• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

H&Y shipped my Sirio 5k yesterday. Hope to get it Monday. Meanwhile i got the car ready for the trip. Did some preliminary tuning with the wilson in the meanwhile.

Radio: General Grant with 50w dk.
Antenna: wilson 5k trunk lip mounted.
Vehicle: 2012 Altima 3.5SR Coupe

The best swr i could achieve was 1.6-1.7
I am hoping the Sirio tunes in a little better.

I couldnt get any radio checks because the locals werent out.

Will post More results as they come in.

Not much of a review I know, but thought to share what i found so far

images

Hmmm . . . I can see the problem with getting a decent SWR . . . kinda obvious with this car . . . maybe mag mount it on the hood - if it isn't plastic?

Last edited:
images

Hmmm . . . I can see the problem with getting a decent SWR . . . kinda obvious with this car . . . maybe mag mount it on the hood - if it isn't plastic?

Since you posted a picture of the altima sedan and not the coupe, i can tell you that the sedan doesnt tune it very well either as i had one too. Also thats a 2013...different design...slightly

Not positive why the wilson wouldnt tune in too good, a 55 r4 on a trunk mount tuned damn near flat in the same location. Only thing i can think of is that the 55 coil was above the roof line

Since you posted a picture of the altima sedan and not the coupe, i can tell you that the sedan doesnt tune it very well either as i had one too. Also thats a 2013...different design...slightly

Not positive why the wilson wouldnt tune in too good, a 55 r4 on a trunk mount tuned damn near flat in the same location. Only thing i can think of is that the 55 coil was above the roof line

I think that the problem is that the antenna doesn't have a sheet metal ground plane to work with. Having said that - it is going to be difficult to get any antenna tuned on it.

If this is a picture of your car below; then you would be better served to use a mag mount on the roof. Then, the SWR of any antenna should be better - IMO . . .

Nissan-Altima-2012.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I think that the problem is that the antenna doesn't have a sheet metal ground plane to work with. Having said that - it is going to be difficult to get any antenna tuned on it.

If this is a picture of your car below; then you would be better served to use a mag mount on the roof. hen, the SWR of any antenna should be better - IMO . . .

Nissan-Altima-2012.jpg

Yes thats my car there! I used to have the wilson mag on the roof and it tuned in a little better but now much. And that was on my altima sedan. My coupe now has a sun roof so theres even less metal now.

I really wanted to go for the low profile-type look and truthfully the wilson on the trunk mount isnt all that obtrusive (car is black) but since this is onlu for a long distance drive im not all that concerned about performance. Once i get there the antenna gets removed.

Interestingly enough though the 55 on a trunk lip mount tuned in much batter. But that was quite an eyesore.

I guess i'll find out in short order if the sirio tunes any better

If this is a picture of your car below; then you would be better served to use a mag mount on the roof. Then, the SWR of any antenna should be better - IMO . . .

Nissan-Altima-2012.jpg

i agree with robb. and also being a former wilson antenna user for over the last decade
they dont tune well on trunks,at least mine didnt. a wilson 2000 trucker with a 18 inch shaft tuned better for me .but the cil was above the roofline. which falls right inline with what robb said

i agree with robb. and also being a former wilson antenna user for over the last decade
they dont tune well on trunks,at least mine didnt. a wilson 2000 trucker with a 18 inch shaft tuned better for me .but the cil was above the roofline. which falls right inline with what robb said

It also concurs with my findings...when i had a center loaded antenna on the trunk it tuned in much better

this is an interesting read there guys. i have one of those 5000 truckers with a ten inch shaft, but since i have the sirio, with the performance that i have seen, i can't really justify the time playing around with it, so here it sits collecting dust....LOL

It also concurs with my findings...when i had a center loaded antenna on the trunk it tuned in much better

yes cause the load coil is below the roofline. sorry just nature of the beast.
the ideal place for a antenna is the roof. i never tried my sirio on the trunk
but if its like a wilson mag mount i wouldnt expect it to be much better.
heres what id do
short distances
lil wil on the roof
long distances =
wilson 5000/sirio 500 on roof
wilson 5000 trucker or other center load antenna on the trunk
these i think will work the best with the location i listed. other mounting locations
will likely hurt performance /swr. imho.

this is an interesting read there guys. i have one of those 5000 truckers with a ten inch shaft, but since i have the sirio, with the performance that i have seen, i can't really justify the time playing around with it, so here it sits collecting dust....LOL

the sirio will out do that one too. even if ya mount it on the roof. at least in my tests.
ive spent WAY too much on antennas in the last 20 years or more.and alot of tests...lol

yes cause the load coil is below the roofline. sorry just nature of the beast.
the ideal place for a antenna is the roof. i never tried my sirio on the trunk
but if its like a wilson mag mount i wouldnt expect it to be much better.
heres what id do
short distances
lil wil on the roof
long distances =
wilson 5000/sirio 500 on roof
wilson 5000 trucker or other center load antenna on the trunk
these i think will work the best with the location i listed. other mounting locations
will likely hurt performance /swr. imho.

I had the wilson mag on the roof of my old car. Still that wouldnt tune in that great. I think 1.5 was about the best I saw. Now my 55 on a tri-mag on the roof was great. Swr was a hair above flat. However when I put that setup on the truck it refused to tune. Not enough sheet metal on the trunk.

the sirio will out do that one too. even if ya mount it on the roof. at least in my tests.
ive spent WAY too much on antennas in the last 20 years or more.and alot of tests...lol

I finally installed my Sirio P-5000 on the Mag-145pl. And is stronger than the Wilson 1000 Mag mount, However, The only problem with the Mag-145pl is the coax is way too short for my needs. For now i installed a Barrel connector and a 3' piece of coax and brought my SWR's down to 1.1 and I can go below 26.965 And my SWR's at Freq. 27.555 1.4 not bad at all, Also this P-5000 out performs my Wilson 1000. Now I need to buy some better coax at the length I have it now.

I finally installed my Sirio P-5000 on the Mag-145pl. And is stronger than the Wilson 1000 Mag mount, However, The only problem with the Mag-145pl is the coax is way too short for my needs. For now i installed a Barrel connector and a 3' piece of coax and brought my SWR's down to 1.1 and I can go below 26.965 And my SWR's at Freq. 27.555 1.4 not bad at all, Also this P-5000 out performs my Wilson 1000. Now I need to buy some better coax at the length I have it now.

At least two of us are happy :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.