• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

The most valuable commodity in the world?

This addition is an afterthought on my part.
Just in case some participants have a wildy differing opinion of what a 'commodity' is.

The following from some place on the internet:

DICTIONARY
commodity
Definition
com·mod·i·ty[ k? módd?tee ]com·mod·i·ties Plural

COMMODITY

1. traded item: an item that is bought and sold, especially an unprocessed material
2. useful thing: something that people value or find useful

Good manners
Common Sense

Negative on the water.
Water isn't a commodity (can't be traded but it can be sold).

Water can be made pure by de-ionizing it with electricity and made pure once again when re-combined with a spark.
Or made pure by distilling it too.

Oil is power. Every nation in the world is being held in check by those who control and sell it. Even the US is hooked and cannot get away from the addiction . . .

Reactions: 1 person
Negative on the water.

Water can be made pure by de-ionizing it with electricity and made pure once again when re-combined with a spark.

Oil is power. Every nation in the world is being held in check by those who control and sell it. Even the US is hooked and cannot get away from the addiction . . .

If you have no water and have no money, you'd be surprised what you'd trade for it. It then becomes a commodity, yes?

Negative on the water.

i am thinking along the same lines as you robb, Hence, lithium for battery making.

Negative on the water.

Semantics. Name something on the commodities list that isn't "traded" for dollars.

Commodities are simply products, usually agricultural but not necessarily, that are sold under contract in advance of them being actually available. These contracts are called futures. Most metals are "traded" on the commodities market as well. A farmer may sell his soy bean crop to a buyer for an agreed upon price before it is even harvested. This guarantees both the buyer and seller a known price regardless of what happens to the spot price between the agreement to purchase and the delivery of that product. Water futures are bought and sold all the time. ask the state of California how much water they buy from other states as well as Canada.

Water: The Ultimate Commodity

Water: A Precious Commodity - Forbes

Water is the new gold, a big commodity bet - MarketWatch

@captain,

you raise some very good points, and being that i have worked in agriculture nearly all my life i see the value of water, however water is not yet traded on any exchange

Negative on the water.

if there was no water there would not be anyone around to do any of the things you mentioned . water can be a gas , a liquid or a solid . oil only seems to be more valuable because water is so plentiful in most places . i'm sure someone with no water source would gladly trade a 55 gallon drum of oil for 5 gallons of water . water is traded everyday for money be it at the grocery store or a municipal service or the equipment and energy to pump it from underground or purify it from above ground sources .

water gives life as we currently know it .
oil is simply a tool that we will someday deplete

depending on where someone lives it could also be the most under appreciated commodity too .

Last edited by a moderator:
if there was no water there would not be anyone around to do any of the things you mentioned . water can be a gas , a liquid or a solid . oil only seems to be more valuable because water is so plentiful in most places . i'm sure someone with no water source would gladly trade a 55 gallon drum of oil for 5 gallons of water . water is traded everyday for money be it at the grocery store or a municipal service or the equipment and power to pump it from underground or purify it from above ground sources .

water gives life as we currently know it .
oil is simply a tool that we will someday deplete

depending on where someone lives it could also be the most under appreciated commodity too .
If the supply of oil were to stop overnight, there would a worldwide panic and then anarchy. Guaranteed. Death and murder would be rampant. Civilization as we now know it - would change completely overnight. You can collect water or drill for a well. But all the drilling for oil has been done.

Women are the most valued commodity in the world. Sadly without them the human race would cease to exist in a very short time.......and they are expensive!

close,.... real close, but, didn't he say it was a ONE word answer?

sooooooo, that one word would be?:blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.