• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Stryker SR -955 hp

skip searcher

Nov 17, 2006
IRELAND
Any operators using one of these radios ' as I'm thinking of purchasing one I like the 70 watts swing can anyone tell me is that on modulation as I notice these radios also have variable power .

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye

I have one and it is one of the best radios I ow. exellent on ssb... Yes modulation is that plus. It does have variable power...

Any operators using one of these radios ' as I'm thinking of purchasing one I like the 70 watts swing can anyone tell me is that on modulation as I notice these radios also have variable power .

Stable on SSB, good audio on AM and SSB. Not as SSB friendly in operation as Optima or Lincoln type for freeband and 10 meter but still works fine for that.

Reactions: skip searcher
I talk to a guy on SSB several times a month base to base. He's about 25 miles away from me and I think the 955 sounds better then his 2970.

Reactions: skip searcher
The 955 is pretty much my 11 meter daily driver on my base station. It's not limited to that and just yesterday I had fun on 10 meters 29.000 MHz AM with a 3 watt carrier swinging to about 15 watts when the band was open. The signal report I got was "excellent sounding audio" from Philly to San Antone.

The main reason I run it is because of the transmitted audio quality. AM or SSB, I always get compliments. It never sounds tinny or hollow with the Turner +2 power desk mic and a little reverb. It also plays very well on AM with a heavy duty straight (4) 2sc2879 box on a 100 amp power supply ;)

Two issues I've had after a few years ownership from new are, intermittent outages to the back light LEDs and the external speaker jack failed. I replaced the jack myself.

Only gripe is that the VFO silences between rotational clicks of the channel selector and coarse adjustment knobs. Really, that is the only thing I've found that differentiates the 955 from a standard 10 meter HF transceiver.

Power wise, I would not say it does 70 watts on it's own though. More like 40 watts clean PEP when pushed. There is a difference.

I had 3 of them , all of them sounded like crap on ssb receive,, some type of agc problem,,, finally they sent me a 4th radio new in the box and I just sold it.. if you are paying anything close to $300-400 for this radio,, you might as well just get a real hf radio or get an optima mk3,, out of all the export radios I have tried the optima is the winner, have 2 of them here,,, who cares about if it does 70-80 watts or 40-50 watts.. the optima is so much better than the 955

Reactions: radioreddz
Mine came out of the box tuned to factory spec. If you're paying for a peak and tune you're getting screwed hard for a few more watts. The conversion is easy with a hot soldering iron and tweezers. You can find the conversion info online and my board was even marked with an arrow pointing to the resistor that needs to be removed.

The only issue I had was the generating a carrier on 26mhz while transmitting on ssb with the power cranked up. The funny thing is the problem will go away if you remove the lower cover. I went through the alignment and it was fine, the AM waveform looked much better afterwards too. Once corrected by a bit of soldering I think it's a good radio. A few people have reported the same issue I had and I hope stryker has corrected it by now. VFO mode is a joke though.

I had 3 of them , all of them sounded like crap on ssb receive,, some type of agc problem,,, finally they sent me a 4th radio new in the box and I just sold it.. if you are paying anything close to $300-400 for this radio,, you might as well just get a real hf radio or get an optima mk3,, out of all the export radios I have tried the optima is the winner, have 2 of them here,,, who cares about if it does 70-80 watts or 40-50 watts.. the optima is so much better than the 955

Did they fix the same radio 3x or actually send you 3 NEW radio"s I'm not seeing them sending you that many new radio's. The normal practice is to get an RM number and send your radio to the factory repair center which is Key CB. Any way I guess you got a bad one or the shop you were buying from had no clue how to set one up.

Did they fix the same radio 3x or actually send you 3 NEW radio"s I'm not seeing them sending you that many new radio's. The normal practice is to get an RM number and send your radio to the factory repair center which is Key CB. Any way I guess you got a bad one or the shop you were buying from had no clue how to set one up.

yes they were sent in to there repair center and they said "all normal" I got the radio back and same issue,,, so they sent out new radios,this went on a few times, one of them didn't even last a week, went to turn it on and complete silence, no receive at all but it would transmit,, that was the last straw,, sent that one to there repair center and they sent back another new radio ,, that one got sold without even taking it out of the box

the agc problem is a know issue with this radio and it was terrible to listen to on ssb, especially when talking local with some having strong signals and others weak signals,,, even turning the rf gain back didn't help

Last edited:
Man I didn't know the issue was that prevelant. I am happy with my optima mk3 I'll say that. It does a great job and has held up through some rough riding in the work van. I wish the magnum 257hp's I had were built like the optima. Then it would have been a great radio. Anyway. Hopefully they resolve the issue.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.