• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

So.. then.. this site allows discussion of illegal CB stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, but, they always told me you couldn't teach an old dog new tricks. :laugh::love::D

pappy.gif
Hey, welcome to my world. Something I learn today will probably be forgotten a day later and I get to learn it all over again!
killingme_01.gif

I meant like discussing illegal CB amps.. using non type-accepted gear, and the like.

All in all... radio is radio.... I do not wanna seem like one of those "Elitists" I put my pants on the same as anyone else.

73 John

This is the very reason WHY I am no longer a ham operator. I was extra class years ago, (yes, I had to take the code test, too) but let it lapse and had no desire to renew it or get back into it anymore. I'll never forsake my CB radio roots. I got tired of all the people hating on CB'ers like we're "scum of the earth". I won't go to QRZed for that same reason. It's all I ever heard when I was a ham. I didn't DARE mention about anything CB related, I'd get threats of FCC on me.

To this day I have to deal with an "Elitist" ham operator disrupting our local SSB check-in on 39 LSB. We have offered to let him in, give him a number, and participate with our group, but instead he just continues to disrupt and heckle us, and threaten with "I'm gonna turn you all into the FCC!" nonsense.

I respect the hams in the sense that I do not go to any of the ham bands. My fellow members in the local SSB club feel the same way. We as a club don't go out and agitate people, key up on them, run thousands of watts, play a bunch of noise toys, etc. Not all of us "illegal good buddies" are bad apples.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but in a way I have to thank you, for keeping me firmly rooted in CB'ing. I'll enjoy it until the day I die.

Rick

This is the very reason WHY I am no longer a ham operator. I was extra class years ago, (yes, I had to take the code test, too) but let it lapse and had no desire to renew it or get back into it anymore. I'll never forsake my CB radio roots. I got tired of all the people hating on CB'ers like we're "scum of the earth". I won't go to QRZed for that same reason. It's all I ever heard when I was a ham. I didn't DARE mention about anything CB related, I'd get threats of FCC on me.

To this day I have to deal with an "Elitist" ham operator disrupting our local SSB check-in on 39 LSB. We have offered to let him in, give him a number, and participate with our group, but instead he just continues to disrupt and heckle us, and threaten with "I'm gonna turn you all into the FCC!" nonsense.

I respect the hams in the sense that I do not go to any of the ham bands. My fellow members in the local SSB club feel the same way. We as a club don't go out and agitate people, key up on them, run thousands of watts, play a bunch of noise toys, etc. Not all of us "illegal good buddies" are bad apples.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but in a way I have to thank you, for keeping me firmly rooted in CB'ing. I'll enjoy it until the day I die.

Rick

Very interesting. My CB Roots go back into the early 70's. I am a Freebander and I am an old Outlaw Trucker who runs an Outlaw 10/11 meter radio and an Outlaw 10/11 meter Amp. As a famous person once said: I YAM WHAT I YAM

pappy.gif
Well, for the record - I have absolutely no problem with CB. I can still remember the breakfast get-together's and taking up the entire resturant - it was simply a blast! Heck, I still have friends made over CB. Both CB and Amateur Radio has its pro's and con's and nice guys and fools. The fantastic thing about both is you can just change the channel and/or frequency and move on.

I think Johnny may have been influenced by some of the "Elitists" over at the Zed. After all, it appears he's just trying to "self police" the CB band. There's nothing wrong that, except perhaps the interpretation of "self police". Some think it gives them the right and power to condemn those that may step outside the rules. IMO the people with this interpretation appear to be acting out with their newfound "power" in order to compensate for shortcomings and/or inadequacies in their lives. A typical example of this behavior would be a bully on the playground. I strongly believe in the idea that we "self police", but my interpretation is a bit different. I take it in the literal sense - self police. It is my responsibility to know and obide by the rules that apply to the radio service I am utilizing. Not saying I would, but if I were to step outside those rules then any consequences of that action are also my responsibility. It does not give me the right to insist that others adhere to my interpretation or opinion.

KE3W made a great point in his last post.

Truth be told, I don't hate ham operators, I just don't care for the "Elitist" ham operators. I have several friends that are hams, and even a few members of our SSB club that are hams, they are great people. I just have a low tolerance for people that have that "holier than thou" attitude, which is something I ran into a lot when I was a ham operator.

I do run in the freeband but very seldom run anything over 35W PEP, unless there's real heavy traffic on the frequency, and I'm needing to get ahold of one of my friends. I don't have a problem if people run extra power, as long as they aren't using it to cause hate & discontent with it. I just wanted to make it clear that I don't have a personal vendetta against hams, I just don't care for the attitude that some hams have regarding CB'ers.

~Cheers~

So.. then.. this site allows discussion of illegal CB stuff

I have been allover that FCC website, I have yet to find anything that says;

Discussion of "illegal CB Stuff" is, well, Illegal?

Can you quote the rule, law, regulation so I can find it?

By all means, if it is illegal to discuss, we will certainly make the appropriate adjustments.

Last edited:
I've been a ham since 1969, and I'll be a ham 'til the day I die. Been a CB'er since 1966, and will continue to operate on CB no matter what any elitist Pecksniff thinks. Life is too short to waste being a bigot.

We don't put up with that sort of nonsense around here. If any elitist tried that, he'd get a snoot full of hams telling him where to go, and what bus to take to get there! Our 10M ham gang occasionally goes over to the CB for a chat with the locals. The locals know who we are, and we are very respectful. Occasionally we get flack from some ham Pecksniff elitist deriding us for "slumming". We tell him to f.o. and recite our own ham bios to him... none of us are ham newbies; we've been licensed 20 years or more (40 for me) and we're all the highest Canadian license class. He can go kiss our pink pimpled a$$. We don't take crap like that. Guys llike that are dinosaurs. Today, over 70% of new hams come from the CB. Over 70% of hams operate CB. The guy is not only ignorant, he is a bigot. His world is getting smaler every day, as he finds less and less people to talk to. And he wonders why?

And that's why we talk on the CB - to talk to guys like you. (We have an ulterior motive - that of upgrading some of the more serious CB'ers. ;) )

I like everybody, but everybody don't like me . . . but then again, everyone doesn't know me. Good thing, though, as no one would like me if they all knew me.

;)

Last edited:
This is probably a rhetorical question...

Looks like a good site.. except that the "Illegal Good Buddy" stuff going on here....

Should I be sorry I joined here?

Why do so many legallity obsessed hams care what others are doing illegally,

does it affect you?

would it make your experience of radio better if people didn't pirate?

does it make you feel superior in some way if you don't do anything illegal?

do other hams not do enough illegal stuff to allow you to concentrate on them and leave us lowly illegal cb'ers alone?

or is it just plain old jealousy because they have the gonads and you haven't to defy authorities that are just plain old government money making departments that have absolutely no care whatsoever about the spectrum (and no moral right whatsoever to control it seeing as they are self elected nobodies) and will quite happily sell it off to the highest and most gullable bidder?

not to mention the spectrum is a naturally occuring phenomena and they have no right to charge for its use,

what next? charge us for lightning,air,thunder,sunlight ? make a test that a 6 year old could pass to allow those who pass it to go outside in the dark? a bit like they did to allow certain people with the iq of a worm on the ham bands.

maybe its just time to take your head from where its buried and see the light that snobbery/prejudice/elitism is just CRAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.