• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Sirio New Vector 4000 Install

I tilted the antenna down yesterday to adjust the gamma match and take some measurements. I was able to get the SWR to 1.2:1 across the band. With 1.4:1 on ch40, it would end up even higher at 27.555 so I guess this is a good compromise.

One of the tuning points given in the instructions is for 27.185 and it specifies L1 at 930mm and L2 between 630mm and 640mm. My original setup had L2 at 635mm. I played around with the L1 and L2 values until I came up with L1 at 905mm and L2 at 650mm.

IMG_20180521_072122062.jpg

Here are the measurements I took. If any other measurements are needed by anyone, just let me know and I will tip it down and throw a tape on it.

Egg beater diameter: 68mm, 2 11/16 inches
Radial length from top end to center of bolt hole at the hub: 106 3/8 inches
Bottom of radiator hub to top of egg beater: 26ft, 7 1/2in
Hoop diameter (approximate) 30 1/2 inches
Dog bone for gamma match inside measurement: 5in

Last edited:
Reactions: Marconi and HomerBB
Had a chance to use it, yet?
Looks great!
Thanks, I think it is really majestic looking. I hooked the Sonar FS-2340 up to it and it is a real good performer at a height of a little over 40ft, it is higher than the power lines at the street. It seems to be somewhat better than the Starduster on the garage that is about 30ft up but it is hard to tell because the radios are different. I did talk to a guy about 60 miles away barefoot while another guy that was about 20 miles closer had to run some power to get him with an A99. Another thing I have noticed is the low signals that are down in the mud are better. With the Starduster, I could tell people were talking but couldn't understand what they were saying. With the Vector, the signals in the mud are better and I can understand what they are saying now.

Chris 73

Reactions: HomerBB
SWR is less important factor. It just shows, that your antenna/cable matches your transmitter impedance. I assume you measured it correct way.
The most important thing is where is jX=0 and it can be far away from SWR=1 :)
To know that you need better equipment.
Mike

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Do you or are you going to, guy wire it?

Curious...
:+> Andy <+:
The plan is to not guy it unless mother nature shows me its needed. If a hurricane comes along, I will be able to go outside and tip it down. The pipe joints are sleeved internally to take some stress off of the pipe threads. The mast being able to sway slightly will not give the wind as much leverage against the antenna mount. The mast will be able to participate in the spaghetti wave that the radiating element is doing. Not that the mast moves much but it does move. Its kind of like trying to hammer a nail into a 2x4. While you are holding the 2x4 in your hand. I hope this will save the small top section as I have recently learned that this is the weakest part of the antenna and has a propensity to kink over in high wind.
Chris 73

Thanks for sharing this!

Had owned a Center Fed Italian built 5/8 the one with the Hoop Skirt (I'm thinking Avanti Astro-Plane GP) - boy people had some hard times dealing with that one - claim they stole a dummy figurine from the local Dress Shop...LOL!

Worked good though, then had some straight-line winds come by and took it down - was only about 10 feet above the roofline - but it pulled out and away from the house - never seen Mast pipe tear and crinkle like how this setup wound up. Could have snapped it right off - but got lucky and it just bent over and down.

So - someday my XYL will let me put one up, until then - I wish you the best with your endeavor!

Vector 4K is a great performing antenna, but as delicate as Chantilly lace, it doesn't like the high winds in this neck of the woods, so I was forced to reinforce the entire antenna to prevent it suffering the same fate of the first one. Had to fit a one to one balun to eliminate common mode which the Jpole designs are well known for.

Thanks for sharing this!

Had owned a Center Fed Italian built 5/8 the one with the Hoop Skirt (I'm thinking Avanti Astro-Plane GP) - boy people had some hard times dealing with that one - claim they stole a dummy figurine from the local Dress Shop...LOL!

Worked good though, then had some straight-line winds come by and took it down - was only about 10 feet above the roofline - but it pulled out and away from the house - never seen Mast pipe tear and crinkle like how this setup wound up. Could have snapped it right off - but got lucky and it just bent over and down.

So - someday my XYL will let me put one up, until then - I wish you the best with your endeavor!

I told my wife that I bought a new antenna for the house. I told her the Starduster on the garage was too far away. I couldn't see running almost $300 worth of coax to a $73 antenna. I bet she was expecting another Starduster. After I put it up, I made it a point to ask her if she had seen it yet and I told her that I thought it looked "Majestic" she just gave me a silly look. I told my kids that form follows function and explained all that to them. They think its cool that I can talk to so many different states when the skip is rolling. It isn't really noticeable from the street unless you are looking for it. It really does have good ears. A lot of the locals run the A99 and sometimes when they DX they can't hear the distant station getting back to them and I relay the message. I am really happy with it so far even though when my mind wanders I find myself thinking about a multi element beam. LoL
Chris 73

Reactions: Slowmover
Vector 4K is a great performing antenna, but as delicate as Chantilly lace, it doesn't like the high winds in this neck of the woods, so I was forced to reinforce the entire antenna to prevent it suffering the same fate of the first one. Had to fit a one to one balun to eliminate common mode which the Jpole designs are well known for.
Good point about the balun, I was going to put 5 turns of coax at the antenna as a choke but I am using LMR 400 and it is really stiff. I will probably get some LMR flex to make the coil.
Chris 73

Reactions: JAF0

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.