• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

question?????????

CWM

Is it possible to write your opinions without making fun of CB lingo? All CBers don't talk that way and it's just a culture difference in on-air behavior that does not imply CBers to be stupid dolts and all truck drivers operate the so-called "Freeband," or the bottom part of the 10 meter amateur band.

Your way of writing isn't going to convince anyone of operating legally if you're going to constantly poke fun at their on-air behavior.

o

Given a choice and taking into consideration cost, I *think* SSB is the answer. It is why SSB was favored over AM to start with--because of the more efficient use of spectrum. There have been experiments with AM and FM is being tightened up on other bands. Not cost-effective when SSB is staring them in the face. Could they do it with SSB only and 'scrunch' up the 40 channels more? Maybe. How about the "A" channels? Are they still in force? Used? Heck, I don't know.

In reality, what they seem to be doing to answer the public's communications needs is making space available on VHF and UHF (tho I don't understand what they were thinking when they allowed radios to be built with GMRS channels in them then allowed them to be freely sold to the public. ......who obviously associates these radios with CB's and don't bother to apply for a license).

Let me ask you: If they came up with a VHF FM CB radio with----say,10-20 watts, would you forsake the noisy, unreliable CB radios of today? Just curious. That's where CB is probably going in the future. :D

CWM

I am puzzled about the GMRS. First as you say coupling with FRS channels , then requiring a license. You don't have to ID so there is know control just like CB. No one knows who is licensed or not. A lot of unlicensed people talk on the GMRS channels. It seems like a money gimmick.

bandaid kid said:
CWM

Is it possible to write your opinions without making fun of CB lingo? All CBers don't talk that way and it's just a culture difference in on-air behavior that does not imply CBers to be stupid dolts and all truck drivers operate the so-called "Freeband," or the bottom part of the 10 meter amateur band.

Your way of writing isn't going to convince anyone of operating legally if you're going to constantly poke fun at their on-air behavior.

When I write these quotes, I am simply quoting what I hear. I mean, it isn't as if it isn't accurate. I hear that all the time on 27 MHZ.

I never said ALL truck drivers operate on 10 Meters. :? SOME do, but the ones that DO really p*** me off! :evil:

CWM

Sonwatcher said:
I am puzzled about the GMRS. First as you say coupling with FRS channels , then requiring a license. You don't have to ID so there is know control just like CB. No one knows who is licensed or not. A lot of unlicensed people talk on the GMRS channels. It seems like a money gimmick.

Well, what I was TRYING to say was, that if there was a VHF FM CB service, I wouldn't think they'd allow repeaters. Repeaters ARE on GMRS, so if you wanted larger coverage, they'd prolly want you to apply for and use GMRS. ONE (I'm getting tired and ready to quit this) of the services has channels that are actually on GMRS (simplex). GMRS requires a license, but they allowed one of the unlicensed services to have channels in the radios that will operate there (which one is it, FRS or MURS---FRS, I thought). So why would they do that?

CWM

(CWM WROTE) Let me ask you: If they came up with a VHF FM CB radio with----say,10-20 watts, would you forsake the noisy, unreliable CB radios of today? Just curious. That's where CB is probably going in the future.

Sure would, I would like to have a murs legal radio now, if I could find one that wasn't a stinking ht, and cost 200 bucks. That is expensive for just 5 freqs.
Its a shame really when a ft2800 sells for 153.00, could get one of those but it wouldn't be legal :twisted: :roll: ;)

yama junk owna said:
(CWM WROTE) Let me ask you: If they came up with a VHF FM CB radio with----say,10-20 watts, would you forsake the noisy, unreliable CB radios of today? Just curious. That's where CB is probably going in the future.

Sure would, I would like to have a murs legal radio now, if I could find one that wasn't a stinking ht, and cost 200 bucks. That is expensive for just 5 freqs.
Its a shame really when a ft2800 sells for 153.00, could get one of those but it wouldn't be legal :twisted: :roll: ;)

Don't quote me, but I'd be willing to take odds that in just a few years that there will be additional frequencies alloted to either MURS or FRS--even some else we ain't heard of yet. Ya know, I wonder what they will do with those TV frequencies when it all goes to digital!@ ;)

CWM

digital is a mode, not a freq. So broadcast TV will still be using the same freqs, just with more programming. That is what will happen to those TV frequencies when it goes digital.

The whole mess with FRG/GMRS is a baiting game. MURS is also a joke.

I thought the frequencies were going to change as well. Oh, well, maybe not. Those "grapes" told me they would (heard it thru the grapevine) :p!

I think there will be sections of VHF spectrum that will be available for *something* in a few years so why not add some for CB and allow for mobile radios, etc?

CWM

o

frmboybuck said:
10 meters is alot quieter than CB. I can talk farther on it

UPS, FedEx, United Van Lines, Tidewater Transit, Superior Carriers, Quality Carriers, Schneider, J W Randolph, and a large list of drivers thought so, too! ........................................Until they got this" :shock:

"Evidence before the Commission indicates that you have been operating transmitting equipment without license on 28.085 MHZ AM. Be advised that this is a violation of Title 47 US Code as amended.......................................

You are requested to call me as soon as possible to discuss this matter.

RH
FCC Special Counsel for Amateur Enforcement
Gettysburg, PA."

With all the attention being paid to this issue these days, I would stay OFF 10 Meters unless you do have license for same.
:shock:

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.