• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TEXAS STAR DX 500 won't power up

long night

Jan 8, 2020
Hi to all. I have ta texas star dx 500 that worked fine until recently. I did not push it hard and only drove it with 1 watt. It worked fine and then the last time I turned it on it would no longer power up to transmit. The control lights work, but that is all. Any ideas why it would just quit. I opened it up and no sign of any burnt components. I need to know what to check and how to check it out.
Thank you, Long Night

Keying transistor. It's just to the rear of the relay. Found that a low carrier can cause it to overheat and fail. Learned to put a 10uf capacitor in parallel from collector to emitter on the replacement transistor. This extends the life of the replacement part. Type number is 2N2907A or PN2907. Literally hundreds of other types will also work, but that's the most-generic of all the numbers that will.

Keying transistor. It's just to the rear of the relay. Found that a low carrier can cause it to overheat and fail. Learned to put a 10uf capacitor in parallel from collector to emitter on the replacement transistor. This extends the life of the replacement part. Type number is 2N2907A or PN2907. Literally hundreds of other types will also work, but that's the most-generic of all the numbers that will.

Thank you sir for the explanation and help telling me where the transistor is located and how to extend the life of the transistor. I am not very knowledgeable about this amp so you are quite helpful. When you say in parallel would that be attaching on leg of the 10 uf cap to the collector and one leg to the emitter?
Thanks again sir.

When you say in parallel would that be attaching on leg of the 10 uf cap to the collector and one leg to the emitter?
Thanks again sir.

yep, as such.....

Screenshot 2021-09-23 044538.png

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated