• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Survivalist need ham rig what do we need?

QRN wrote:
So I take it then that you and your little group have NO intentions whatsoever of obtaining the proper liscence for these radios that you want to operate on the ham bands etc. with? Maybe you should just go with old tube type military gear that way it won't get fried in a nuclear blast.
LMAO :LOL:

Well just don't expect What This dolt Did to work. Nuclear EMP needs a bit more than mylar covered cardbord to be rendered ineffective. For God's sake I have a 100% shielded aluminum box surrounding my dummy load and I can still hear some of the stronger stations albeit weakly.I wonder how strong a 10 megaton airburst would register. :shock:

I wish in the movie Red Dawn they would have implemented some ham radio, that movie kicked asss

Survival Bill said:
YAESU FT-897D9

That looks like what I am looking for thanks!

Have these units been out for awhile just wondering if one could be picked up second hand?

Is one band better than another like 6M band or does it just matter on conditions as to what is the Band of the day....

We are off grid already!

Hello Bill,

I have a friend with an FT-897D who is very pleased with it, after it has been back to Yaesu TWICE for re-alignment, that is.
Now it's a sweetheart of a rig.

It sits next to his iCOM IC-751A which is often still used as a reference standard for receiver testing: http://www.w8ji.com/receiver_tests.htm (notice the 751A rates HIGHER in several categories than the newer IC-7800 ...!!)
- and the FT-897D holds it's own nicely against the iCOM. Maybe 85%-90% the radio the iCOM is, but with added bands!

It was also one of the best rigs for the new 5 channel 60meter Amateur band due to it's very nice Collins filter option.

NOW, the real reason for this post...

There's one thing you will definitely want to have, AND I MEAN DEFINITELY!
One of these little jewels:
4574.jpeg

A 'Dentron JR Monitor' -Which will even tune leftover pieces of barbed wire fences after the big one hits! ;)

- You can find one here on ePay for another day or so: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5857578913&fromMakeTrack=true

It's a very effective, compact, and smooth to operate little tuner WITH a BALUN built in.

- One thing you will absolutely want / need to do is reinforce the variable capacitor's plastic knob extender shafts (just behind the faceplate) with something NON-METALLIC such as a liberal coating of DURO 5-minute epoxy, before, after, and on top of, several layers of braided deep-sea fishing line wrapped over the shaft ends and the plastic spacer, since they aren't known to take a lateral hit on a knob without snapping off which renders the unit basically useless...

...like the one on my shelf. :evil: :cry:

I'd repeat the "get a license" opinion. You have no legal way to operate the radios for testing otherwise. And even if something happens and things get bad, there would still be legally-operated ham radios doing communications work with RACES stations which are going to still be operating in many places and you may interfere with them. Do you want to interfere with what may be the last communications services doing public good while things go to hell? Study the theory and rules and regulations, take and pass the exam and you qill have much more information on how to set up a station in an emvergency and use it with some intelligence. You've already studied emergency medical topics, I'm sure. Now study emergency communications. How to build or set up a radio station. How to power it and make the power last, what antenna is best for the purpose, and more.

Every year in the U.S. there is a nationwide disaster drill in which hams set up temporary stations using emegency power and temporary antenna systems. Any licensed ham anywhere may participate in it. It goes from 24 straight hours and is called "field day." The purpose is to contact as many other ham radio stations who are doing the event. It's perfect for survival radio testing but you need a valid license to do this and a the States you need a General liscense to participate in it on the shortwave bands.

Katrina and Rita caused many hams in the affected areas to set up emegency stations and run them for extended periods. Pretty close to a survivor situation as you're gonna get and they worked

Get the license. You need knowledge to operate the radios effectively..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.