• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tip over tower - wooden homebrew

...the little woman vetoed the red and white striped scheme. So I'll have to find some paint that let's it blend into the rest of the place . . . :confused:

Bottom 2' grass green, the next 4' fence brown, then 24' of sky blue & topping off the remaining 6', cloud gray-white. :tongue:

You know some folks may point fingers at this low buck stuff but I dont. I LOVE IT. This is what drove the first hot rodders. guys taking a rear from this and getting it to fit into that or taking a blower from a diesel bus engine and sticking it on a gas v8... repurposing stuff like weed wacker handles, door hinges, lumber from home depot into working towers and tilts is freaking awesome. THIS is the real side of cb and ham radio. Guys making stuff work when they need it how they need it.
Kudos!

On a side note I wish my rf hobbies were this simple. Components like these are awesome at 1 kilowatt etc but when you plan for multiples of that stuff just gets so much more complicated. fun but complicated.
Who knows maybe a Homebrew 5/8 wave antenna is in my future for local talking... I dunno....

Still working on the fixing up another homebrew 5/8 to test on that tower against my Qv4k. Everytime I try to do a little something my work schedule and other priority obligtions go haywire. I have engineered some GP radials for it, purchased materials to spin a decent matching coil, designed a means of putting them together on the vertcal radial and just need to get them all into a single unit, set my match, and plod ahead with the testing. All this is from hardware store and recycle materials.
I am anxious to utilize this tower in one of the ways I put it together for: easy access for putting test antennas up and down to try them in real time.

Yep, Linearone, this is what makes it all tick tock for my clock. On another note, my wife thinks my clock is the Coo-Coo variety.

I wholeheartedly agree

and thanks for sharing the projects, I enjoy making something from nothing (or spare parts and scrap material) laying around. :)

old cb stuff from the 70's still laying around works good for the projects.

I like it, but I would have built it out of steel... However, the wood definately has it's benefits and downsides as some have pointed out, no mast interaction, but no ground... Could easily ground it. Just ground the shield of your coax to a grounding rod in the ground. Done.

I like it, but I would have built it out of steel... However, the wood definately has it's benefits and downsides as some have pointed out, no mast interaction, but no ground... Could easily ground it. Just ground the shield of your coax to a grounding rod in the ground. Done.

If you build one out of steel, post pics!

That's one thing I was curious about...if a similar design to this was used, except made out of square tube or round tube steel.

Photos of the lift mechanism

Photos:

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 063.jpg
    063.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 218
We tend to have wet ground softening winters here, so I added some support for the tower:

4173.jpg
4172.jpg

4174.jpg
4175.jpg

4176a.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.