• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

S9 CB Magazine Archive - new project

Thank you sir for taking the time to do this! Much appreciated! I've spent hours going through all of the excellent info found there. Looking forward to seeing some early and mid 70s issues making their way to the site.

Well - I've still got a couple more to be scanned in but basically here's the story.

There was a lady I hired on craigslist to scan in all my remaining issues at like $2 a pop (she was unemployed). She got through about 10 then emailed and told me she had a break in and the whole lot was stolen. Which is totally bizarre to me, who breaks in and steals CB magazines from the 70's but not her computer that she used to email me? Then a couple of weeks go by and she says she recovered a few of them and she gives me back about 10 and a flash drive with the ones she scanned.

Weird story huh? So a lot of my collection went missing which I was pretty sad about, especially since most of the issues from the 80's were lost which were the most valuable.

Additionally at one point I offered to give members here issues to keep if they would scan them in for me and send me the files. One member agreed, I sent him 12 issues and never got a thing back.

I guess at this point the project is pretty much dead. Additionally I got laid off in Sept and have been job searching so I don't have much time for anything CB related. I've sold most of my more expensive test equipment, scopes, etc just to raise some cash to hold us through. Unemployment rate might be going down but there certainly aren't any additional jobs being added to the economy.

So I apologize to everyone that there hasn't been a whole lot of new content lately. The cb and export market has been a bit quiet this quarter and I just haven't had time to finish any remaining reviews.

73's

Tmac - since you showed the most interest in this project, if you want the 12 or so issues I have left they are yours.

Message me your address and I'll see if I can dig them out and send them your way. I'd rather someone enjoys them then they just sit in a box somewhere.

If you ever get a chance to scan them you could send me the files to post but that's up to you.

73's

Dave
Just curious of why you think the S9's from the 80's are the most valuable? I had the fierst 5-6 years of S9 but were thrown out in a move, kinda bummed me put but luckily I still have Volume 1 Issue 1.

The 80's issues are currently the most valuable as they had reviews and information on radios that are currently in use, etc.

While the older issues might be harder to find or might provide interesting reading most of the radios in the older issues were 23 channel models and are now are less common.

People in the hobby tend to like the 80's articles on the Cobra's, Uniden's etc that are still around and in use today.

So it's not that the 80's ones are more rare they just are the ones that people currently like to read so on ebay etc they get more bids.

I used to have stacks of those mags, too. Tossed them years ago. I really enjoyed the reviews, but one story that still stays in my mind was a setup in Detroit IIRC, and it was centrally located in a high rise building. The station used a ground plane on the roof of the high rise, and the rig was a Browning Golden Eagle. The unusual thing was it was mounted in an air conditioned rack. They provided travel info, directions, emergency communications, etc. Pretty cool!

Glad to see those old mags again via your site!

RT307

Cool. I enjoyed the scans.. I'll have to see where i put my old magazines i have... They are boxed up put away somewere.

July 1980 is in the wrong spot, it should be in 1981.

Thanks for taking the time to scan these great old mags. I have never heard of S9 mag as I was born in 1981. The mags that I used to read here in Australia was CB Action which ended in the late 90's. I miss those old mags

This is a new project I started recently - S9 CB RADIO MAGAZINE INDEX

I have about 100 of these great old mags and thought it would be cool to share them. I had to do some connect the dots for copyrights but I've now started scanning them in.

Hope people enjoy them as much as I did back in the day :)

Scanning takes a while but I should be adding more each month as I find time.

Excellent job! Thanks for the memories!

I know this is an old thread but just for fun I went through some of the later issues and googled company names. Surprisingly several still exist but in a different form. CB was was a quick way for them to make money and when the fad faded they just went back to doing what they always did. It was fun reading though, loved the Feb '79 issue with the Cobra "two for one" sale or the CPI add with all their stuff. I should have kept my issues as I was a subscriber back then.

Reactions: 1 person
I know this is an old thread but just for fun I went through some of the later issues and googled company names. Surprisingly several still exist but in a different form. CB was was a quick way for them to make money and when the fad faded they just went back to doing what they always did. It was fun reading though, loved the Feb '79 issue with the Cobra "two for one" sale or the CPI add with all their stuff. I should have kept my issues as I was a subscriber back then.

I picked up several issues on eBay and they were very interesting to read and it was also fun to reminisce.

Looking forward to seeing January and June 1981, if you have them. I've been watching and bidding on ebay whenever I can find issues I don't have. Actually picked up a Vol 1,#1 the other day. Wish my set was complete but will probably never happen. They are getting more scarce and pricey every month. It's a shame the number that have been trashed. I have some duplicates I would sell/trade for those I don't have.

Well - I've still got a couple more to be scanned in but basically here's the story.

There was a lady I hired on craigslist to scan in all my remaining issues at like $2 a pop (she was unemployed). She got through about 10 then emailed and told me she had a break in and the whole lot was stolen. Which is totally bizarre to me, who breaks in and steals CB magazines from the 70's but not her computer that she used to email me? Then a couple of weeks go by and she says she recovered a few of them and she gives me back about 10 and a flash drive with the ones she scanned.

Weird story huh? So a lot of my collection went missing which I was pretty sad about, especially since most of the issues from the 80's were lost which were the most valuable.

Additionally at one point I offered to give members here issues to keep if they would scan them in for me and send me the files. One member agreed, I sent him 12 issues and never got a thing back.

I guess at this point the project is pretty much dead. Additionally I got laid off in Sept and have been job searching so I don't have much time for anything CB related. I've sold most of my more expensive test equipment, scopes, etc just to raise some cash to hold us through. Unemployment rate might be going down but there certainly aren't any additional jobs being added to the economy.

So I apologize to everyone that there hasn't been a whole lot of new content lately. The cb and export market has been a bit quiet this quarter and I just haven't had time to finish any remaining reviews.

73's
If it isn't to late, I have a number of S9 magazines I could scan, time permitted, that you do not have. I'll have to get my son to show me how to scan and send them, so it could be a while. Am actively seeking S9 from 1980, 1981, and 1982 for my personal collection.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated