• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retailers Breakin the Law?

The reason they get by is because of the lack of adequate funding to FCC. IOW, Congress gives them a job to do and then jerks the $$ out from under them. Don't think this hasn't been pointed out--and will continue to be--because it HAS. The agency has "X" number of dollars and personnel to do the job.

And, BTW, they ARE aware of the illegal Cobra stuff. I expect there will be more on the subject in the future.

I, too, deplore the entry of the bootleg radios and regard the importers and dealers of this stiff with contempt. :evil: I only can hope that the situation will improve. :? To continue to allow the importation of this crap will invite disaster to HF radio users all over.

CWM

Re: o

C W Morse said:
CB radio certainly is not the most important radio "service" we have. Neither is Amateur, tho higher up in the relative importance of service to the community.

CWM

If we had a magic wand and could make either of the services just dissapear, I imagine the consequences of loosing CB radio would be far worse. I imagine that the hams could handle the loss of their radio much better than all the truckers and other CB users.

The a local dump and a trucking company both use CB radio as their dispatch and they orchastrate the movement of their machines through this service. Even though there is an elaborate repeater system in my area, it is used for nothing more than just casual speak. While hams may be primmed and ready to perform a service during a disaster, nothing ever happens.

It's kind of like saying that consumer automobiles are less important than ambulances and fire trucks.

I worry about how easy it is to import illegal stuff into this country. Who is to say that crate of illegal Cobras is not a load of suitcase nukes?

Re: o

C2 said:
I worry about how easy it is to import illegal stuff into this country. Who is to say that crate of illegal Cobras is not a load of suitcase nukes?

This is why I say that everyone knows what is going on with the export radios, cause I just don't see these companys sneaking that many items past customs. Were talking thousands of radios, great big box loads seems they would be easy to find as they come off the ships if the FCC was really looking. Gets back to MONEY there is big money in these radios peng or whomever slips someone a little under the table the problem goes away, till the arrl goes to squalling, then FCC goes jumps on a truck stop for selling them so they can say .see we are trying to stop them!

Lets take this up a notch........Do you really think 1-25 containers of imported goods is going to get by US Customs in this day and age :?: :roll: :roll:

Playing this" WA-Wa_Wa" card does not work....Look at the "Grey Car" industry. Can't find what you want stateside....call a import dealer with your specs.......PAY the $$$$, in bound it comes,go pick it up... BUT to run that automobile "LEGALLY" in the U.S.A you must bring it up to "Legal" specs at YOUR OWN expense.......Sound familiar......these radios are illegal when?? If converted or more technically when used on the "Wrong" bands :?: :?:

Is it illegal to purchase an item for future or collectable status :?: A military friend finds a "vintage-officers " car overseas and we decide to purchase it,ship it back here and run it........If we obtain all the "LEGAL" paperwork,put it through it's paces to run it here ,can I not purchase it :?: :?:

Just a few questions from the "Northeast Corner"..

Snoope back hiding in the snow......Ho-Ho-Ho

These radios are not supposed to be sold or imported by anyone by law in the US . It is interesting that they can so easily make it into the marketplace. While the F C C spends so much money to go after dealers they seem to leave the supply untouched.Sounds a little messed up.I find it strange to totally claim it's the F c c"s lack of funds. They come through Customs.

he Commission has further concluded that these devices fall within the definition of a CB transmitter and therefore cannot legally be imported or marketed in the United States. See Response from the Commission's General Counsel to U.S. Customs Service dated May 17, 1999, 14 FCC Rcd 7797 (1999).

snoope said:
Lets take this up a notch........Do you really think 1-25 containers of imported goods is going to get by US Customs in this day and age :?: :roll: :roll:

Playing this" WA-Wa_Wa" card does not work....Look at the "Grey Car" industry. Can't find what you want stateside....call a import dealer with your specs.......PAY the $$$$, in bound it comes,go pick it up... BUT to run that automobile "LEGALLY" in the U.S.A you must bring it up to "Legal" specs at YOUR OWN expense.......Sound familiar......these radios are illegal when?? If converted or more technically when used on the "Wrong" bands :?: :?:

Is it illegal to purchase an item for future or collectable status :?: A military friend finds a "vintage-officers " car overseas and we decide to purchase it,ship it back here and run it........If we obtain all the "LEGAL" paperwork,put it through it's paces to run it here ,can I not purchase it :?: :?:

Just a few questions from the "Northeast Corner"..

Snoope back hiding in the snow......Ho-Ho-Ho

Snoope,
Your 100% right in what your saying Dude. Good Post

It's a circle of dollars, and, greed

"This is why I say that everyone knows what is going on with the export radios, cause I just don't see these companys sneaking that many items past customs. Were talking thousands of radios, great big box loads seems they would be easy to find as they come off the ships if the FCC was really looking."

When the FCC picked 11m for CB, they said it was due to the high cost of UHF equipment at that time (true). Question: What were their true motives? Commerce.

Let's jump ahead to the present. The FCC is a money sucking operation that will try to sell as much airspace as possible. They are salesmen/auctioneers.

Back to the past. As a money sucking operation, the FCC knew that they wouldn't get many licenses if it were in the UHF spectrum. And, license fee's brought in $$$. Manufacturers and retail stores would die on the vine. 11m pumps a lot of money into the economy.

The circle of greed is easy to see - it's been there all the time. CBer's buy illegal amps, etc. because of a lack of enforcement. This "happy" period lasts for awhile, then the Feds spend a few years making sweeps and collecting fines. And then it qets quiet again. Things go back to business as usual.

Export radios are sold all over, and they too enjoy their "Happy" period. Then the Feds make their sweeps of the retailers and wholesale outfits collecting even bigger fines. And then it gets quiet again, and things go back to business as usual.

This has been going on for a long time (at least since I got into CB in the sixties)

HY Electronics / Copper sell a variety of illegal stuff, and every few years they get busted, pay their big fines, and then it's business as usual. Why? It's not a matter of being under-manned, hell, it only takes a few minutes to check out their websites, or even request a free catalog.

The FCC has a good thing going for them, and they know it. They won't kill the golden goose.

Sonwatcher said:
These radios are not supposed to be sold or imported by anyone by law in the US . It is interesting that they can so easily make it into the marketplace. While the F C C spends so much money to go after dealers they seem to leave the supply untouched.Sounds a little messed up.I find it strange to totally claim it's the F c c"s lack of funds. They come through Customs.

quote]

Not necessarily. Don't some of them come in as parts and then are assembled here? Maybe that's how they appear to get so many past Customs. Just guessing.

CWM

Re: It's a circle of dollars, and, greed

Thestonerguy said:
"This is why I say that everyone knows what is going on with the export radios, cause I just don't see these companys sneaking that many items past customs. Were talking thousands of radios, great big box loads seems they would be easy to find as they come off the ships if the FCC was really looking."

Not quite. It *may* have been winked at until the people starting filching 10 and 12 Meters. Then they had to act on the complaints and because of treaty issues.
------------------------------------------------------------
When the FCC picked 11m for CB, they said it was due to the high cost of UHF equipment at that time (true). Question: What were their true motives? Commerce.
Yes and no. We are talking 1958 when UHF equipment was exorbitantly expensive compared to the then-common HF radios. Lots of agencies were on Lo VHF for many, many years because of this.

Commerce? Yes. It simply made sense at the time because they knew the public would likely BUY the 27 MHZ sets as opposed to the UHF stuff.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Let's jump ahead to the present. The FCC is a money sucking operation that will try to sell as much airspace as possible. They are salesmen/auctioneers.
Wrong. FCC gains nothing from the "sale" of spectrum as they operate on a budget that is allocated by Congress. Any revenue generated by FCC, including fines and license fees, goes to the US General Fund.
Back to the past. As a money sucking operation, the FCC knew that they wouldn't get many licenses if it were in the UHF spectrum. And, license fee's brought in $$$. Manufacturers and retail stores would die on the vine. 11m pumps a lot of money into the economy.
Partly true. They are charged by Congress and the Act that created the agency with facilitating and managing spectrum that generates revenue, stimulates the economy, and promotes
jobs. None of said money goes to FCC.
The circle of greed is easy to see - it's been there all the time. CBer's buy illegal amps, etc. because of a lack of enforcement. This "happy" period lasts for awhile, then the Feds spend a few years making sweeps and collecting fines. And then it qets quiet again. Things go back to business as usual.

Until it became apparent that CB users were not going to be content with staying in their own pasture, then they HAD to act. This latest cycle of enforcement was caused, in large part, by the theft of spectrum by illegal operators. Had they NOT strayed out of the 40 channels, they STILL would be asleep!
------------------------------------------------------------

Export radios are sold all over, and they too enjoy their "Happy" period. Then the Feds make their sweeps of the retailers and wholesale outfits collecting even bigger fines. And then it gets quiet again, and things go back to business as usual.
It is still all about enforcing the law fairly and equitibly, not "fines". FCC goes not collect fines for themselves. It goes into the General Fund. In fact there is a political reason for it.
It is to prevent agents from going after radio users unfairly or purposefully generating "violations" to line the agency's pockets
(or their own). Kinda like cops using speed traps to support the budget of some small hick town. This removes any attempt for the agency (FCC) to become too fat or too money-greedy.

This has been going on for a long time (at least since I got into CB in the sixties)

HY Electronics / Copper sell a variety of illegal stuff, and every few years they get busted, pay their big fines, and then it's business as usual. Why? It's not a matter of being under-manned, hell, it only takes a few minutes to check out their websites, or even request a free catalog.

The FCC has a good thing going for them, and they know it. They won't kill the golden goose.

*They*, as you put it, have NOTHING going for them. They are merely enforcing the Communications Act of 1934 as well as they can considering the budget cuts they suffered in the late 80's. Congress' own fault. If it were up to me (and it isn't), FCC would be aggressively going after the importers of illegal radios, shutting down amp builders such as Dave Made, enforcing the existing Part 95! But in Congress' "wisdom" they have seen fit to CUT FCC's budget while at the same time asking them to do more than they can do with what they have.
FCC DID get a few additional funds after 9/11, but not enough to fully do the job. I HATE it when I hear some unlicensed goon on 10 meters and can only hope the stupid &*^%#@ gets caught. :evil: I can only hope there is a ham observing him and writing down his company info! :shock:

I don't have the answer as to all the "whys" of those blasted "export" radios, nor do I know the solution for it. I just know that there ARE people within FCC working on it, and I can only hope that their efforts will bear fruit! One of the things is the proposed weight station inspections. I also hope they DO get Customs to assist in curbing the sale of the (censored :x ) things. I HATE 'em! :!:

Once again...To enter this country as an" Imported Product" , Do you not need a final destination and / or finished assembled code....Sort of like Toyota building Tacomas here but Importing their "Beds" from Japan......until the two pieces do meet, is it a "finished" product :?: :?:

To believe that "UNCLE" would miss the $$$ brought in by tarriffs,one would think the "electronics $$$" made would more than cover a "FEW" BIG RADIOS......Funny how that "pay as you go" system works :!: :idea: ...........Free enterprise at it's finest ;) :roll: :roll: ..

I for one hope that the "containers" are checked and double checked...for as someone mentioned earlier,what a way to "import "destruction.....What if "Wally World" thought their container had a 1000 flat screen tv's and they actually got 100,000 Al Gore "How to books" and 3 "stink bombs" ;) ;) ..........Hot air and a SMELL :!: :!:
no profit in that unless the Demo's are having a convention :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Snoope back hiding in the snow..........Ho-Ho-Ho

Wrong. FCC gains nothing from the "sale" of spectrum as they operate on a budget that is allocated by Congress. Any revenue generated by FCC, including fines and license fees, goes to the US General Fund.
Granted the FCC gains nothing from the sale of spectrum, or fines and any revenue -- they are the desginated retail outlet for the US Government. Someone yanks their chain from time-to-time. What amazes me the most is that we sell this (airspace). But that's another topic.

Don't some of them come in as parts and then are assembled here?

No, they're all manufactured in China or other far East countries and imported here intact. All you have to do is convert them for use on 11m, just like a ham rig.

BTW, speaking of 9/11 funding, the FCC should really investigate all those illegal Export radios that were sold by 8541 Electronics to local law enforcement and emergency officials in NYC. Oh yeah..they asked for them all to be converted so they could use the Freeband since the legal 40 were jammed up with too much traffic. So not only was government funding being spent on a bunch of illegal radios, they also used illegal frequencies. Maybe the use of the freeband wasn't illegal since it was an emergency.

Oh, the irony...

Moleculo said:
Don't some of them come in as parts and then are assembled here?

No, they're all manufactured in China or other far East countries and imported here intact. All you have to do is convert them for use on 11m, just like a ham rig.

BTW, speaking of 9/11 funding, the FCC should really investigate all those illegal Export radios that were sold by 8541 Electronics to local law enforcement and emergency officials in NYC. Oh yeah..they asked for them all to be converted so they could use the Freeband since the legal 40 were jammed up with too much traffic. So not only was government funding being spent on a bunch of illegal radios, they also used illegal frequencies. Maybe the use of the freeband wasn't illegal since it was an emergency.

Oh, the irony...

The 'Ol "Do as I say, not as I do" routine

John of Panther told me of a number of 2970 radios that were sold to FEMA, with MARS/CAP mods done to them for goverment use. Hmm...must have considered them as a cheap alternative to buying expensive Ham or commercial rigs.
I wonder if that is why they keep the loophole open?

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.