• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Retailers Breakin the Law?

Interesting how much money the FCC collects selling off spectrum-

During his testimony, Martin told Congress that as of Sept. 30, 2004, the revenue generated for the federal government from the commission’s spectrum auction program has totaled $26.8 billion and that the Office of Management and Budget projects auction receipts from Fiscal Years 2006 through 2010 to exceed $18.3 billion after program costs.

AudioShockwav said:
John of Panther told me of a number of 2970 radios that were sold to FEMA, with MARS/CAP mods done to them for goverment use. Hmm...must have considered them as a cheap alternative to buying expensive Ham or commercial rigs.
I wonder if that is why they keep the loophole open?

Jeff

And FEMA is not governed by FCC. Yes, its sort of a double standard, I guess. But remember, too, some of what CBers call "the freeband" is gov't frequencies anyway :) . Some ham equipment IS authorized to operate on gov't frequencies anyway. :p

FEMA is not governed by FCC?

Does that mean FEMA can set up home freq on KGO's freq and the FCC can't do Booogaleee didilydidilydidilydidilydidily Squat?

C2 said:

Does that mean FEMA can set up home freq on KGO's freq and the FCC can't do Booogaleee didilydidilydidilydidilydidily Squat?

I'm gonna check, but I don't think one Federal agency of any type had any jurisdiction over another. And Homeland Security has FEMA. Which gives it a little more punch than the FCC has, which is under Commerce Department.

And, if needed, FEMA could certainly occupy any frequency it needs except military and defense freqs.

C2 said:

Government communications is controlled by National Telecommunications & Information Agency (NTIA). FCC does not control Federal agency communications activities. That includes FEMA, FBI, NSA, Military, Secret Service--any communications activities carried on behalf of the Federal gov't is controlled by NTIA. They can even tell FCC where to go! :shock: Their equipment standards are usually FAR more strict than that of FCC! But since they are the controlling agency, they can permit whatever equipment is needed by whatever agency. And aren't the Ranger series radios APPROVED Amateur radios anyway? :D :D It's only the ones we refer to as "export" radios with bands of channels and are on the FCC "sh** list that are would not be considered for use by the gov't.

It's only the ones we refer to as "export" radios with bands of channels and are on the FCC "sh** list that are would not be considered for use by the gov't.

Uh, CW the 2970 is on the list !

RANGER - models: AR-3500, RCI-2950, RCI-2950-DX and RCI-2970, RCI-6300, RCI-6300 Turbo, RCI-6900, RCI-6900 Turbo

Audio, you're right...it was John at Panther, not Richard at 8541. It's been a little while.......

Anyway, like I said I think the transmissions on the "freeband" are perfectly legal for emergency situations. But purchasing "black market" radios is certainly a questionable, although I don't have a problem with it. Actually, now that I think of it, I think I'll go down to the local ham club and do a presentation on emergency preparedness. Obviously if FEMA is going to be using illegal 10m export radios on the freeband in an emergency situation, I would want all my fellow hams to be notified and have the proper equipment for the job. :LOL: :LOL: :p

Aside from any emergency...

I was thinking more like, I'd be on my way to work expecting to hear my morning traffic report, and one of Brown's (did that guy get fired yet?) operatives would key over it asking if there was going to be doughnuts at the morning FEMA meeting...

Like they would just decide it's OK to use the KGO freq for their 2-way BSing.

Of course it would not happend, but since they have the Rangers, they might decide that channel 19 is good?

:twisted:

Quote:
It's only the ones we refer to as "export" radios with bands of channels and are on the FCC "sh** list that are would not be considered for use by the gov't.

Quote:
RANGER - models: AR-3500, RCI-2950, RCI-2950-DX and RCI-2970, RCI-6300, RCI-6300 Turbo, RCI-6900, RCI-6900 Turbo

This illustrates my previous point to a T!!!! CW, You're talking about how BAAAD all these retailers are for breaking the law, but even YOU when questioned don't know specifically which radios are illegal and you are educated on the subject! How is a retailer like Amazon.com supposed to know the difference when they have ZERO education on the subject???

Moleculo said:
Quote:

Quote:

This illustrates my previous point to a T!!!! CW, You're talking about how BAAAD all these retailers are for breaking the law, but even YOU when questioned don't know specifically which radios are illegal and you are educated on the subject! How is a retailer like Amazon.com supposed to know the difference when they have ZERO education on the subject???

Waal, I am only human and make mistakes! :D I can't possibly know EVERY radio on the "Sheise" list! :D ;) And Amazon HAS been told they are breaking the law. Like every other action FCC does, they are often slow as a snail.

BTW, Moleculo, I was on 28.085 CW today and heard that "some bast**d keeps making those 'beep beep' noises and I can't hear what you are saying on th' channel". Aw, pore feller! I feel so sorry for him! :twisted: NOT!!

CWM

See dubya...c'mon bro...you live for this. Don't let me down now...I expect you to have an 8-1/2x11 glossy of "the list" right there by your pc...How can you stand for something if you don't stand for something??? :p

FCC does not control Federal agency communications activities. That includes FEMA, FBI, NSA, Military, Secret Service--any communications activities carried on behalf of the Federal gov't is controlled by NTIA. They can even tell FCC where to go! Their equipment standards are usually FAR more strict than that of FCC! But since they are the controlling agency, they can permit whatever equipment is needed by whatever agency. And aren't the Ranger series radios APPROVED Amateur radios anyway? It's only the ones we refer to as "export" radios with bands of channels and are on the FCC "sh** list that are would not be considered for use by the gov't.

Now CW, Since they bought those illegal export radios how do you reconcile that with your above statements ?

Sonwatcher said:
FCC does not control Federal agency communications activities. That includes FEMA, FBI, NSA, Military, Secret Service--any communications activities carried on behalf of the Federal gov't is controlled by NTIA. They can even tell FCC where to go! Their equipment standards are usually FAR more strict than that of FCC! But since they are the controlling agency, they can permit whatever equipment is needed by whatever agency. And aren't the Ranger series radios APPROVED Amateur radios anyway? It's only the ones we refer to as "export" radios with bands of channels and are on the FCC "sh** list that are would not be considered for use by the gov't.

Now CW, Since they bought those illegal export radios how do you reconcile that with your above statements ?

The standards for NTIA are totally different and have nothing to do with CIVILIAN regulations or FCC rules. Therefore, while looking at it from the standpoint of civilian LEGAL requirements, if NTIA says it is OK, it is so far as THEY see it. Now someone has said that FEMA bought Ranger radios. I don't personally *know* that they did it and, indeed, find it strange since there are much better alternatives as 27 MHZ not really a frequency of choice. So somebody bring proof here, OK? :? Even then it is a moot point because the acceptable standard for FEDERAL communications is totally different than for civilian, like it or not. For example, I am authorized certain government frequencies that are controlled by USAF. They range thu out the VHF and HF spectrum. There is a list of transceivers for both VHF and HF frequencies that I must go by. With the application of the TCXO, or high stability option, my IC706 is approved for use on the military and Federal frequencies for HF only. The VHF side is not approved. So I must have an APPROVED radio for VHF operations. It is totally up to NTIA and THEIR standards as what equipment may be used. *IF* they bought radios that are not approved for CIVILIAN use, it means that, for the purpose at hand, they were perfectly within the agency's legal right to do so. I am, however skeptical of the claim. The issues actually have nothing to do with each other.

CWM

CW Are you calling me a lier, or John Mahony?
The Man told me this himself, this is not internet chit-chat bullshit.
Whats the problem, can`t face the fact that the goverment is capable of breaking there own rules?
Oh thats right...they make them up as they go along.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.