1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

The Stupidest Idea Ever

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by TheRealPorkchop, May 10, 2019.

1. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

About a week ago I was out in my shop working on some radios for a few customers. In my shop I have a sleeper sofa, I got a bit tired and flopped down on it for a short nap (old people do this). I had this crazy dream that I had a Stryker 955 and on this 955 it had an amp. When I woke up, I thought “that is an awesome idea” and I went to the display case and yanked out a brand new 955.

In my stock of miscellaneous parts and junk, I happened to have the bottom amp from one of Rangers radios, the 4 “pill” type. So I commenced to remove the necessary parts from the Stryker and try to get this amp up and going.

Now, I have to give a huge thanks to Mark19960 for helping me with this project. Some of the technical stuff far as tuning and other stuff was honestly out of my realm. So after many hours of texting and phone conversations, thank you Mark for your assistance. Also thanks goes out to one other person that wishes to remain anonymous but you know who you are, thank you both.

After this time and a lot of tinkering and fiddling, over 600w peak is easily achievable with clean results. A little playing with an NPC got me 700w peak and around 300w average. No heat. There’s no reason to flip the faceplate and put it on top like it’s a 70’s pickup with a camper shell in the back. And mounting brackets are cheap and plentiful...

With all that said, let me say this : this is the stupidest ass idea I’ve ever had and also the stupidest idea anyone else could come up with. It’s not sensible. It also doesn’t take a genius to figure out the cost is astronomical and you’d be better off with an external amp that was meant for such dumbness.

Was it fun? Yes, oh yes. Does it look cool? It does to me. Will I talk on it? Yes sir, until it goes BANG and it will eventually go BANG, you can count on it. This is nothing but a ticking time bomb, regardless of who attempts such foolery, Mark has assured me that I’ll get fireworks... wonder how big they’ll be? I’ll let you know.

No videos will be posted. It’s pretty straightforward if you remove it from one radio as to how to install it on another. I can post pics of it hooked up, just for proof that it’s not just sitting up there. But there’s really no point, this is dumb. So now I’m off to see how long it takes to get to the center of a bipolar transistor - pop.

50433277-454B-410E-BC6D-D41A60EA24DC.jpeg 3D605306-DC1C-48C0-87BD-BEE6BD6FDAF2.jpeg

#1 TheRealPorkchop, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019

2. S&W357

S&W357 Old Codger Supporting Member

My main radio-man in action! TRPC gettin’ it done once again! :eek:

TheRealPorkchop and 357magnum like this.
  3. TheRealPorkchop

I just like to kill time sometimes, this was a time killer. It was fun though, it’s strong but it’s not gonna hold up.

rabbiporkchop likes this.
  4. TheRealPorkchop

I ran across this and it made me think of this project, it was kinda like this for a day or so.

645A928D-DAF6-4744-B890-B91F90E89D4E.gif

Rwb, NZ8N, 999 and 3 others like this.
  5. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

I dub thee screwer of driver, duck of mud, and breaker of broke.
    Arise!!!
    [​IMG]

LC

Rwb, NZ8N, 999 and 6 others like this.
  6. OldTech03

OldTech03 Sr. Member

???????????????????????????????

Rwb and TheRealPorkchop like this.
  7. Dmans

Dmans Well-Known Member

Now hold on a minute..........lets back up a bit
    I think that is quite a brilliant idea!!(y)

73's
    David

Rwb, NZ8N, TheRealPorkchop and 3 others like this.
  8. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

I like that custom "Porkchop" digital read out the bestest

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Can't wait to see the PorkChopped 955 on eBay. Gonna get me one......

10. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I thought the sleeper sofa was the first thing you should acquire even before the Oscilloscope.

Rwb, NZ8N, TheRealPorkchop and 2 others like this.
  11. S&W357

S&W357 Old Codger Supporting Member

I'll be listening for you on the channel six Super Bowl. :LOL: Looks good. For some reason I even like the PURPLE. o_O

12. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I think it should be named. "The Pork Chopper" would be apropos.

Rwb, NZ8N, S&W357 and 2 others like this.
  13. TheRealPorkchop

I needed a sofa (couch) in my shop, just so happened one that makes out to a bed came along. I didn’t fold out the bed, should’ve clarified that I guess but I have previously.

I doubt it’ll hit eBay. I couldn’t sell this thing to somebody with good faith, I know they’ll have problems with it and I’d feel like an ass. It’ll be my personal toy and I’ll piddle with it until it explodes. I am curious to see how it sounds and how it performs though, it might surprise me.

I stopped it on purple when I ran through the colors, I felt it was appropriate for such a project.

Rwb, NZ8N and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  14. TheRealPorkchop

tenor.gif

Coming soon... Refrigerated 955

It's only just begun...

Rwb, NZ8N and 999 like this.
  15. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

So you are gonna chill pimp it on da bowl

TheRealPorkchop likes this.