• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Siro 5000 vs Wilson 1000... The results

Just got back from my buddy with the MFJ. With his help we get the Sirio to tune in much much better than before. Now I get 1.4 SWR across all 40 and the "R" ranges between 42-50 depending on the channel.

Next up will be the TX & RX over the air tests versus the Wilson 5k

Reactions: 1 person
FWIW I've had a Sirio with a Sirio magmount for several years and its happily done 80+MPH into a strong headwind with no issues. Never moved even a millimeter and it also hits four trees at least once a day

that would be my findings as well.

i guess that would be about the best swr you will get on a newer vehicle. i wonder if the swr will be the same or higher with the wilson?

The wilson tuned in a little higher. 1.6-1.7

My friend has a sirio base antenna (non-gain master) and he loves it. He was very impressed with the p5k of mine. He's thinking of getting one for his truck.

Just for a goof we threw it on his truck with my wilson mag mount and without tuning anything his swr was 1.3-1.5 depending on channel.

Im still waiting for a lite local action to do a side by side test of tx &rx between the two antennas.

The Sirio mobile antenna I have - the 4000 - has a bandwidth below 2:1 of about 1.8MHz which is bloody impressive considering how well it performs. Usually such a wide bandwidth would indicate a really crap lossy antenna.

I want some pictures of the way you people have your Sirio antenna mounted on your vehicles.........through the roof and magnet mounts.

P5k on a Wilson trunk lip mount

photobucket-28291-1339954677747.jpg

Last edited:
heres mine again !! breedlove puck... you may here me sometimes on 26 the mini bowl. 112 workn this yesterdays chevrolet.

Hey Charlie, does that ground plane kit really do anything? Just asking because I see quite a few mobiles using them especially with Wilsons. I have heard critics say they are just a gimmick. But since you run it, what are your findings with the gpk vs. without it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I want some pictures of the way you people have your Sirio antenna mounted on your vehicles.........through the roof and magnet mounts.

I have a Suby Outback and it is mounted right smack in the middle of the roof. As others said...with the Siro version of a mag mount...its rock solid.

Hey Charlie, does that ground plane kit really do anything? Just asking because I see quite a few mobiles using them especially with Wilsons. I have heard critics say they are just a gimmick. But since you run it, what are your findings with the gpk vs. without it?

You're right, it does nothing other than empty the wallets of the gullible.

The antenna has a groundplane - the one the mount is attached to.

You're right, it does nothing other than empty the wallets of the gullible.

The antenna has a groundplane - the one the mount is attached to. Those things do absolutely nothing because the RF flows over the path of least resistance - the great hulking sheet of metal which makes up the roof of the vehicle.

Those radials are almost too short to be even of any use at VHF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.