• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950CD owners chime in.. new owner here

Added a new MFJ SWR meter on output. SSB rings just under 300w when whistling at 1:30 power position on 2950. Comes in at 19w without amp on again when whistling.

AM RMS reads 110w at 7am low power setting. Which I know can't be right..

Mainly got for the SWR meter and SSB

IMG_20190214_183847596_LL~2.jpg

Why is the AM reading not right?

Have no idea. On my other MFJ it said the same for DK..

110-120 would be high. Supposed to be no higher than 80 I heard for the 350..

I checked without and at like 8 am it's 2w output from 2950. That's all I worry about. And the TS350 meter is at 6 which I heard is proper spot for a DK.. swings a tiny bit like 6-7 on the TS350 meter.

Any one see a rf output drop off on 10 meters?
Full output on 11 meters, go to 10 & down about 50%
Antenna is fine, even shows same on dummy load.
Any thoughts?

In other news with power knob down at 8 o'clock and my TS350 V in variable mode I'm doing a 60w dk with the TS350 variable knob all the way up.. running 45-50w with power knob all the way down on the 2950.

With the 2950CD at lowest I see a 2.25w dk on the MFJ-822. Which has a 2w minimum per the spec sheet.. At noon position I'm showing a 10-11w dk.

The TS350 meter is showing 4-6 when modulating in AM.. vs the 6-7 without the variable on. Also double checked MFJ is showing a flat 105-110w dk without variable knob on..

All the videos I have seen just say run with knob all the way down for AM and all the way up for SSB when running a 350..

I run my SSB at like 1 o'clock.

I am running 13.8vDC power supply.

Now you see why it's not ideal to run an amp with a radio that can easily over drive it.

It really sounds like your dead key is a little higher than the amp likes. Also, you really can't measure a 2.25 watt dead key with that meter into an antenna and expect it to be accurate. It is pretty much a decent guess at that point.

I'm not seeing the modulated output on AM, so it's kinda hard to say what to do. You could try turning the variable on with the amp all the way up and adjust the power at the radio to get the dead key you are looking for. Unfortunately the Texas star variable pots are known for burning out when used. Can't really win I guess.

Now you see why it's not ideal to run an amp with a radio that can easily over drive it.

It really sounds like your dead key is a little higher than the amp likes. Also, you really can't measure a 2.25 watt dead key with that meter into an antenna and expect it to be accurate. It is pretty much a decent guess at that point.

I'm not seeing the modulated output on AM, so it's kinda hard to say what to do. You could try turning the variable on with the amp all the way up and adjust the power at the radio to get the dead key you are looking for. Unfortunately the Texas star variable pots are known for burning out when used. Can't really win I guess.

May adjust AM low pot inside to lower about more.. (y)

Reactions: 338_MtRushmore
I always heard the pot on the TS was a weak point. Both my old T stars had em and I never turned back off wife open. Always adjusted output of amp with how much drive I put into it.

When I had my 350 hdv back in the day at some point or another that stupid pot was replaced with a two position switch with some heavy-duty resistors behind it.... that's what I used on AM...

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?