• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking End Fed

I've had good luck with my 10-20-40 MKII end fed from LNR Precision. If I were getting a new one, it would be from HyEndFed in the Netherlands at https://hyendcompany.nl/
Click the US flag for English. Theirs appear to be very high quality. Ron will promptly answer all your Emails.

I just ordered a MFJ-1836 cobweb antenna to replace my endfed.

Reactions: fogdog
This looks exactly like what I have and it works pretty well. My antenna has been up since 2013 and have not had an issue with it at all. It will handle 1500 watts and that's good for your incoming big tube amp you need to stay warm with.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HF-End-Fed...=item3d79093e30:g:NL8AAOSw1utao97n:rk:43:pf:0

I've had good luck with the 10m center fed 1/2 wave with 1.1 balun up in the trees about 20 feet in the inverted v, and it worked pretty good. I think in my location a single wire works best and will be the easiest for this old boy to do.
I'm going to connect the Imax 2000 to the 7300 until I decide what I'm going to get or make, and which way I want to orientate it. Nothing but time up here in the mountains in the winter.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I have to agree here, the fan dipole I built works great. I did try an End Fed and while yes it did work it radiated into just about everything. I took it down and threw it away.
Ive done that. I used to turn the dinning room Hitches lights
Fan dipole good choice but if you favor one band build a Cage dipole for it & enjoy the
wide bandwidth it offers & put up a multi bander for the others
That's a good idea. That cage dipole looks like a challenging build. The only test equipment I have is a swr meter and multi meter. No analyzer here.
Like to keep it simple and strong also. We have severe weather up here and not much can stand up to tree branches coming down from 50ft +.
In the past 2 years I've lost 2 dipole's, but my vertical remains intact.

Reactions: Oatmeal
End fed antennas are very popular these days. They really suck but as long as you don't campare it to a good antenna you'll never know the difference.

I wouldn't waste time on a cage dipole. The only band you might need one on is 75/80m. Unless you use the extra or cw portion of the band you won't need it. A simple dipole will cover the general portion of 75. The tuner in the rig will let you cover the rest.

Un-Un was $36 on eb. Wire goes up from this 10' feedpoint up to about 27' about 25' away to the left up a tree, then makes a left for another 9-10'. to the right is about 16' of counterpoise wire..

IMG_20180715_182956745.jpg

I have talked up and down E coast and out to IL on regular basis from 20-80m bands. Furthest contact so far was West Coast on a 40m 'net'. W7AJP in Oregon..

On occasion I can hear the HI beacon in the early morning hours and have heard Japan or China stations.

I like my end fed.. easy to hide up here in HOA type mobile home park..

Reactions: Tallman
End fed antennas are very popular these days. They really suck but as long as you don't campare it to a good antenna you'll never know the difference..
I have to agree on this, I wanted an antenna I could get on the air quickly and the one I bought I am happy with. I have joked with other users about talking and getting into my Ice maker. One said has his worked all Toasters. But for straight forward simplicity and ease of use and portability they work fine.
I got into one "Net" up in Oregon and the moderator was tickled that I was talking to him with only a 100 watt radio. He chided the others in his group saying,"See guys I told you that it is not all about watts and getting good QSO's."

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.