• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quick! Everyone run out and get one before they're gone!!!

I just bought everyone in this thread one, I’m gonna need shipping addresses for you guys. I expect all of you to get your radios tuned up and get on the air. Mr 338 has given out a secret, use it.

I just ordered a brand new 2995dx for kicks, so I want to hear y’all filling up the receive. If this kit works on real amateur radios, I’ll fire up the 897 and talk to some of you there.

All my radio power connections are soldered and covered with heat shrink tubing, but it does look like he has a couple sizes of nylon screw mount cable organizers (whatever you call them). Those I like, but I can’t remember ever buying any. Besides other salvaged hardware, I have a bin full of those that came from microwaves, wash machines, you name it. They're great for routing and fastening your wires on the firewall or other places.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
Cheep tiwaneese connecters guarentted to fail when needed most.as Handy Andy said bad wires in trailers...had my share of them.spend 2 hours of my time getting lites to work got old

Ah, but when you were done you were able to see the "light" you can't put a price on that!

That is what the guy behind me would say - and in some cases, while they're taking a quick turn to the restroom to "clean up" and "powder their nose". Especially when they have gone past the "keeping your tail feathers warm" to "Sniffing your tailpipe" and other nonesuch closer than comfortable attributes

So, having a box of Butt connectors can save your butt, so to see the CB - it makes me think that it is an error is transposition - and you don't want that.

So it's a good call LC, saves our butts from making an even bigger mistake in losing ours...

Reactions: Rwb and 357magnum
I can't say I never used them in a pinch . But the cheap ones from HF ? I'm tapping out . I always spend the extra $'s & get the type made by 3M . Who knows probably all made in the same place & I'm just spending more . I do use the shrink tubing from HF when making the battery for my old Turner + 2 hand mic it's easier to stack the little watch batteries in then wrapping them w/ elec. tape & it cheap way to make that battery .:)

Reactions: Rwb
I never use scotch locks anymore. When I installed cell phones in cars they came with the Motorola phones. We learned really quick, there is nothing worse than a car coming back 3 months later with bad connections. Corrosion is the #1 failure I have seen with these. A dab of dielectric grease inside would help if you had to use one in a pinch. If I don't solder and heat shrink, I will use but splice crimp connectors. Fill both ends with dielectric and insert wires and crimp. Silicone RTV can be used in a pinch too.

Last edited:
I can't say I never used them in a pinch . But the cheap ones from HF ? I'm tapping out . I always spend the extra $'s & get the type made by 3M . Who knows probably all made in the same place & I'm just spending more . I do use the shrink tubing from HF when making the battery for my old Turner + 2 hand mic it's easier to stack the little watch batteries in then wrapping them w/ elec. tape & it cheap way to make that battery .:)
i foound a place on ebay in nevada that has those batterys for turner mics priced very low and they last too.send me a pm n i will giveyou the details.but be afternoon when i reply got to go to town in a few minutes

Reactions: 357magnum
I never use scotch locks anymore. When I installed cell phones in cars they came with the Motorola phones. We learned really quick, there is nothing worse than a car coming back 3 months later with bad connections. Corrosion is the #1 failure I have seen with these. A dab of dielectric grease inside would help if you had to use one in a pinch. If I don't solder and heat shrink, I will use but splice crimp connectors. Fill both ends with dielectric and insert wires and crimp. Silicone RTV can be used in a pinch too.

Last time I installed a cell phone in a vehicle I was carrying a lunch box. LOL

vintage-black-vintage-metal.jpg

I'm surprised the seller even offers free shipping.

It's hard to believe this guy is for real. I checked his feedback to see what people have (supposedly) purchased from him. There is a feedback from a buyer who bought an 8 oz bottle E-Z Bond glue for $65.00. The same can be bought on Amazon for $25.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorilla-77...=item48b9ac3be3:g:b8QAAOSwAbxcBUme:rk:29:pf:0

He also has an ad for a small bottle of Gorilla glue for $25.00. This can be bought anywhere locally for $3.00.

A sucker born every minute type of buyers are what his ads are reaching to.

I actually use those connectors for a lot of projects. Pull the connector out of the insulation, crimp, solder and heat shrink. Is there a better way to make connections other than crimp connectors? I've tried twisting wires together bare, but there is always sharp edges that damages the heat shrink.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.