• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Service Info on Magnum S9....

guitar_199

Mar 8, 2011
Deer Park, TX
I'm sure this request happens from time to time... I just never dreamed I would actually OWN one.
Did Magnum not make something like a "service manual" for this thing???

I am aware of the content in CB Tricks but it is not quite complete. I have problems in the displays.. and there are no schematics of the "display driver" or "display" board. I realize that they aren't THAT complicated in and of themselves.... I just thought it would be handy to have them to go by.

That being said, I can't find much OTHER THAN what CB Tricks has.....

.... am I just looking in the wrong place? Or not holding my mouth right when I search????

Bob

I'm sure this request happens from time to time... I just never dreamed I would actually OWN one.
Did Magnum not make something like a "service manual" for this thing???

I am aware of the content in CB Tricks but it is not quite complete. I have problems in the displays.. and there are no schematics of the "display driver" or "display" board. I realize that they aren't THAT complicated in and of themselves.... I just thought it would be handy to have them to go by.

That being said, I can't find much OTHER THAN what CB Tricks has.....

.... am I just looking in the wrong place? Or not holding my mouth right when I search????

Bob
The magnum s- series really is a unicorn these days. Boy they were the Stryker of circa 2005 with a big demand for them. If only Eric had of kept alive what Mr Sam did with Magnum International.

I still even have some of the frequency counter led's for the even more unicorn pure green versions (not many of those even back then).

Reactions: walterjn
The magnum s- series really is a unicorn these days. Boy they were the Stryker of circa 2005 with a big demand for them. If only Eric had of kept alive what Mr Sam did with Magnum International.

I still even have some of the frequency counter led's for the even more unicorn pure green versions (not many of those even back then).
Those LEDs are one of the primary things I am researching....

It appears that it is a 3 digit unit (2 of them) but... the question is.....

are they that wildly different from similar displays that you might find at Mouser or elsewhere??? Are they common cathode or common anode? And what about the pinout for the part? Are all displays of this ilk made with a common pinout??? (my bet would be NO WAY!!!!!)........

these are the things I am trying to figure out..... and they didn't make it easy with documentation.

By the way... if it is indicative of the age..... this one has the pair of 2SC1969 finals.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Those LEDs are one of the primary things I am researching....

It appears that it is a 3 digit unit (2 of them) but... the question is.....

are they that wildly different from similar displays that you might find at Mouser or elsewhere??? Are they common cathode or common anode? And what about the pinout for the part? Are all displays of this ilk made with a common pinout??? (my bet would be NO WAY!!!!!)........

these are the things I am trying to figure out..... and they didn't make it easy with documentation.

By the way... if it is indicative of the age..... this one has the pair of 2SC1969 finals.
I've got some documentation as to the LED's but I still haven't gotten everything unpacked yet from the recent move. Yes they are 2 3 digit displays, as to the specs I couldn't tell you because I got them from ekl components(magnum) as oem parts so never needed to look elsewhere.
Bipolar transistors sure shows it's an early one and imo of the cleanest audio.

Reactions: walterjn
I've got some documentation as to the LED's but I still haven't gotten everything unpacked yet from the recent move. Yes they are 2 3 digit displays, as to the specs I couldn't tell you because I got them from ekl components(magnum) as oem parts so never needed to look elsewhere.
Bipolar transistors sure shows it's an early one and imo of the cleanest audio.
Good to know.... about the opinion on the bipolar version........

As for the displays... it will all come out in the wash.....

For one... I can always scope the LED driver lines from the chip to the resistor and on to the display segment and see if something THERE indicates a difference in drive level..... as it might even NOT be the displays!!!! At least I can hope.... :)

Thanks for the responses!!!!!

Bob

This is about the most information you will find for a Magnum S9. The channel/freq display board is a point of concern these days. The replacement part is no longer made, when they go bad your pretty much SOL.

Here is a link you a thread here when I had a broke S9 radio.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.