• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ranger rci 2960jp

how much should it cost to have both ourput transistors replaced on thd 2960 jp

If your talking about the two Toshiba 2290 finals you probably don't want to know. Toshiba has stopped making them and the few that are left are very expensive. Here is a link for just the finals, you will have to pay a tech for the install and shipping.

https://www.rfparts.com/2sc2290-mp.html

https://www.rfparts.com/2sc2290a-mp.html

And if you find them on e-bay or something really cheap you can bet they are fake one's from china. Good luck.

Looks like Ranger was smart enough to leave the echo out of that one.

Well this just landed in my lap.......

There is a 4 pin mic jack in the back and a small hole on the left side, any idea what or why ? EDIT - Bullet Bob said that he used to build noise toy boxes that would plug in to the rear mic jack.20211208_153514.jpg 20211208_153507.jpg 20211208_153607.jpg 20211208_153615.jpg 20211208_153646.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Gonna make sideband sound like doo-doo. Bonus is that it's also a good way to clobber both the radio finals and/or linear transistors. Sideband transmit will work them to death unless the mike gain gets played like a violin. Doesn't do any favors for AM-audio quality, either.

There is a 'back door' fix to prevent this if you don't have a supply of 2SC945 to install at Q39. Pull the transistor at Q57. This is also a 2SC945. Q57 is the sensing transistor for the AM-only modulation limiter. Opens up AM, but when a transistor is put back into Q39, this restores sideband limiting/ALC. If you properly adjust VR13, naturally.

If you fancy using sideband, this is a lesser-evil solution.

Well I sent mine off to OT03 (Denny) to get unf@#$%d and he tells me that it is performing well. USPS delivered it back to me today, but I won't be home for a few more days. Looking forward to running this rig.

I had him wire nb/anl always on and used the abandoned switch for amplifier on/off, going to have him do the same on the 6300f150 that I'm currently using.

Todd

Nice looking radio, there are 2 NOS units on ebay at the moment.

2960fjp
Those are really not too far off what my total investment is, but after sitting since '99, probably going to need a few caps.

I also found it interesting that every pic that I find indicates 3 bands, however mine has a 6 band control and the ebay listing states 6 band also.......smells fishy.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.