• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Requirements for DX

radio

I bought my galaxy used on ebay, someone who didn't have a decent antenna and couldn't say that the transmit was working. They said it was under a year old. I took the chance and bought it and the transmit is workin just fine, let me tell you.

ND88 I have been following your progress with the new set up and SSB. You may have answered some questions with the above quote. The odds of the radio not being "tweaked" is pretty small. There are so many golden screwdrivers that supposedly work on equipment that really don't have a clue is scarey.
You definately don't want your clarifier unlocked. Your clarifier is for YOU to tune them in to get a clear signal, not the other way around. Did you get the PM I sent with the email address for the shop?

I have been following this thread ND88 so I'm glad to hear you made a couple of contacts. As I'm sure your aware, being off Frequency and Galaxy go together. JK guys, take it easy.

I shoot skip on 28 mostly. Conditions change day to day even hour to hour. I think I'm telling you this and myself. Last week or two I have not made one contact. Kinda burned out... Haha :)

:headbang I know what you mean, 28 has a lot of guns on it, and I mean BIG GUNS. There is one close to me and I know I'm not on the backside of his beam, but he will never acknowledge when I ask for a break, so I just listen for now, eventually I'll get some fire as well. It was the same over 45 years ago when I had a Contex 500 with HYGain 3 element, just live with it. 73's to all, good day (as Paul Harvey would say)

kept calling CQ today on 38lsb, I always say "trying" after I call, a guy heard me and was getting maaaad. Kept saying "To the guy that's trying, try getting on frequency so we can hear you." He was getting upset about it because i kept "Trying" by turning my clarifier a little and calling again, guess that wasn't helping. how do I get on frequency, unlock my clarifier?
Kinda afraid to keep transmitting until it's fixed, i don't want to annoy people.

Last edited:
prob better to take the radio to a person that can put it on freq inside the radio..thats better really.

i have a 30-35 yr old radio that has been" i think its called" (unlocked)
i have to have them tuned in perfect for me to be tuned in perfect on there end..when correct it is fine,but if i have it perfect and change it to hear someone else thats off freq then im off freq to the next guy i talk too.

my rci2995dx is stock,and much nicer imo.
i am never off freq and can tune in anyone else that is off freq and it dont affect my freq..

talk to someone and ask them if your freq canges when you turn your freq dial?
if so its been unlocked,,and once you get it right leave it there..

if not i would leave it alone and have it adjusted inside the radio,,that way you will always be on freq after its fixed,and when you tune someone in to understand them your freq will always be the same..

then get another freq counter if ya want so you can tell them its them thats off freq and not you when your positive your running perfectly on freq;)

Should I just get a better radio for ssb that is gonna be on frequency right out of the box? Might look for like a used Uniden of some kind. I've only read good things about their ssb performance. Everyone says the galaxy drifts, i'm starting to see what they mean.

kept calling CQ today on 38lsb, I always say "trying" after I call, a guy heard me and was getting maaaad. Kept saying "To the guy that's trying, try getting on frequency so we can hear you." He was getting upset about it because i kept "Trying" by turning my clarifier a little and calling again, guess that wasn't helping. how do I get on frequency, unlock my clarifier?
Kinda afraid to keep transmitting until it's fixed, i don't want to annoy people.

I was trying to get a guy in Scotland this a.m. and he said he was going to 27.370 to stand by. I think what he was doing was letting everyone know that he was getting away from 27.385 (38 lsb) as it was busy. I dropped down to 37 lsb only to find that the freq' is 27.375. His clarifier is def' unlocked hence the advantage of an unlocked clarifier. With an external frequency counter you could tune your transmission as well as receive to that frequency. I believe I am understanding this correctly so please correct me if I'm wrong. Congrats on the contacts.

I was trying to get a guy in Scotland this a.m. and he said he was going to 27.370 to stand by. I think what he was doing was letting everyone know that he was getting away from 27.385 (38 lsb) as it was busy. I dropped down to 37 lsb only to find that the freq' is 27.375. His clarifier is def' unlocked hence the advantage of an unlocked clarifier. With an external frequency counter you could tune your transmission as well as receive to that frequency. I believe I am understanding this correctly so please correct me if I'm wrong. Congrats on the contacts.
With an unlocked clarifier you have the ability to go between channels if the radio "slides" enough. Most will do at least 10kc which is enough. The other option is to have a radio that uses a VFO (Variable frequency oscillator) in which case you would just spin the dial to the freq you want. Some of the export rigs have a sudo vfo that works and all, except very old ham HF rigs VFO's.

Reactions: 1 person
If you want to get really into ssb some radios you might look at RCI 2950/70, CRE 9800, Magnum 257hp or Uniden Grant XL and Cobra 148. All are top ssb performers. I would recommend the Uniden 980, but I don't know if you can mod it for a low dead key.

If you want to get really into ssb some radios you might look at RCI 2950/70, CRE 9800, Magnum 257hp or Uniden Grant XL and Cobra 148. All are top ssb performers. I would recommend the Uniden 980, but I don't know if you can mod it for a low dead key.

If you REALLY want to get into SSB avoid the exports and get a ham rig. The Rangers are nice but are nothing compared to a good quality ham rig. If that is not possible then look at the Rangers and like mentioned above.

Like an Icom 718?

Nick, I was looking at the Uniden Grant XL. is that radio superior to the galaxy 959 on ssb?
There was also this smaller ssb uniden unit somebody posted about on here, but i can't remember the name of it. Said it really packs a punch ssb, very loud and on frequency.

Like an Icom 718?

Nick, I was looking at the Uniden Grant XL. is that radio superior to the galaxy 959 on ssb?
There was also this smaller ssb uniden unit somebody posted about on here, but i can't remember the name of it. Said it really packs a punch ssb, very loud and on frequency.

The Grant XL is far superior on ssb.

Yes you can lower the deadkey I believe.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.