• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

STRYKER EXPERT NEEDED

I am glad I want a Stryker or would've missed all the cat info.
Can someone be more specific as to where the rf chokes need to be? Not sure which wires. Just a company frieghthauler but would sure like to hear more than a couple miles.

What engine do you have? The problem seems to have started with the newer Acert Cat engines. Not all experience the same level of RF interferance.

Mine is really bad around 5 S units under load.

I believe each and every pos. and neg. injector wire must be shielded at the source, meaning at the injector. This would mean removing all the twin turbo and air hoses on top of the engine as will as the valve covers. Not a easy job to have done on a company tractor.

The interferance is comming through the antenna system so it must be stop at the source.

good luck

Have the acert engine in the tractor I'm driving now. I get 5 S units to,that's on my Justin tuned Connex 3300,it was over 7 before.Removing all those parts isn't an option (krap).Probably get fired for tampering with the equipment.If you figure out anything it would be great to hear it.Thanks for the reply and good luck to you.

boomer111 said:
Well like I said the Stryker in the older Pete with a 1992 400 cat was fine, although I have the Mofset recieve mod. In the newer Cat 15 Acert motor well it's normal except when the manifold gets over 20 lbs. By the way these newer Cats get 50 lbs pressure. I have switched radios and they all pick up the RF interference the same.
Yeah for those wondering .The only Cat to my knowledgethat has the problem is the twin turbo Acert engine. The company I work for has 12 truck and ALL of them have them same problem. Even though you ask some of the drivers and they say theirs doesn't do it because the keep the squelch up..go figure.

The frist thing I did to try to remedy the situation was take the rocker covers off and put those clips on the injector wires but it didn't work in my case.

I woked on the problem for 8 months to no avail. Never solved Personally I don't think iot can be solved.

Now I just call Cat and email them for pure harassment. Each time they give me the same line of BS which is "we have never heard of this problem before". I haven't used the radio in my big truck for over a year now..It's no use I can"t hear anyone will a signal less than 5 S units :x

Sleepwalker, I fell you pain!!

So you did remove the rocker covers already. Man that really sucks it didn't help.

I too have come to live with the problem. I just RF gain the noise level out. Sure is quite most of the time. Really only truck to truck talking now while going down the road.

No need for and amp already talk much futher than I can hear.

My Co. just recieved 3 more of the Acert C15 Cat's. I have already warned the drivers on what might happen.

We have a couple of C15 pre Ascert with no problems.

Really is a drag and yes Cat claims too that I was the first one to have a problem. Go check your install, must be a grading problem. No I say it's RF comming through the antenna system. Well they say your the only one to complain.

At least I don't hear all those obnoxious base stations much anymore, unless I drive right under their antenna.

The very first thing I done was remove the rocker covers. I did it twice no doubt trying different ferrite each time. I can hear great when I'm off the throttle. Hell even when the jake is on and you get that backflow which registers as boost pressure on the gauge I get the damn noise then too.That led me to believe it was not in the injectors. I have tried everything known to man(seriously) I even went as far a checking the electrolyte levels in the coolant as someone suggested. a local Cb tech friend of mine said he was sure he could fix it. I told him if he could I would give him $500. He worked on it 2 days non stop with no luck.

No other non Acert C15 I have had had this problem. What really sucks is that Cat will lie and tell anyone that asks them about the problem. But that's the way of the world.

In short, Buy a Cummings or Detroit and save yourself the headache. 10-4

Sleepwalker, did you notice that the noise dropped 1 S when the fan kicks on?

I had a similiar problem about 20 years ago. It was during recieve getting extra noise unless the signal was very strong. I tried everything. One day I was talking locoaly explaing my problem and a guy in skipland told me to disconnect the sending unit from the rear ends. He said I have a bad bearing giving out harmonics. I pulled over and Cut the sending wires and NO MORE NOISE.

I was thinking along this line here but with so many having the same problem, well I have given up.

Actually the current problem is very similiar.

problem must just be with the c-15, i am running the c-13 and noise is the same with truck turned off or running. wonder what differences between the 2 motors would be causing the noise.

Maybe it's the size of the injectors, or manifold pressure. Longhorn what manifold pressure do you see with the C13? I get between 45 and 50 for the Acert C15 475 HP with 1850 lbs. TQ.

Dunno really just thinking out loud.

Keep in mind that it has to be something electrical/electronic generating the noise as you search for the problem. Here's an idea that I personally have never tried before, but might help in finding the source. Build or buy an RF sniffer probe, and look around for RF in the engine and dash area when revving the motor. If there's some way you can put the truck on a dyno and do this with a load on the engine, even better yet.

DTB, This has been done already by the company ( name escapes me now ) who make the BOX which the antenna system for the cb, am/fm radio and even cell phone runs through. All these devices share the same antenna system. I talked with them and said that they found RF from the ECM.

By the way I have by- passed this Box with seperate coax and the problem still showed its ugly head.

And yes a load on the engine is needed for the RF to be heard, usually around the 20 lb mark and up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.