• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Requirements for DX

You guys are just too close. Study antennas a little to learn about angle of radiation and how the signal bounces of the ionosphere AND Earth for those DX CONTACTS. Maybe use a globe of the earth and mark your contacts to get an idea where you get the bounces.

Reactions: 1 person
I made it to Frankfurt, Germany and tried to get 019 Germany but too much noise. I don't have a log so can't remember the number of the Irishman I contacted last week.

Emerald 55 just outside of Dublin Ireland is a big one. On there everyday. I am creating a spreadsheet for a 3 ring binder I will be using as a log book if anyone is interested. Using tabs and subtabs for countries etc. Will have a place for notes, date,call #'s and specific locations and such. In less than 2 weeks I have 5 pages of contacts and has turned into a royal cluster trying to keep track of everyone. You can setup subtabs for individual states here in the US or whatever.

It will be a .XLS I believe and will send it to anyone who wants it. In the process of laying it out and the wife will take a look at it to make changes if needed. You can just print it out on 8.5x11" 3 hole paper, get yourself some tabs, binder and good to go.

I will post a new thread when it's done in the next couple of days.

You guys are just too close. Study antennas a little to learn about angle of radiation and how the signal bounces of the ionosphere AND Earth for those DX CONTACTS. Maybe use a globe of the earth and mark your contacts to get an idea where you get the bounces.

DX is weird as I have found out sometimes. Being too close may not explain it completely. I hear guys from NY all the time. Closer than RI but never even hear RI. Talk to Italy and yet can't get NY even hearing them. Angle of the bounce does have to do with it but I tend to think it's more to do with conditions most of the time. Just my experience.

Anyone hear the guy from Ireland in there yesterday on 38lsb ? He was hilarious he was sitting in the rocking chair drinking a Guinness an viewing the emerald isle . There was about 5 of us all over the US having a QSO with him . He was on around 5.00 pm.

I was one of the folks talking to him! I caught him once in the afternoon too. He was hitting me with +40. All I could hear was him.

DX is weird as I have found out sometimes. Being too close may not explain it completely. I hear guys from NY all the time. Closer than RI but never even hear RI. Talk to Italy and yet can't get NY even hearing them. Angle of the bounce does have to do with it but I tend to think it's more to do with conditions most of the time. Just my experience.

It happens to me all the time with other locals. We have multiple portables down here on 38lsb and the other day I actually passed one and we could only talk for about a mile while all of skipland kept coming back to both of us for the next 1/2 hour as we got further and further from each other. I hear people coming back to folks all over Florida (some 'locals' in FL over 500 miles away, some only 10) and I can never hear them, only the DX.
At night when skip lays down I can easily talk to another Florida portable 60 or so miles away. I believe the waves that would need to reflect off the ionosphere to allow local contacts pass through into space...so it is entirely possible aliens are also getting annoyed by the blue waffle, jetson doorbell and roger beeps. lol Somewhere the ARRL has a diagram that shows how it works but I can't find it right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone hear the guy from Ireland in there yesterday on 38lsb ? He was hilarious he was sitting in the rocking chair drinking a Guinness an viewing the emerald isle . There was about 5 of us all over the US having a QSO with him . He was on around 5.00 pm .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

if your talking about 055 "norm" he is a nice guy to talk to and have a laugh with for sure..i have him logged on the 12th also..great guy!

I was one of the folks talking to him! I caught him once in the afternoon too. He was hitting me with +40. All I could hear was him.

def funny how i can talk 3-6000 miles and not hear most fl locals..i can talk to north fl 50 miles away a few times a week and 20 miles most the time,but hear other people from other countrys talking to guys that live all around me,,but can only hear the guys far away lol..
maybe the horizontal quad will get me the locals on the flat side..testing it out today hopefully:tongue:
W9cll i hope to hear my echo via longpath someday, as i didnt no that was possible..learn something everyday.

def funny how i can talk 3-6000 miles and not hear most fl locals..i can talk to north fl 50 miles away a few times a week and 20 miles most the time,but hear other people from other countrys talking to guys that live all around me,,but can only hear the guys far away lol..
maybe the horizontal quad will get me the locals on the flat side..testing it out today hopefully:tongue:
W9cll i hope to hear my echo via longpath someday, as i didnt no that was possible..learn something everyday.

It is annoying hearing folks coming back to Pensacola, Tampa, Palm Beach and Ft Laud all day long and never hear the person on the sandpile stirring them up.

I've had many different antennas through the years from DIY dipoles to Moonrakers and this has pretty much always been the case.

Dunno if it's just me, but conditions have totally dropped out today. I'm hardly getting anything. most of the skip i'm hearing is the mexicans.

it's not just you. dead silent here although all my stuff is coated in ice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.