• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

RCI-2950CD owners chime in.. new owner here

I've been looking at prices on eBay. It's seem one has toto pay an extra Benjamin for the blue display?

A new 2950CD should be about $325 or so.. even on eBay. I paid $295 but that wasn't on eBay, though it was drop shipped from LessCo whom has them at the same $325.

Works great so far and apparently right on frequency per several conversations thus far on SSB.

Off today so I'm hoping the bands open up abit.

Well after studying my TS350 output on SSB it's doing about 120-140 RMS on the MFJ822 meter with normal voice at about 1 o'clock on the 2950 power knob and mic gain at like 2.. which is 15-20w without the AMP.

If I whistle I can peg the MFJ822 needle at 300 and the TS350 would say a little over 8 on the meter.

On AM the 2950 is pushing almost 3w dk using the MFJ822 meter and dk on the TS350 is about 105w.. which again I don't really run this on AM.

I am running 13.6 or 13.8vDC which may have an impact on the DK.

Need to find time and a proper adjustment tool for the AM low power pot to drop to 1.5-2w.. suggestions for a cheap set appreciated.. I see different types. Id like to spend $10 or so for the tool.

Radio still chugging along.. local RF noise has been unreal on AM lately even when on pure battery power..

The nearby power pole transformer is like 35' away or so..

Last edited:
Well after studying my TS350 output on SSB it's doing about 120-140 RMS on the MFJ822 meter with normal voice at about 1 o'clock on the 2950 power knob and mic gain at like 2.. which is 15-20w without the AMP.

If I whistle I can peg the MFJ822 needle at 300 and the TS350 would say a little over 8 on the meter.

On AM the 2950 is pushing almost 3w dk using the MFJ822 meter and dk on the TS350 is about 105w.. which again I don't really run this on AM.

I am running 13.6 or 13.8vDC which may have an impact on the DK.

Need to find time and a proper adjustment tool for the AM low power pot to drop to 1.5-2w.. suggestions for a cheap set appreciated.. I see different types. Id like to spend $10 or so for the tool.

Honestly on a TS350 you're better off just fixing the input swamping so it'll take a normal radio with the "dial a watt" switch turned on for AM use. Might take talking to a few people but its probably about $5 in parts to get the right value resistor in there to swamp a 4W dead key.

Some radios "get weird" with super low dead keys. This is a case where if it was me, I'd rather swamp the amp input. If its done right the resistors won't burn up, either. Mine lasted forever with an HR2510 hitting them at 10W... but those radios didn't swing that much.

Honestly on a TS350 you're better off just fixing the input swamping so it'll take a normal radio with the "dial a watt" switch turned on for AM use. Might take talking to a few people but its probably about $5 in parts to get the right value resistor in there to swamp a 4W dead key.

Some radios "get weird" with super low dead keys. This is a case where if it was me, I'd rather swamp the amp input. If its done right the resistors won't burn up, either. Mine lasted forever with an HR2510 hitting them at 10W... but those radios didn't swing that much.

Well to cut the 3w to 2w or so and get to the 60w DK with the amp on, I can cut the 'Dial a Watt' on now to do it. I just hate having to do the dial a watt for AM and wide open for SSB. I actually get a 45w dk with DAW at 3 oclock and just a hair more gets me 60w.

I don't mind turning down the RF power knob from 1 for SSB to 7am for AM.

Again cracking the 2950 open to lower the AM pot for a 2w or 1.75w dk for AM seems easier for me to do vs playing with the Texas Star guts as I'm not very good with circuits and such.

I dead key 150 and swing to 375. The radio dk is 3 and swings to about 16. Ideally with a 100% modulated signal the dk should be 1/4 of your peak but I run it on side band mostly. I don't jabber jaw with it and usually key down for less than 10 seconds at a time so it doesn't make a lot of heat on AM.

Reactions: CB590
Well to cut the 3w to 2w or so and get to the 60w DK with the amp on, I can cut the 'Dial a Watt' on now to do it. I just hate having to do the dial a watt for AM and wide open for SSB. I actually get a 45w dk with DAW at 3 oclock and just a hair more gets me 60w.

For some reason my mind skipped a step and I thought it was one of those deals where someone had blown out the pot or something. Hell in that case if the DAW pot works fine I would just keep using that.

I dead key 150 and swing to 375. The radio dk is 3 and swings to about 16. Ideally with a 100% modulated signal the dk should be 1/4 of your peak but I run it on side band mostly. I don't jabber jaw with it and usually key down for less than 10 seconds at a time so it doesn't make a lot of heat on AM.

You're somehow getting that out of a DX350? Hell back in the day with mine, even with real Toshibas, I think 300 was pretty much the max on 14vdc. (and I never ran it that hard because the linearity was obviously compromised at that point.).

Did some testing.

I'm at 1.3:1 SWR on channel 1 (26.965) and 1.3:1 at 27.695 with the TS350 on.

Was testing the range with the amp on and the A99 antenna.

I'm at 1.4:1 on 26.915 and flat from like channel 18 and up thru 27.555 which is my other favorite freq..

I may retune the A99 once the weather breaks but I doubt it as I dabble more on the uppers than the lowerals.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.