• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Rocket Box 1000XL

Shockwave and others here have extensive background in design and building RF amps from the ground up.

Actually, we should mention that shockwave got a healthy amount of criticism about his own amplifier plans.

The thread is now 9 pages long and growing.

His amplifier - years in the making - doesn’t appear to have made it anywhere at all...at least yet.

Hopefully it does one day...he seems smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokin
One can easily build a Amp for the CB band and throw it out for sale with no testing and allow the end user to test it.
It is quite different to design and build a multi band amp with very good safety and protection features that will be submitted for FCC approval.
Two totally different worlds.
Jeff

is there someone who has done this and is equipped to respond?

Or are you simply referring to attempts that haven’t yet produced any fruit?

...quite different to design and build a multi band amp with very good safety and protection features that will be submitted for FCC...
Jeff

Jeff, as an admin, please point to ANY thread substantiating the above!

Who here has done this? You’ve mentioned only one name: Shockwave.

Where is the FCC approval for his amplifiers, or whatever is missing??

Thanks!

I don't know if we have any members here that have gone through the approval process, and yes I am talking about Shockwave.
Actually, ( and he can correct me if I am wrong) Donald designed and built the prototype for another party.
The process , as I know it is that the equipment is presented to a outside entity, such as CKC Labs, for testing, and then a report is sent to the FCC.
Not to only single out him, but other members here, such as Nomad who has years of experience working with RF Amps, Captian Kilowatt and others who have worked in the broadcast industry and the list goes on.
As for criticism, it can be a good thing if taken the correct way.
There is a amazing wealth of experience and knowledge here on this forum.
And , unlike some other forums , a open minded group of people that are willing to share and help.
There are members here that have spent lots of time and effort helping other members solve problems.
It is, I think anyway, a great resource.
Tim, and the Admins here have invested countless hours over the years attempting to keep it this way.

Jeff

Audioshockwav: As you are just starting this project be aware that there is a lot of RF knowledge here on the forum. Shockwave and others here have extensive background in design

Me: Actually, we should mention that shockwave got a healthy amount of criticism about his own amplifier plans

Audioshockwav: One can easily build a Amp for the CB band and throw it out for sale with no testing and allow the end user to test it.

It is quite different to design and build a multi band amp with very good safety and protection features that will be submitted for FCC approval.

Me:is there someone who has done this and is equipped to respond?

Audioshockwav:I don't know

Last edited:
No lies or deceptions involved.
Look.
The point I was making is that the gentleman is starting to build a line of RF amps that he wants to sell.
No one( yet) knows his background in this field.
I welcomed him to the forum and invited him to share in the help that is available here.
You pointed out that the one example I used has not ( as far as we know because he has not told us) gone through the approval process.
Again, I will say that throwing together a CB style amp that may or may not work properly is not a stunning achievement.
However, to build a properly biased, clean amp with overdrive protection, over voltage protection, swr protection, capable of working on many different bands without spewing emissions all over the place is a different thing.
This young man is in the starting stages of making a product, and I wish him well.
It won't hurt to get some input that might help him build something better than the run of the mill CB Amp.
Not sure if I hit a raw nerve, but that is not my intent.
As for Shockwave qualifications in the RF field, I think he can speak for himself.
He has provided plenty of good advice to many members here, I give him props for that.

Jeff

I just don’t understand why we’d offer help on the forum of one dude(by name) that’s been totally lambasted for his design (which has been called “impossible”) and hasn’t mentioned the sale of a single amp... or why that may be of help to someone who is already selling multiple amps.

One dude that’s been working on the same design for years without a single sale is somehow going to “help” a company that’s already decent making sales?

What the hell do I know?

Actually, we should mention that shockwave got a healthy amount of criticism about his own amplifier plans.

The thread is now 9 pages long and growing.

His amplifier - years in the making - doesn’t appear to have made it anywhere at all...at least yet.

Hopefully it does one day...he seems smart.
Lol, design criticism is par for the course in amp building circles.
All you can do is put it on some diagnostic equipment and test it. Till then its all speculation.

Reactions: TIN_CAN and 2NC995
Every amp builder eats a certain amount of crap over designs

Lol, design criticism is par for the course in amp building circles.
All you can do is put it on some diagnostic equipment and test it. Till then its all speculation.

FWIW - I don’t even disagree with you.

Reactions: Tokin
I can’t speak for the amp in question here but I can say the 250 does exactly as advertised AND his kit is super easy to assemble.

I can say he’s very easy to talk to and deal with, very nice and respectful.

I can say he ships in a very timely manner as well.

I have no idea what his background is but I’ll say if it’s nothing but putting together model cars, so be it. If that 1000xl works as well as his 250... it’ll be worth the price and perform perfectly.

Very weird.

I don’t know to what extent it was necessary to say that???
Just because you removed a post before you thought anyone could see it don't mean that I did not see it.
I can go back and quote your posts if you like but I did not want to open that can of worms on you.
As Admins we can see everything that is posted on the forum, even if you go back and try to remove it.
You have spouted off and then removed several posts after you thought better of them.
The words were YOURS , I simply replied to your post before you hid it from view.
If you don't like my post, that is fine, we are all entitled to our own opinions.
But don't try to play dumb when you get called out on something.
I stand by what I posted.
Lets get back on topic now and give it a rest.

Jeff

Agreed,
back on topic.

First, on the "American Built" thing. The list of things that are built entirely in America, using only American parts, is a very very short list. I can't think of anything that qualifies right now, but im sure others can.

For a car to be called American, it has to have a certain amount of the work done here in the USA. However, that work might consist of assembling a bunch of electronic components that were made somewhere else.

Supply chains are very complicated these days, and trying to start a business building an electronic item that is assembled from scratch in the USA is a fools errand unless you are doing it all yourself (or making your kids do it for free LOL).

The way this gets done these days is that the board design is sent to an assembly house, most likely in China, or at least Asia, and the boards are made and populated there by big machines.

then the parts of the device that can't be placed by machinery get completed here in the USA. That's just the way the world works these days.

so, i think Rocketbox is completely within the realm of honest when he says that the amps are made in the USA. they are made here just as much as any other product that claims the same thing.

Now, as for how well these amps will work, we already know all about that.
Palomar styled amps with ERF7530 style mosfets have been around for years.
these amps will be no different.

yes, they're going to put out somewhere close to the power you expect, and yes, their life length is going to be determined by how much they get abused.

I can tell you that they are not going to tolerate being over driven like bipolar amps did.
the mosfets will literally explode if they are overdriven and allowed to get hot.

no, there is no harmonic filtering, and they are not going to hold their stated bias class very well.
but that is also no surprise.
this is how CB style amps have always been.

so, what we are left with is price point.
What amp can i get that put out X amount of watts for Y dollars.

These amps will fill this niche for those not looking to spend more on higher quality amplifiers.
obviously there are plenty of people in the hobby who will fit that bill, so these amps will sell.

now here's the part where things get a bit dicey.
We are here in this thread debating the quality of these particular RF amplifiers, and we are comparing them to what?
solid RF amplifier theory?
well yes, but because these amps are the same as the CB Mosfet amps of the past,
this argument has already run its course 10+ years ago, and there is nothing new to be gained from it.

i hope we can keep some perspective here.
Rocketbox doesn't have some outrageous claim of "clean power" or "less harmonics and IMD", and he isn't claiming wattage numbers that are out of the range of possibility for the devices used, regardless of how cleanly and linearly they can create that power.

What's our goal here?
LC

Agreed,
back on topic.

First, on the "American Built" thing. The list of things that are built entirely in America, using only American parts, is a very very short list. I can't think of anything that qualifies right now, but im sure others can.

For a car to be called American, it has to have a certain amount of the work done here in the USA. However, that work might consist of assembling a bunch of electronic components that were made somewhere else.

Supply chains are very complicated these days, and trying to start a business building an electronic item that is assembled from scratch in the USA is a fools errand unless you are doing it all yourself (or making your kids do it for free LOL).

The way this gets done these days is that the board design is sent to an assembly house, most likely in China, or at least Asia, and the boards are made and populated there by big machines.

then the parts of the device that can't be placed by machinery get completed here in the USA. That's just the way the world works these days.

so, i think Rocketbox is completely within the realm of honest when he says that the amps are made in the USA. they are made here just as much as any other product that claims the same thing.

Now, as for how well these amps will work, we already know all about that.
Palomar styled amps with ERF7530 style mosfets have been around for years.
these amps will be no different.

yes, they're going to put out somewhere close to the power you expect, and yes, their life length is going to be determined by how much they get abused.

I can tell you that they are not going to tolerate being over driven like bipolar amps did.
the mosfets will literally explode if they are overdriven and allowed to get hot.

no, there is no harmonic filtering, and they are not going to hold their stated bias class very well.
but that is also no surprise.
this is how CB style amps have always been.

so, what we are left with is price point.
What amp can i get that put out X amount of watts for Y dollars.

These amps will fill this niche for those not looking to spend more on higher quality amplifiers.
obviously there are plenty of people in the hobby who will fit that bill, so these amps will sell.

now here's the part where things get a bit dicey.
We are here in this thread debating the quality of these particular RF amplifiers, and we are comparing them to what?
solid RF amplifier theory?
well yes, but because these amps are the same as the CB Mosfet amps of the past,
this argument has already run its course 10+ years ago, and there is nothing new to be gained from it.

i hope we can keep some perspective here.
Rocketbox doesn't have some outrageous claim of "clean power" or "less harmonics and IMD", and he isn't claiming wattage numbers that are out of the range of possibility for the devices used, regardless of how cleanly and linearly they can create that power.

What's our goal here?
LC

For myself I am just some dude that likes to pinker with cb radio's, reminds me of my youth. I understand what these amps are, and I really wanna see one in action. They are cheap to buy so why not, wife always gets pissed when I purchase another silly cb thing..ha ha

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.