• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

That is what I am seeing, from an S-9 to S-9+20 is 120 DB of gain at 6DB per S unit.

Impressive antenna for a vertical if it can do that OR, you were talking off your COAX when the A99 was in use and have some negative gain.

Gotta love CB. Even working on 3dB a S point thats 60dB or a received signal 100,000 times stronger.

gotta love a mere worldwide contest winning full licence holding amateur,:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

so for all those who either got someone else to sit the full license or passed by other dubious means like our top 3% iq in the uk friend, 20db over s9 is 100 times stronger not 100,000 times stronger as it is in Conor world.

and before you run to moderators again, complaining of me posting your pm's Conor, read it carefully, it's a quote you made, that i lifted from the "Upgraded from a A99 (w/ homemade GPK) to a slightly used Workman w58 (Maco v58 clone)" thread, i realise your not too clever at reading before you engage your mouth or typing finger.:tongue:

You're right, I did have it confused with another type of the same thing. Even so, the 'radials' on the thing are inconsequential at 27 Mhz. Might be effective at UHF, but not HF. So, as pointed out, it raised the height of the antenna something like what, 2" maybe? If that's an improvement, good.
Even with jazzsinger's implication of incompetence, the UK guy's still right... save your money.
- 'Doc

You're right, I did have it confused with another type of the same thing. Even so, the 'radials' on the thing are inconsequential at 27 Mhz. Might be effective at UHF, but not HF. So, as pointed out, it raised the height of the antenna something like what, 2" maybe? If that's an improvement, good.
Even with jazzsinger's implication of incompetence, the UK guy's still right... save your money.
- 'Doc

It was free.... The GP was free. Given to me by a friend like 10 years ago. When I Put it on the car and put my MFJ antenna analyzer on it the SWR dropped from 1.3 to 1.0 with no tuning. I did save my money you crotchety ole bastard it was free and it works.... Hahahah^^ ab v c^^(y)a

Reactions: 1 person
It was free.... The GP was free. Given to me by a friend like 10 years ago. When I Put it on the car and put my MFJ antenna analyzer on it the SWR dropped from 1.3 to 1.0 with no tuning. I did save my money you crotchety ole bastard it was free and it works.... Hahahah^^ ab v c^^(y)a

as you say it was free, can't argue with that, and as i pointed out earlier that it didn't appear to do much in a positive sense, it certainly wasn't detrimental to performance either.

i did notice certain small swr reading changes as Charlie Brown has mentioned, but never bothered looking into them with an analyser as performance on this antenna isn't majorly compromised by moderate swr readings (and i'm more into talking shit on radios than tuning antennas within a flea's bawhair of resonance), who needs fucking 1.0:1 swr anyway? i certainly don't expect it working anywhere between 26 and 28 mhz, if i get 2.0:1 i'm fine with that, most amps tolerate it easily enough and i'm handy enough with a soldering iron to fix those that struggle, although funnily enough none of mine have ever blew power transistors, but i've fixed a few for others.

it certainly made the antenna draw more curiosity from non radio people. good or bad? who knows.

it certainly drew attention of the local cops on several occasions, but then they are highly paranoid of anyone who has radio communication seeing as its their main advantage over other less organised gangs of thugs. they always seemed happy with the explanation it was a cb and the big thing with the large golden heatsink was infact a hifi amp:tongue::LOL: , no major threat to their world domination plans.{Cry_river}

bottom line is simple,

Charlie Brown's happy as a pig in shit, he ain't spent a dime and despite the fact he's a lowly cb'er in certain posters eye's, he's happy with his setup, a rarity nowadays where ego overrides common sense on many occasions.

Doc has proven beyond all doubt he's tighter than a nun's knickers, and guilty yet again of not reading the start of threads carefully, it was FREE:eek: Doc ;) and he's had ten years use of it, where i come from, and trust me, Glaswegians are tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm, we call that a bargain(y)

and Conor yet again proves beyond all reasonable doubt that Scooby Doo is less confused than he is.:confused::confused:

All's well that ends well:whistle::pop::pop:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Transmit and receive tests were done on the same vehicle, mine.....mounted in the same exact location, center of the roof. 3 base stations at 4 am (to avoid the skip) threw dead key signals for the receive tests. The same 3 bases using Cobra 2000s were 75-120 miles away with their beams pointed right at us. These receive and transmit tests were done on channel 17 and the dead key power we were using was 400 watts.

The resilts are in since my buddy got his Sirio P5000 yesterday from HY.
We tuned the antenna on my truck for the test. The Sirio did not need to be cut while My Wilson when I first bought it needed to be trimmed some 2 inches.
SWR-Wilson 5000 mag: 40-1.2.....1-1.2.....20-1.1
P5000 Mag: Same as Wilson 5000, maybe a 1/2 needle width better on 1 and 40.
Receive-2 needle widths better on ch 17, in other words no difference. 2 needle widths using all 3 base stations.
Transmit-Base station #1 76 miles away the Sirio beat the Wilson 5000 by 2 needle widths.
Base #2 85 miles away the Sirio beat the Wilson by a little more than 1/8 of an S-unit..
Base #3 120 miles way.....the Sirio beat the Wilson by 1/8 of an S-unit.

Although the Sirio is over 1.5 ft taller plus way heavier and did beat the Wilson, the results were less than what we expected given the rave reviews.
He will run the Sirio on a tri mag mount because of the substantial weight.
The minimal advantages of this godzilla base load, just don't make up for the stares and gawking of the general public, I'll stick with my lightweight low key Wilson 5000.

The Sirio does look impressive though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
thanks for sharing your results in this instance. i like it better than people just saying product "a" is better than product 'b" with no results of their experience.

thanks for sharing your results in this instance. i like it better than people just saying product "a" is better than product 'b" with no results of their experience.

I kind of forgot how fun talking long distance ground wave was, in a mobile. The Wilson magnet is a tad under 5" in diameter and that Sirio would be way too much for it. He got a 6" magnet base for it too and he is afraid to use the monster with it so he'll get a trimag and use it with that.
Although we didn't have radios that would go beyond the normal 40 cb bands, I have no doubt that the Sirio would broadband better.
The truck that the Sirio will be mounted on will be a 2011 Toyota Tacoma and I wonder how omnidirectional it'll be since the truck has a fiberglass bed.
I got a chance to talk to 3 old school Cbers that I haven't talked to in decades! Ground wave has sucked in Florida for years, might wake up and fire the base up early every once and a while. Nothing better than getting up early, playing radio then going to the Waffle House!!!!!!!!

If i'm going to run a triple mag mount, i would rather run my Francis or the 102"

and for dx as long as i have conditions...well you know the rest.

If i'm going to run a triple mag mount, i would rather run my Francis or the 102"

and for dx as long as i have conditions...well you know the rest.

You can be on the flat side with 50,000 watts but if you don't have conditions......you are just running up the power bill.
On the Sirio, the foldover feature is real nice for parking in a garage....forgot about that!

interesting results in your testing. some questions;

i see that you did the testing on a pick up. i wonder what the results would have been on a full sized vehicle?

i also wonder what your terrain is like? is it mostly flat with no obstructions?, or is it a mountianous region with hills and valleys and obstructions?

what radio was used?

just curious.

i do not know if anyone knows of another review that was done on another fourm that was in depth. if anyone would like a link to it please pm me and i will send it to you. this is the third test that i have read about being done with yet a different result...which leads me to one conclusion...

there will be many different outcomes with testing of these antennas which will vary from different vehicles, mounting, and terrain. it will be hard to tell the true difference without labratory testing. but even that will not show how one antenna will shine in one area of real world use as compared to another.

in my experence with both of these antennas there was more than just "operational" circumstances that won me over to the sirio. i am waiting to complete my "rebuild" of my 5000 load and do some testing with it. while it will not prove that it is all around better, it will prove how well either of these antennas will work for me under my circumstances.

now as far as the wilson 1000 is concerned, using one for almost ten years there was a large improvement with the sirio for me in the same operating conditions within my area. i also like the lower key "look" to the wilsons, but visual perception is just that. some factor this in as much as the actual operational capabilities of the antenna....it is a matter of personal choice.

Last edited:
Nope, the Wilson mag mount will not stand up to the weight of Sirio 5000 series. It will blow or be knocked over very easily.

It will screw onto the Wilson mag mount, but is to much of a beast to hold it at speed.

Through extensive research, and on the track of an approved testing facility, I can confirm the Wilson mag will hold the similar sized Sirio 3000 on the roof of a compact car at speeds in excess of 100MPH (y)

interesting results in your testing. some questions;

i see that you did the testing on a pick up. i wonder what the results would have been on a full sized vehicle?

i also wonder what your terrain is like? is it mostly flat with no obstructions?, or is it a mountianous region with hills and valleys and obstructions?

what radio was used?

just curious.

i do not know if anyone knows of another review that was done on another fourm that was in depth. if anyone would like a link to it please pm me and i will send it to you. this is the third test that i have read about being done with yet a different result...which leads me to one conclusion...

there will be many different outcomes with testing of these antennas which will vary from different vehicles, mounting, and terrain. it will be hard to tell the true difference without labratory testing. but even that will not show how one antenna will shine in one area of real world use as compared to another.

in my experence with both of these antennas there was more than just "operational" circumstances that won me over to the sirio. i am waiting to complete my "rebuild" of my 5000 load and do some testing with it. while it will not prove that it is all around better, it will prove how well either of these antennas will work for me under my circumstances.

now as far as the wilson 1000 is concerned, using one for almost ten years there was a large improvement with the sirio for me in the same operating conditions within my area. i also like the lower key "look" to the wilsons, but visual perception is just that. some factor this in as much as the actual operational capabilities of the antenna....it is a matter of personal choice.

Florida is as flat as a pancake! We did the test at a mall parking lot in Sanford.....yes the town where all the crap happened.

Radio used was a very stable Uniden Grant XL. Amp was a Worldwide 1x4 that was built for Bill to use in his truck, now he knows it'll do the watts and tune in great.

It would be nice to see what it would do on a full size truck or car.....the bigger the car/truck the better it should work.

I don't think you can go wrong with either antenna. I know the Wilson 1000/5000 has a damn good challenger now! That P5000 is a monster sized base load and it might very well beat the Wilson on other vehicles by an even wider margin. Impossible to test it in skip for obvious reasons.
We just stuck the whip into the load and it was almost perfect and we only had to move the whip 1/4" to get it perfectly even on both ends. When I was tuning in the Wilson 5000, 2" had to be cut before the swr was even.
Very nice to talk 120 miles nevertheless even though the antenna receiving us was a set of stacked 5 elements 90 ft up and perfect ground wave conditions. When he gets it all set up in his truck, we'll have a keydown. I imagine it will be pretty close.

Through extensive research, and on the track of an approved testing facility, I can confirm the Wilson mag will hold the similar sized Sirio 3000 on the roof of a compact car at speeds in excess of 100MPH

well there is an accurate test......(y)

Florida is as flat as a pancake! We did the test at a mall parking lot in Sanford.....yes the town where all the crap happened.

Radio used was a very stable Uniden Grant XL. Amp was a Worldwide 1x4 that was built for Bill to use in his truck, now he knows it'll do the watts and tune in great.

It would be nice to see what it would do on a full size truck or car.....the bigger the car/truck the better it should work.

I don't think you can go wrong with either antenna. I know the Wilson 1000/5000 has a damn good challenger now! That P5000 is a monster sized base load and it might very well beat the Wilson on other vehicles by an even wider margin. Impossible to test it in skip for obvious reasons.
We just stuck the whip into the load and it was almost perfect and we only had to move the whip 1/4" to get it perfectly even on both ends. When I was tuning in the Wilson 5000, 2" had to be cut before the swr was even.
Very nice to talk 120 miles nevertheless!!!!!!!!!!!

well there you go. glad to hear that you had some fun with it.;)

i am curious what your output swr results were with both antennae, with the amplifier running.

Through extensive research, and on the track of an approved testing facility, I can confirm the Wilson mag will hold the similar sized Sirio 3000 on the roof of a compact car at speeds in excess of 100MPH

well there is an accurate test......(y)

So I guess it'll stay on the truck during a catergory 3 hurricane. :laugh:.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.