• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

Just be wary of my BSometer, I couldn't possibly admit to regularly doing 100MPH on UK roads, and forgetting an antenna was on the roof :blushing: so approved testing facility it is :D

Variables include meters. Some are tighter that others depending on who aligned them. what you see and what you hear are two different things. There is a difference in a strong S-2 a weak S-2 and you've all seen it. So if there's a real weak s-2 and a real strong S-2 1/2 what you hear can greatly vary. And so on and so on. What works for one may very well not work for another. I run one of the sirio's pucked on my car and I run one non-pucked on my truck. The area of mass under the antenna does make adifference. I would like to see someone do a test with a suburban. I have a Chevy HHR and from Wilson to Sirio made a lot more the a needle with distance.

Reactions: 1 person
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown,

Were you in Savannah GA yesterday?

I talked to a "Charlie Brown" in Savannah on the interstate yesterday afternoon from Ft. Smith AR. on LSB 38 for quite a few minutes.

Just wondering.....

Charlie Brown,

Were you in Savannah GA yesterday?

I talked to a "Charlie Brown" in Savannah on the interstate yesterday afternoon from Ft. Smith AR. on LSB 38 for quite a few minutes.

Just wondering.....

Yessiree that was me lol. And conditions weren't the greatest but we held it in there lol. Woooo Hoooo I finally talked to someone on this forum!! (y)

skip

Charlie Brown

Thats the great thing about skip. You sounded like you were less than 3 miles from me. When I heard your handle, I thought there must be a local "imposter"!!
Glad we made contact.

#245 Razorback State on the AR/OK border on my little 2970 & Wilson 5K:bdh:

Patent Pending.

audioshockwav-albums-misc-radio-stuff-picture3163-bullshit-o-meter.jpg

Jeff

Getting back on topic, today I put a Sirio P5000 on an existing Wilson 5000 magmount, trunk mounted on a Dodge sedan. Out of the box the Sirio had SWR measurements under 1.2 on ch.1, 20, and 40. Also noted was a major decrease in background noise, even with the engine OFF. I always had a slight amount of noise coming in through the antenna with the Wilson that the NB/ANL wouldn't eliminate. With the Sirio 5000, that noise is gone. I haven't had the opportunity to do any seat of the pants, non-scientific transmit comparisons between the two as yet, but so far I'm pleased with the P5000's performance. My $.02, FWIW.

Got any updates for us?

I haven't had the time to do any swapping back and forth between the Wilson and the Sirio to see if there's any measureable difference in transmitted signal strength. All I can say is that it works, both locally and for DX.

The only new info I can add is that the Wilson 5000 magmount easily holds the Sirio 5000 trunk-mounted at 85+ mph on the Interstate. :D

Reactions: 2 people
thats good to hear. i am curious how my wilson 5000 rebuild will turn out. i'm going to use a sirio whip on it and tune the load for it to see what the results will be. i wish i had more time tho...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.