1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Size Matters - An A99 question......

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by guitar_199, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. guitar_199

guitar_199 Well-Known Member

I just downloaded the assembly manual for an A99 and what I am looking for does not seem to be written in there.

Does anyone know off the top of your head ... what is the max diameter pole that an A99 will mount to? I guess the basic thing is.... how wide are the U bolts that come with it...and I don't know.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance,
    Bob

kaos513 likes this.

2. Unit 75

Unit 75 "TRAINMAN"

It will mount up to a 1.5" max. diameter mast or pole.

kaos513 and midnight special like this.
  3. guitar_199

Excellent. Thank you much!

Bob

kaos513 and Unit 75 like this.
  4. AtLarge

AtLarge Member

Just a thought... That 1.5'' might be using the included U bolts. When I put up my HF flagpole I had to cheat a little since it's slightly larger in metric. I just got U bolts from my local Ace and tweaked them slightly and the bolts are longer. The ones included with the antenna are pretty short.

5. guitar_199

That is a great thing to keep in mind. I was thinking of the original U-bolts....but I suppose a hardware store could add some possibilities..... thanks!!!

6. Road Squawker

Road Squawker Sr. Member

why do you need anything larger than 1 1/2" mast to hold up an a 99?

7. guitar_199

Me? I don't. Originally I could find no indication of what size mast this thing could use.... either recommended or MAX. I was thinking of a 1 3/8" chain link fence top rail and wanted to be sure that it would fit that.

XXX and CB590 like this.
  8. Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna Sr. Member

Top rail from Home Depot works great.

XXX, CB590 and guitar_199 like this.
  9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

I had to do that.

guitar_199 likes this.
  10. kaos513

kaos513 Sr. Member

I used electrical conduit of course with ground strap

Mudfoot likes this.
  11. guitar_199

So just for fun...... do you have any kind of lightning arrester/protector anything like that on your coax? Does anybody do that anymore?

12. Unit 75

Unit 75 "TRAINMAN"

I just unplug my coax when I'm done talking, Only takes 5 seconds..... no worries.

Sonar and 357magnum like this.
  13. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

I heard/read someplace ( or maybe someone told me ) that the chain link fence rail isn't that great ? I was going to use it for my beam install & was advised not to . I can't remember who/where & that doesn't mean they were right !:D I have plenty of that rail .

14. CB590

CB590 W9WDX Member

What I found testing today was that with my A99 and power of like 100w or more the top rail may conduct the RF off the feedline coax and skew your SWR abit. I made some 6" standoffs to keep the coax away from the mast/top rail.. SWR was better..

IMG_20190920_132056203.jpg

If your not running power you can just ignore and ziptie the coax to mast like most..

Also use caution if you decide to choke the A99 as it does need some coax for the grounding.. unless you get the GPK too.

Anyways that's my take from today's up/down to mine..

15. S&W357

S&W357 WDX-556 / 2NC556 $upporting Member

Hmmmm...my coax from A99 runs straight down the mast pipe (as does a ground wire) and is attached with rubber tape at a few spots. I don't seem to have any SWR issues with/without an amplifier on. I do have the coax right below the antenna rolled into a small 5" choke coil. Why, I dunno. o_O

[​IMG]