• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siltronix VFO, boosting the drive level.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
Got a request for this board, and realized we never got around to showing how it's installed in a Siltronix VFO on our web site. Posting it here is a quick-and-dirty way to procrastinate updating our site.

The Siltronix model 80 and 90 VFOs were built to take the place of one crystal in a 23-channel solid-state CB transceiver.

But using them with a tube-type radio presents a problem. The drive level it delivers is suited to a solid-state oscillator circuit, using transistors powered from 12 Volts or less.

The crystal oscillator circuit in a tube type radio runs at 150 Volts or more. You won't necessarily need ten times the VFO drive level to drive an oscillator tube that you need for an oscillator transistor.

But you need more than the Siltronix design provides.

Usually.

Anyone who swears by using a stock Siltronix VFO is fully free to ignore the rest of this post.

We developed a simple one-transistor circuit that we originally installed inside the Browning Mark 3 SSB transmitter.

Boosts the wimpy drive from the VFO and restores the full power the radio showed when running from a channel crystal.

Before too long my idiot light came on when a customer asked "why don't you just put the thing inside the VFO?"

Why indeed?

So here is a procedure for that. Our web site shows only the transmitter internal install for this board.
Here is the only pic I found quickly showing the board ready to install. Actually shows both versions. The one with the black coax soldered to it is the one that's installed inside the Mark 3 SSB transmitter.

2slidbufinternalbothver.jpg

First thing to check is the age of the VFO. Not a birthday, but a look at the printed circuit board. If you have the later one, the board is mounted in a hole in the chassis deck. The solder side of the board is easily accessible from below the chassis.

a8slidbufinternalnewcap.jpg

** BUT **

If you have an older one, the circuit board is mounted on short pillars, above the solid-metal chassis surface. You can't reach the solder side of the board without dismounting the entire board.

A real pain in the neck.

So for now, I'm showing only the setup for the "later" version VFO.

bslidbufinternalmainpcb.jpg

First, the two electrolytic capacitors on the board get replaced. The factory-original parts are too old to trust, so changing them is the only way to prevent wasted time later when the factory parts quit.

They're included with the board. Might not look exactly like these.

98slidbufinternalnewcap.jpg

You'll need to drill two 5/32-in. holes in the rear panel. We provide a printed template. The big black dot gets cut out and slides over the RCA socket on the rear.

Weird part is that it's printed in MIRROR IMAGE on the paper.

3slidbufinternaltemplat.jpg

Here's what it the back side of the paper looks like with some light on the printed side.

4slidbufinternaltemplat.jpg

After carving out the hole for the RCA jack, hold the print side down against the rear panel of the VFO. Mark the two mount-screw holes with a sharpie.

5slidbufinternaltemplat.jpg

A spring-loaded center punch is worth its weight in copper, just to keep the drill bit from wandering.

7slidbufinternalcounter.jpg

Now would be a good time to remove the skinny black coax from the RCA socket and from the circuit board. Clear the solder from the hole where the coax center conductor was removed. Remove the burrs from the inside of the holes you just drilled. A larger-size drill bit, like 3/8-inch or larger will do the job just fine, or shove the end of a flat file across them. That's where the scratches are from in this pic, pushing the flat end of a file across the holes.

8slidbufinternalmountho.jpg

The board gets bolted to the holes you drilled in the rear panel. The power wire in this pic is attached at the far left.

eslidbufinternalfinalpi.jpg

Here's a closer look at the input and power wires. The bare ground wire seen one at each end of the board is no longer supplied. These pics are old, and the first version included two ground wires.
You don't need them.

dslidbufinternalfinalde.jpg

Here's a better pic, showing the level-adjust trimpot. For a tube-type radio, it gets twisted all the way to the right, full blast. That's how we ship them.

But if you decide to use it with a solid-state radio, you can turn down the drive level to prevent the VFO from overdriving the oscillator transistor.

5Q4mqV.jpg

There are plenty of things that can go wrong with a VFO that's over 40 years old. The contact springs against the rear end of the main tuning capacitor's shaft are silver plated. If the tarnish builds up, the tuning can be twitchy and erratic, jumping when you barely touch the big knob in front. The switch behind the left-hand knob on the model 90 will cause the frequency to be erratic when it needs to be cleaned.

We routinely add a ground wire from the ground lug on the big ceramic pillar to the circuit-board foil.

Tightening the mount screw on that pillar is a good idea too, but a good ground on that coil improves stability.

The ground lug bolted directly under it needs a direct wire connection to the circuit-board ground foil.

Hopefully you don't need a picture of that. Couldn't find one.

The price is 45 bucks by PayPal money request or money order in the mail.

Use the PM here if you're interested.

I had a similar problem trying to interface a solid state VFO to the oscillator grid in a tube type HF marine radio. It's usually not an issue resulting from the VFO not having enough output power, it's that the impedance it just too low to drive the tube grid. In my case it took a simple matching coil to step the impedance up to the grid. The coil resembled a smaller version of what you might find inside the base of an end fed half wave. I call it an RF auto-transformer since it's all one winding with the drive tapped in close to the grounded end.

This may or may not work in the case of the Siltronix. It really depends on the value of the gird resistor in the oscillator circuit. If the matching coil loads the VFO too hard into that resistor, the VFO can become unstable. Nomad's board acts like a buffer stage between the VFO and radio and prevents loading from shifting the VFO frequency as an added benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
I put the buffer in. It works great. I noticed the frequency was unstable on the frequency counter when i keyed. so, i reduced the buffer power by about a third and it became stable again. i am still fiddling with it im not sure where the ground lug is but here is a picture of what things look like so far. it looks like it may be grounded from the big round pillar to the ground foil alreadyView attachment 32486

Last edited:
I put the buffer in. It works great. I noticed the frequency was unstable on the frequency counter when i keyed. so, i reduced the buffer power by about a third and it became stable again. i am still fiddling with it im not sure where the ground lug is but here is a picture of what things look like so far. it looks like it may be grounded from the big round pillar to the ground foil alreadyView attachment 32486
Your pictures did not attach correctly. Just use the "Upload File" button.

Forty-five bucks. Includes shipping. Postal money order by snail mail or we send you a money request via PayPal. Only two payment methods I have right now.

Send me a pm with your info. It's called "start a conversation" on this forum.

That's what I want to get hooked with on my Mark's III's..
I have 3 sets, 2 ssb and one with an AM transmitter.
My one set is a keeper. Looks pretty dang clean. Other 2 I may post up and sell.
Looking at a Glen 326-G right now also.
Cheers. Have Great evening!!!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.