• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

Getting back on topic, today I put a Sirio P5000 on an existing Wilson 5000 magmount, trunk mounted on a Dodge sedan. Out of the box the Sirio had SWR measurements under 1.2 on ch.1, 20, and 40. Also noted was a major decrease in background noise, even with the engine OFF. I always had a slight amount of noise coming in through the antenna with the Wilson that the NB/ANL wouldn't eliminate. With the Sirio 5000, that noise is gone. I haven't had the opportunity to do any seat of the pants, non-scientific transmit comparisons between the two as yet, but so far I'm pleased with the P5000's performance. My $.02, FWIW.

I am with you. I am convinced I can hear further with my Siro than My Wilson but again I had a Wilson 1000 so maybe it wan't a fair test.

I am still well pleased with my Siro ...

Reactions: 1 person
More results in! Mobile keydown.

2010 Ford ranger x cab with Wilson 5000 tuned in correctly, Davemade M80 driving a Davemade 4 pill.
2009 Tacoma Access cab with Sirio 5000 mounted on a first class trimag fabricated with a so239 connector on it. Tuned in correctly and LOW LOW LOW. Davemade SE400...brand new.

Keydown results and watergate was 40 miles away.
1) Over the front of the trucks. The watergate heard the Tacoma a bit better. We both made the watergate, but all agreed he was clearly stronger.
2) Over the right/left side of both trucks. Tie, no winner with 12 tries.
3) Over the back. The Ranger cut the tacoma's lips off. Have to concede the Toyota's fiberglass bed was the reason.

I am with you. I am convinced I can hear further with my Siro than My Wilson but again I had a Wilson 1000 so maybe it wan't a fair test.

I am still well pleased with my Siro ...

The Wilson 1000 and 5000 perform the same.

I haven't had the time to do any swapping back and forth between the Wilson and the Sirio to see if there's any measureable difference in transmitted signal strength. All I can say is that it works, both locally and for DX.

The only new info I can add is that the Wilson 5000 magmount easily holds the Sirio 5000 trunk-mounted at 85+ mph on the Interstate. :D

i had same results with my sirio z180

I haven't had the time to do any swapping back and forth between the Wilson and the Sirio to see if there's any measureable difference in transmitted signal strength. All I can say is that it works, both locally and for DX.

The only new info I can add is that the Wilson 5000 magmount easily holds the Sirio 5000 trunk-mounted at 85+ mph on the Interstate. :D

85 on the highway shouldn't be an issue but hitting trees at 25 mph sure will knock em off the roof. Use a tri mag.

it helps to be mindfull of what you have up on the roof with respect to what you may be driving under. been using the sirio mag and never hit tree branches at any more than 10 mph, and even that was closer to the tip rather than anywhere alse.

A seat of the pants, non-scientific test between the two 5000's consistently showed the Sirios P5000 to have a slightly higher received signal strength over the Wilson 5000 on three different receiving stations. By higher, we're looking at a "couple needlewidths" difference, about what I'd expected. Nothing earth-shattering, FWIW.

that may be true in that test, others may see different results with different applications and installations.

i want to see how this one will work out when im done with it. not saying that it will be better than anything else, i just want to see how much of an improvement over the way the sirio is working at the moment under the same circumstances of my installation.

siro

Can anyone tell me the height of the Siro 5000 from top of truck to the top of the "joint" where it will fold over?

Not from a Mag mount but a "drilled" roof mount.

Leaning towards taking the plunge and drilling the roof, if it will fold and fit under the garage door.

Hope this question makes sense.

Thanks.

Finishing up testing on the Sirio 5000 mag mount vs the Wilson 5000 mag mount but the results are pretty much what you'd expect from reading the posts.

The Sirio outperforms the Wilson on transmit and receive. I also was able to tune for a lower SWR for my particular test vehicle and it was more broad banded.

Now if only it wasn't so ugly. Maybe some black spray paint? :)

Cool antenna.

Reactions: 3 people
i could have told you that.

ugly? beauty is in the eye of the beholder. they are allot better looking than allot of the crap on the u.s. market.

the slim profile adds to the unique look of it.

I have been selling the sirio P5000 for 4 years. I am yet to find a antenna that will outperform it on tx and rx. I have personally ran 2200pep through it with the pl145 mount and 13ft 3in.of 9913 coax with no issues. I swear by this antenna. The only thing you need to do as a preventive measure is use dialetric grease where the hinge and handle is to prevent siezure.

Finishing up testing on the Sirio 5000 mag mount vs the Wilson 5000 mag mount but the results are pretty much what you'd expect from reading the posts.

The Sirio outperforms the Wilson on transmit and receive. I also was able to tune for a lower SWR for my particular test vehicle and it was more broad banded.

Cool antenna.

I've really been considering this one for a while, and have not pulled the trigger. Honestly have been waiting for your review! Looking forward to seeing the write-up.

RT307

Sorry for the delay - been job hunting and also had the holidays take up a lot of time. Planning on finishing it next week.

Aside from the short coax run it comes with it easily beats the Wilson 5000 in terms of performance. I'll have more info and pictures when I finish the review.

Cool antenna.

On the top of my pickup the Sirio beat the Wilson by such a small amount it wasn't worth the size and added weight/wind load to gain 1/8th of an S unit. You also need a trimag if you want to go mag mount....looks way over the top on my friends Toyota Tacoma.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?