• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

SX super cap or battery.

D. koenig

Nov 28, 2021
Hi, super caps are a whole new thing to me. Just recently had suggested to me to use one because I am drawing to much juice from the wall and not reaching the full potential from my amp. But man that's another 500+ dollars and I dont have that right now. Couldn't I use a really good new car battery? Thanks for the help.

Hi, super caps are a whole new thing to me. Just recently had suggested to me to use one because I am drawing to much juice from the wall and not reaching the full potential from my amp. But man that's another 500+ dollars and I dont have that right now. Couldn't I use a really good new car battery? Thanks for the help.
Not sure, you said from the wall.
Large caps are used on DC so that is a bit confusing.
Are you running a mobile set up on a power supply?
Tell us what your set up is, and why you think you need more juice.
Big caps are expensive and offer little to RF applications.

Jeff

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I only have a 100 amp breaker. Off same outlet running a galaxy 98 an 8 pill and a 150 amp power supply and also a 75 amp power supply. The house light dim and dried running the 8 pill and supply ti a different part of the house. Same thing. Guy I bought the amp and supply setup from said get a cap.

Stiffening caps have been used in the car audio world for quite some time. There are benefits but not in the rf world. They provide during a surge or burp. If going that route, you're better going with a car audio battery as it stores much more than a cap ever could.... but indoors that opens a whole new can of worms

We called the stiffening cap more of a hoax than benefit. Like anything else, if the sales pitch is good and stretched the truth compared to reality...... You can sell the snake oil!

The cap will cover up the problem of not enough power. It will work right up to the point that something fails on the supply side, and in fact the cap will cause the weakest link to fail sooner. The cap will allow the supply to run at max output for longer because the supply now has to charge the cap back up when you unkey. In the car audio world, a big capacitor will cause the alternator to fail sooner. The solution is always a bigger alternator to begin with.

Hopefully the weakest link is not the power wire to the breaker box, or the breaker box itself. Hopefully the breaker trips before the house burns down. Seriously.

The best possible scenario would be to run a dedicated circuit from the breaker box at 230v which will reduce the amperage needed. Which is your main limitation if your box is 100A. What power supply are you using and can it be configured for 230v? What brand amplifier, and how much power out does it develop?

Reactions: NZ8N
The cap will cover up the problem of not enough power. It will work right up to the point that something fails on the supply side, and in fact the cap will cause the weakest link to fail sooner. The cap will allow the supply to run at max output for longer because the supply now has to charge the cap back up when you unkey. In the car audio world, a big capacitor will cause the alternator to fail sooner. The solution is always a bigger alternator to begin with.

Hopefully the weakest link is not the power wire to the breaker box, or the breaker box itself. Hopefully the breaker trips before the house burns down. Seriously.

The best possible scenario would be to run a dedicated circuit from the breaker box at 230v which will reduce the amperage needed. Which is your main limitation if your box is 100A. What power supply are you using and can it be configured for 230v? What brand amplifier, and how much power out does it develop?
The amp is 14.5 volt fatboy and 8 pill fatboy. Supposed to do around 1600 watts peak. Only getting near 1300 peak. Cant put more into the amp cause the lights in the house will dim even more

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
The amp is 14.5 volt fatboy and 8 pill fatboy. Supposed to do around 1600 watts peak. Only getting near 1300 peak. Cant put more into the amp cause the lights in the house will dim even more

You are trying to pull far too much current from the AC outlet and the primary voltage is dropping too much. Also I highly doubt that power supply is regulated and is likely dropping the output voltage too much as well. FWIW complaining about getting 1300 watts instead of 1600 watts is meaningless. The difference will NEVER be noticed on the other end.

Agree, and if you really want a solid kw+ amp forget 12 volt transistors and think about finding a tube.
I know you got money in this set-up but it's going to cost more to get it right.
You may have a 100 main breaker in the panel, but the outlet you are pulling from is most likely 15 amp.
If the lights dim the whole circuit is pulling down, and you need to pull a dedicated run for just your radio stuff.

CB
Constantly Buying

Jeff

If the lights dim when you key the mike, there's just not enough copper between you and the breaker box. I'll assume for the moment that the building has a sufficient-size service feeding the breaker box.

A capacitor is often compared to a battery. Think of it as a battery that runs down in a fraction of a second, and recharges as quickly.

Consider also that dimming lights also suggest that some part of the electrical system that feeds the amplifier's wall outlet may be overheating.

Bad juju.

Either (or both) of two things will fix the 'lights dimming' voltage drop. A shorter run of wire to the breaker box, or bigger wire. A separate 120-Volt circuit built to deliver 20 Amps safely is your best bet if a 240-Volt outlet isn't possible.

These days, not every amplifier has a 240-Volt option.

Reactions: NZ8N

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.