• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SWR flip flop with linear in line??

Thanks for showing us, sorry to see you had to play with the A99's tuning rings - but it looks like it came out good in the end.

I would like to believe you did all this to ease your mind and nip-it-in-the-bud, stopped and asked, got some input, before it got worse and you did the right thing. If only to clear your conscience.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Now, get back to your holiday...

Enjoy your system.

Reactions: 357magnum and CB590
Glad you got it to where you wanted it , but like was said you really didn't have to be that fussy , just to say the original SWR readings you gave almost mirror mine . I have been running my Cobra 2K , 200 Gray amp and A-99 like that over 6-7 years now w/ 1/2 watt drive and have not had a problem . PS Every time I hear touching those " Rings" it's like Nails on Chalkboard to me :LOL: Some people end up chasing the SWR for day's .I've replaced a few and never touched them .But as of late it seems they might be having quality control issues with some which leaves you no choice . jmo :)

Wierd took out meter. Left amp off but inline. Got 1.4-1.6 like normal using built in SWR feature on the President McKinley.. switched out the 24" Tandy RG58/u amp jumper.

Also noticed with the RG58/U a touch on the connections would have a little static..

Swapped in home made RG8/U white foam coax about 30-36" in length and got radio telling me 1.0 now across band.. got a 15 mile radio check.. hmmmm.. maybe coax does make a difference on SWR..

Maybe I solved the issue.. opinions?

I want to put mine in the top of a 100ft pine tree. Soon as I figure out how to get it set BEFORE it ends up that high, I’ll be calling a tree climber to put it up.

I sure ain’t climbing that high so it’ll have to set before it gets there.

Reactions: 357magnum
Follow up. Used a RG8x short jumper (like 18") and added meter at the end to check SWR again with the 3' of RG8U still between the radio and amp..

I now get a pretty solid 1.3 (on 38) -1.4 (on ch. 3) with the amp ON, instead of the 1.4-1.6 I was getting before.

Going to leave meter out of the loop as I feel in my head it will be closer to 1.2-1.3 without meter in ''loop" at all.

I hang usually on 28 AM and 38L..

Also noticed with the RG58/U a touch on the connections would have a little static.
You have a bad cable if you touch it and the static increases. You need to put new connectors on that cable and be sure to cut three to four inches off of each end to be sure the bad ground is off.

So here's channel 38 at like 1.2-1.3 using the short 18" RG8X coax for the meter from amp with a 36-37w dk with amp on with 1.5 or so watt drive.. LMR240 going out to A99 antenna.

IMG_20180905_134346135.jpg
And here's channel 1 at 1.3-1.4

IMG_20180905_134008622.jpg

Debating on leaving in line or not..

Texas Star 350HDV in bound.. (y)

Happy this went down from the 1.6..

I always leave an SWR / power meter inline between the amp and antenna. Just in case something were to happen to the antenna or coax, it would be good to know to keep from killing the amp. I always key the radio with the amp off first to check then with the amp on I keep an eye on it while I am talking. I look for changes in SWR and power to make sure all is normal. Every time I get a new amp I check the SWR between the radio and amp. Sometimes the amp inputs need a little work. Here is a link to the work I did on my 350.
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/texas-star-dx-350-hdv-input-swr.230089/

Reactions: 357magnum and CB590
I always leave an SWR / power meter inline between the amp and antenna. Just in case something were to happen to the antenna or coax, it would be good to know to keep from killing the amp. I always key the radio with the amp off first to check then with the amp on I keep an eye on it while I am talking. I look for changes in SWR and power to make sure all is normal. Every time I get a new amp I check the SWR between the radio and amp. Sometimes the amp inputs need a little work. Here is a link to the work I did on my 350.
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/texas-star-dx-350-hdv-input-swr.230089/

Hopefully the input is good (though the RM 203 was good to at 1-1). It's the after the amp I worry about as well..The RM is 1.2-1.3 right now after.. I'm hoping the TS is a little more tuned on the way out (or cleaner) as well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.