• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

I finally installed my Sirio P-5000 on the Mag-145pl. And is stronger than the Wilson 1000 Mag mount, However, The only problem with the Mag-145pl is the coax is way too short for my needs. For now i installed a Barrel connector and a 3' piece of coax and brought my SWR's down to 1.1 and I can go below 26.965 And my SWR's at Freq. 27.555 1.4 not bad at all, Also this P-5000 out performs my Wilson 1000. Now I need to buy some better coax at the length I have it now.

How are these test being performed? If by DX then I don't subscribe...

If there is a better antenna out there on line of sight, then I want one, but it has to be for the right results.

Post up the results, make me want to buy one.

I finally installed my Sirio P-5000 on the Mag-145pl. And is stronger than the Wilson 1000 Mag mount, However, The only problem with the Mag-145pl is the coax is way too short for my needs. For now i installed a Barrel connector and a 3' piece of coax and brought my SWR's down to 1.1 and I can go below 26.965 And my SWR's at Freq. 27.555 1.4 not bad at all, Also this P-5000 out performs my Wilson 1000. Now I need to buy some better coax at the length I have it now.

im glad that you like it. you may want to try a 15'3" length of LMR240 ultraflex on it. i remember reading that someone scanned the antenna with a mfj 259b and found the resonent frequency at 27.025. so i did the calculation
492/27.025=18.205 X.84=15.292 or 15'3"

the swr curve i have at 2:0:1 is 26.005 to 28.555.

this is what i am using on it and it seems to work fine.

Reactions: 1 person
How are these test being performed? If by DX then I don't subscribe...

If there is a better antenna out there on line of sight, then I want one, but it has to be for the right results.

Post up the results, make me want to buy one.

i was sceptical for a long time too, untill i tried one. kind of hard to produce proof of these findings since there isn't any test equiptment made to offer up such evidence, well except for the mfj259b. and or perhaps a video recorder on the other end capturing the results. this which of course would be picked apart by the sceptics calling it "rigged".

so far with my experence with these antennas where you see the difference is on long distance groundwave contacts and noise reduction.

where you are seeing the differences between 1/2 and 1 "s" unit in Rx and Tx....as compared to the wilson 5000. dosen't seem like much but at a distance just comes down to either being heard or not being heard.

perhaps this is due to the whip being longer, or not having a reactance issue like the wilson 5000 suffers from.

in anycase, it is enough for me to feel comfortable recommending them to others as a alternative choice to the problem child wilson 5000 at the current time.....

I had the wilson mag on the roof of my old car. Still that wouldnt tune in that great. I think 1.5 was about the best I saw. Now my 55 on a tri-mag on the roof was great. Swr was a hair above flat. However when I put that setup on the truck it refused to tune. Not enough sheet metal on the trunk.

A while back a friend suggested maybe the reason for poor tuning on the trunk could be due to the rear window defroster grid might be causing some reflect issues. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Last edited:
and since all you guys have is mostly baseloaded antennas
there are a few center load antennas in the country being tested and the reports coming back
sounds just like the guy going from a wilson to a siro
is it true that a center load will outperform a baseloaded antenna?

nice to see you guys over the pond have finally realised what us Europeans have known for at least a decade, that the cheap Chinese built Sirio's, easily outperform and are cheaper than the made in the Usa pishy Wilsons that are seriously overpriced, just like k40's before them.

Won't be long before your ready to hand over the world's largest superpower status to the Chinese. oh by the way, Chinese cuisine is top quality shit too,you guys will love it;):D:D

so by adding the extra coax?
did that tune your antenna or did you tune the coax to the antenna to make it look better

I talked mobile to base from Nashville TN to Ocoee TN which is well over 120 air miles. Nashville is about 400 ft above sea level and I had to talk across Mancester, Monteagle Mountain and the mountains that surround Chattanooga TN. which are well over 2000 ft above sea level. Three different guys I spoke with running 4 element beams. 3-4 lbs on the one beam that was 70 ft plus. I was running a 2x4. I have ran with most of the base stations around here. There's ya sum line of sight. And in DX well ask 454 in Mississippi how I was talkn over base stations on I-20 last Friday night when I left Columbia SC and drove I-20 from there to I-95 at Florence SC. I held conditions with that antenna and a 2x8 for 80+ miles. Again. The talkingest antenna I have ever owned.

so by adding the extra coax?
did that tune your antenna or did you tune the coax to the antenna to make it look better

The Coax was too short, As I stated. So by installing a Barrel Connector and adding a 3' section of coax, that did lower my SWR. As far as making that look better ?? I don't care what it looks like as long as it performs. I've tried more Center loads, Base loads, Top loads than you can imagine. From a Hustler ( Beer Can ) Antenna to a Nugatron. Driving Semi's since '77 , I've tried a lot of different Antennas. Now i drive a mini-Van for deliveries. This Sirio has a better Receive than The Wilson-1000. Oh Yea, I could install a 4-Quad Magnet set up and buy a Predator 10k since I have Not tried that antenna yet. But for now I like what I have.

The Coax was too short, As I stated. So by installing a Barrel Connector and adding a 3' section of coax, that did lower my SWR...

If changing the length of coax changed your SWR then your antenna can and should be tuned better. As long as you are using the proper coax (50 ohm) changing the length of coax will not change the SWR's on a properly tuned antenna (also 50 ohms). Measuring SWR at the antenna and not along the coax will also show you how off your antenna truly is. The antenna should be your true concern here.

Changing the length of coax doesn't help your antenna any, it still performs just as poorly, no matter what the SWR meter says.

The DB

H&Y shipped my Sirio 5k yesterday. Hope to get it Monday. Meanwhile i got the car ready for the trip. Did some preliminary tuning with the wilson in the meanwhile.

Radio: General Grant with 50w dk.
Antenna: wilson 5k trunk lip mounted.
Vehicle: 2012 Altima 3.5SR Coupe

The best swr i could achieve was 1.6-1.7
I am hoping the Sirio tunes in a little better.

I couldnt get any radio checks because the locals werent out.

Will post More results as they come in.

Not much of a review I know, but thought to share what i found so far

I see similar results with my Wilson 5000 mag mount stuck on the roof of my F150 Super Crew (4 door). I am unable to get the SWR under 1.5:1 across the band. Haven't fiddled with it in a while, as I got kind of aggravated with trying to tune it for lower SWR. I am ok with a 1.5:1 ratio, but using it with my Texas Star DX500? Fuhgeddaboutit! SWR goes through the roof with the amp on. I know that can be another issue, but have tried it with my Bencher TVI filter, with no change. No problems whatsoever with my 5' Firestick though.

The place I bought mine from had the Stryker version lined up across from the Wilsons. Owner said they were exactly the same, made at the same plant, but labeled differently for marketing purposes. I have no idea if that is true or not.

RT307

If changing the length of coax changed your SWR then your antenna can and should be tuned better. As long as you are using the proper coax (50 ohm) changing the length of coax will not change the SWR's on a properly tuned antenna (also 50 ohms). Measuring SWR at the antenna and not along the coax will also show you how off your antenna truly is. The antenna should be your true concern here.

Changing the length of coax doesn't help your antenna any, it still performs just as poorly, no matter what the SWR meter says.

The DB

this is true. however in a mobile application this is hard to accomplish. measuring the swr at the antenna is not proctical for most people.

I see similar results with my Wilson 5000 mag mount stuck on the roof of my F150 Super Crew (4 door). I am unable to get the SWR under 1.5:1 across the band. Haven't fiddled with it in a while, as I got kind of aggravated with trying to tune it for lower SWR. I am ok with a 1.5:1 ratio, but using it with my Texas Star DX500? Fuhgeddaboutit! SWR goes through the roof with the amp on. I know that can be another issue, but have tried it with my Bencher TVI filter, with no change. No problems whatsoever with my 5' Firestick though.

The place I bought mine from had the Stryker version lined up across from the Wilsons. Owner said they were exactly the same, made at the same plant, but labeled differently for marketing purposes. I have no idea if that is true or not.

RT307

i could have told you that, not sure how old your wilson 5000 is ,but from what i have seen when i disected the load on mine could be caused by a couple of things. the corrosion where the top end of the coil goes through the brass compression fitting being the main culprit. going to try a few different things when i start to rebuild it. however, i am not sure exactly how to confront the reactance issue that this antenna suffers from. you won't find any of those problems just by switching to the sirio 5000 series. at least i didn't with mine.

The Coax was too short, As I stated. So by installing a Barrel Connector and adding a 3' section of coax, that did lower my SWR. As far as making that look better ?? I don't care what it looks like as long as it performs. I've tried more Center loads, Base loads, Top loads than you can imagine. From a Hustler ( Beer Can ) Antenna to a Nugatron. Driving Semi's since '77 , I've tried a lot of different Antennas. Now i drive a mini-Van for deliveries. This Sirio has a better Receive than The Wilson-1000. Oh Yea, I could install a 4-Quad Magnet set up and buy a Predator 10k since I have Not tried that antenna yet. But for now I like what I have.

heres a good example since you have a mini van
i had a ford aerostar extended version
i had a wilson 5000 magmount for about 2 months then
drill a hole at a foot from rear installed a puck mount put some 213 coax and screwed a 22 inch shaft comp coil 10k
and when i did that i could tell alot of difference

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.