• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Survivalist need ham rig what do we need?

Survival Bill

Oct 30, 2005
Canada
www.survivalbill.com
I run survivalist site we are trying to find out some info on what kind of ham rig/setup/antennas/Freq/ setup to look for as we would like to keep in contact after any kind of major disaster happens to take out other types of communications these will just be put into storage until such time they are needed if you are interested at all in giving us some info on the subject please do...we are looking at just what would keep us in touch in North America.. so question is can we do it with a limited Freq or will we need something multi-band to do this I want a simple rig setup with dipole antennas again to keep the price down to manageable levels...

Reference (MLA Style)
"What Ham Rig for after TSHTF." Online Posting. Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:27 am. Survival Bill.
Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:55 am. < http://www.survivalbill.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1518 >.

Cool topic.....

For power, I think I'd start with a gas generator, and a good deep cycle marine battery, unless you want to go the solar route. I'd stash some gasonline, too.

For a radio, I'd look at any 100 watt mobile rig. An Icom 706mkiig, Yaesu 857D, or there are plenty of others.

For antenna, I'd have plenty of wire and a pair of dykes to make wire antennas with. I'd have a roll of cheap ladder line, with an inexpensive travel tuner from MFJ (one of the units with a built in 4:1 balun).

The wire will make you the better antenna, but for a truly break down, take anywhere, 10-80m, 6m, 2m, 220, 440 antenna, I'd buy the one from SuperAntennas. It's a lightweight aluminum, manually adjustable antenna that you can literally take anywhere. You'll need coax with this one, though.

I'd also have a few HT's...probably Kenwood TH-F6a's.

Let's see......what am I missing??

YAESU FT-897D9

That looks like what I am looking for thanks!

Have these units been out for awhile just wondering if one could be picked up second hand?

Is one band better than another like 6M band or does it just matter on conditions as to what is the Band of the day....

We are off grid already!

Yaesu 817nd. It runs on batteries and also 13.8 volt. It is only 5 watts but with the right atenna you should be fine. I would also use wire antennas, either single band or multi-band.

Oh yeah, I forgot...I'd also include some static line for suspending wire antennas.

The thing about the radios with attached battery packs...they're only 5 watts or so. I'm in survival mode, I'm not gonna be in much of a mood for QRP!!!

And it will do it all day, run it off the Batt in the truck/car, that and the Portable antenna that Mole is talking about, and you have it covered.
All Band/All Mode/plenty of power to get the job done.

My 897-D Rocks.

Jeff

You might want to check with the Canadian authorities, but I'd think that the FIRST thing you'll need, if you're using amateur radio frequencies, is an amateur radio license - emergency or not.

Hello there, I also recommend the yaesu ft-897. All the above mentioned rigs are great for field operations,i would also like to mention Icoms 703 QRP rig.
bettle wrote;
You might want to check with the Canadian authorities, but I'd think that the FIRST thing you'll need, if you're using amateur radio frequencies, is an amateur radio license - emergency or not.
You might want to check with RAC but here in the United States any licensed operator no matter what class may use any mode and any band ONLY during emergency,I believe this also applies to any non-license operators (emergency ONLY),correct me if i'm wrong.
73,Stu

Survival Bill said:
by the time we will be using them their wont be much goverment to do anything about anything....

So I take it then that you and your little group have NO intentions whatsoever of obtaining the proper liscence for these radios that you want to operate on the ham bands etc. with? Maybe you should just go with old tube type military gear that way it won't get fried in a nuclear blast. :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.