• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stopping channel bleed over for locals.

CK,

I would give you the nod that a ham rig with filtering is a better performer than a CB costing a lot less.

So these guys should "pony up" and all buy ham rigs. The problem will go away.

Case closed.

( and I am jesting with you CK ) :)

CK,

I would give you the nod that a ham rig with filtering is a better performer than a CB costing a lot less.

So these guys should "pony up" and all buy ham rigs. The problem will go away.

Case closed.

( and I am jesting with you CK ) :)

Actually I agree with you. ;) It certainly wouldn't hurt and would definitely help out. (y) Somehow however I don't really see that happening.

Reactions: Mudfoot
A used ham rig on todays market can be purchased for about the same price as those DX radio things.

Try installing an RF choke at the feed point of that IMAX 2000. It will help eliminate some of the CMC on your coax.

IF the antenna is not grounded then install a good ground.

This will help but it will not eliminate the fact that the other ops are so close to you.

A used ham rig on todays market can be purchased for about the same price as those DX radio things.

Try installing an RF choke at the feed point of that IMAX 2000. It will help eliminate some of the CMC on your coax.

IF the antenna is not grounded then install a good ground.

This will help but it will not eliminate the fact that the other ops are so close to you.

I had the same problem years ago. Close neighbors can be a pain in the ass. I up graded and bought a R390A receiver and a EF JOHNSON VALIANT. The R390a has mechanical filters in it. I also listen in on a walkie talkie 90% bleed over gone with both. Now i use a SDR receiver no problems(y) costly but worth not having listen to bleed over:):)

Using a Ham rig isn't necessarily a cure . . .

I get on 10m in the morning using the Kenwood TS-2000. When on, at/about 10:30AM, I hear bleedover. So I flipped the dial and found two truckers on a local rock run talking on 35 AM/CB. They are on the freeway less than a 1/2mi from my station. Boy; do they bleed! Echo, roger beeps, and dirty amps; the whole works. Every day for 15 min.

I get on 10m in the morning using the Kenwood TS-2000. When on, at/about 10:30AM, I hear bleedover. So I flipped the dial and found two truckers on a local rock run talking on 35 AM/CB. They are on the freeway less than a 1/2mi from my station. Boy; do they bleed! Echo, roger beeps, and dirty amps; the whole works. Every day for 15 min.
Hmm, there goes my suggestion if it was receive only, but the OP was worried about his transmit as well effecting others.

Last edited:

The more modern radios are not as good as the older ones when it comes to filtering. Remember when the manufacturers started coming out with that new fangled thing called roofing filters? They were supposed to be far superior to the existing front ends in radios at the time. Guess what those roofing filters were. Yup....the same thing they got rid of years before that all the good radios had in them......real decent filters on the front end before the RX preamp. My old IC-735 would run circles around most modern radios today and was certainly better that a lot of the radios with their "roofing filters". Triple conversion is the way to man.....triple conversion. (y)

BTW Robb did you try switching the preamp OFF and see how much difference it made? Most of the time you don't need the preamp on and when turning it off while receiving a really strong signal it will drop the crud factor by many more dB than the difference the preamp makes. Sometimes it will disappear altogether yet the station you want to hear only drops an S-unit or two.

Reactions: dc2rf
Nah, I keep the preamp off anyway. These guys really bleed pretty hard at that distance. Once they get ~3mi away, they don't bleed any more.

I heard 8113 today on 38LSB and called for him. He heard me briefly; but with so much traffic on the band, he didn't get my call ('WR-11'). But what I did hear of him, it sounded like he was overdriving his amp with his radio. Too much mic gain from what I could tell.

I think a horizontal beam/Yagi would help him hear better and not need an amp; not to mention he won't have a bleedover problem if he does it all correctly - IMO . . .

Robb that was you WR11 out of california! Yea i heard ya in there a bit. When you asked me to switch over to 37 i was running barefoot at the time because other locals were on 42. No amp going at the time and everyone else was reporting good audio. maybe conditions at the time?

Why? Keep it linear and you'll be fine. Clean in clean out.
Another thing to watch out for is your power supply. I had one local really sounding bad on every channel and every mode. Too weak and sounded clipped and distorted. I had to troubleshoot his problems from radio and internet contacts and every thing I told him did not work. He finally invited me over to check his station out. I saw the problem straight away. A dinky little home made power supply. 35 amp bridge rectifier, 5 10,000 uf capacitors, and one small 10 va transformer. Too small, and there was no regulation on the voltage. I gave him a spare power supply I had and the problem was fixed.
I forgot to mention he was feeding this messed up signal into a RMItaly 400 watt base station amplifier.

Last edited:
Another thing to watch out for is your power supply. A dinky little home made power supply. 35 amp bridge rectifier, 5 10,000 uf capacitors, and one small 10 va transformer. Too small, and there was no regulation on the voltage....

Oh yea, no regulation is an absolute no-no. Even with regulation, if the supply is too small, the voltage will "sag" on voice peaks and cause all sorts of bad waveforms into that amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.