• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rocket Box 1000XL

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
New Rocket Box might give Texas Star a run for their money. Info from their face book page:

https://www.facebook.com/Rocket-Box...yxom3Ci0hxe0PbT_HZQI4qdFGj_ftRtjX2qhFX-H0dXUH

70523321_1374938252670220_1890018564971167744_n.jpg

Rocket Box Electronics
November 23 at 7:39 PM ·
I should have the 1000XL sample board in a few weeks once I test it and if testing goes well I will put them in production. This unit will be a 2x8 or straight 8 to see the full board please click on pic. Also this unit will be 15" long

76743618_1435573983273313_8592504447026855936_n.png

I am hoping that they will make a straight 10 out of it........
While it is possible to make 5 port input splitters and output combiners, the current board layout with limited space would make this difficult. It's also rare to see single devices with this many ports and why we don't see more 10 pills all connected as finals elsewhere.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Has anybody seen an alternative way to check ROCKETBOX out ?? I DO do facebook (as little as possible) but there isn't much info on the Rocketbox site?? Im always wondering why we don't have some more "slightly mass produced" amps ? Im also down to support anything built in the USA . I have only built a 1 pill modulator and still don't have the knowledge to build my own 4-6-16-32 pill , but I know there are guys that would buy affordable American built Amps in a New York minute!! I love watching BBi Amplifier building on YouTube , He films A LOT and is a damn genius but he is too busy to take on new work or even build amps to sell ;(

73's Put some fire in the wire , Brian

People considering a 12 volt MOSFET amplifier should beware that not a single reputable transistor manufacturer is advertising a 12 volt linear RF MOSFET datasheet in this type of plastic package at power levels this high. Because of that, the ones that are working are almost certainly relabeled switch mode transistors not intended to support bias or linear operation.

All types of tricks are being used to make them function in the linear mode at the expense of reliability and durability. They include adding everything from extra resistors shunting the bias voltage across the gates to using transistors with much higher peak current ratings, hoping that will translate into some ability to sustain AB bias without failure.

That bias also increases the operating gain of a part that struggles to maintain stability due to high inductance and the larger RF currents related to a lower operating voltage producing hundreds of watts. They run hotter than the old bipolar transistors too.

If you understand this ahead of time and don't choose a model that will have to be pushed in order to reach your goal, you'll probably be happy with the cost and performance. Beat it up a little like you could with more rugged transistors and expect disappointment.

People considering a 12 volt MOSFET amplifier should beware that not a single reputable transistor manufacturer is advertising a 12 volt linear RF MOSFET datasheet in this type of plastic package at power levels this high. Because of that, the ones that are working are almost certainly relabeled switch mode transistors not intended to support bias or linear operation.

All types of tricks are being used to make them function in the linear mode at the expense of reliability and durability. They include adding everything from extra resistors shunting the bias voltage across the gates to using transistors with much higher peak current ratings, hoping that will translate into some ability to sustain AB bias without failure.

That bias also increases the operating gain of a part that struggles to maintain stability due to high inductance and the larger RF currents related to a lower operating voltage producing hundreds of watts. They run hotter than the old bipolar transistors too.

If you understand this ahead of time and don't choose a model that will have to be pushed in order to reach your goal, you'll probably be happy with the cost and performance. Beat it up a little like you could with more rugged transistors and expect disappointment.

I contacted an eBay seller as well as leaving a Facebook message and the builder is (from what I'm told ) currently on vacation but lives here in the USA in Las Vegas . I saw on one Facebook post to allow 3-5 days for build time (not exact quote) so I believe they are at least assembled in the USA . Waiting to hear back from Rocketbox directly and asked for pics and data sheets for the current HD-500 and the upcoming XL1000 . I have never seen or heard of his Palomar Transistors or been able to find any info but hopefully they are not being used in the boxes lol . I have gotten very lucky with a few batches of obvious "clone or fake" transistors ad far as being within spec and functionality , and I knew from the price , packaging , labeling they were 99% cloned but the plastic Palomar's are a bit worrisome ! Just hoping to find a decent amp for $.50 a watt built in the USA and I will swap out any cheap components myself lol !! Just hope they are not complete Chinese imports with faceplates :unsure: As soon as I hear from Rocketbox hopefully I will have pics and data sheets ! I want to see the HD-500 with the hood open , if its an Alibaba.com board I will know lol

Hopimg for the best and invited them to join Worlwide DX and spread the word !!
Updates to follow , if I get them ;)

73's 4-2-ZERO

I contacted an eBay seller as well as leaving a Facebook message and the builder is (from what I'm told ) currently on vacation but lives here in the USA in Las Vegas . I saw on one Facebook post to allow 3-5 days for build time (not exact quote) so I believe they are at least assembled in the USA . Waiting to hear back from Rocketbox directly and asked for pics and data sheets for the current HD-500 and the upcoming XL1000 . I have never seen or heard of his Palomar Transistors or been able to find any info but hopefully they are not being used in the boxes lol . I have gotten very lucky with a few batches of obvious "clone or fake" transistors ad far as being within spec and functionality , and I knew from the price , packaging , labeling they were 99% cloned but the plastic Palomar's are a bit worrisome ! Just hoping to find a decent amp for $.50 a watt built in the USA and I will swap out any cheap components myself lol !! Just hope they are not complete Chinese imports with faceplates :unsure: As soon as I hear from Rocketbox hopefully I will have pics and data sheets ! I want to see the HD-500 with the hood open , if its an Alibaba.com board I will know lol

Hopimg for the best and invited them to join Worlwide DX and spread the word !!
Updates to follow , if I get them ;)

73's 4-2-ZERO

Hey guys Im starting a Rocketbox thread , I contacted the builder in Las Vegas . He is a one man band building these amps in the USA !!! He is currently cleaning up the audio on the first complete XL1000 and should have them ready soon for under $899.00 USD !! I asked him to send me pics and specs when he gets a chance and also invited him to join us here in the interweb ;) I have a sneak peak of the HD-500 with the hood open for all to see and will keep in communication with the Rocketbox and post any updates he sends since I think he may just be too busy to go forum surfing!

If we can get nice amplifiers that are made in the USA I think we will all be happy campers !!

73's and check out the thread coming soon (later today) Brian

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated