• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Traffic light led noise and such

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Anyone know what frequency street lamps leds and traffic lights emit? I’ve gotta find a way to block those things out of my receive.

I usually have a noise floor of s5 at my station, one block away has the business along the highway. One day their junk must have broke, because my noise floor went to zero. I had to check my antenna to make sure it didn't fall down. Haha!

The noise reduction in the newer radios makes a huge difference.

Reactions: Woody-202
It's unavoidable, they're everywhere. No matter if in the big rig or 4-wheeler, once I hit town the noise is up and down, I even know where it'll get worse through certain areas.

What surprised me was the distance a single LED light bulb can throw its inteference. Every light bulb in our farm house is an LED. I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs some time ago to reduce our electric bill. Keeping the lights in my shack/shop off when I'm on the radio knocked the receive noise way down. But I noticed that when I'm on the air at night, my receive noise went from zero to 1-2 S-units.
I asked my wife to turn off the main breaker for the house, and the S-meter returned to zero. To make a long story short, it turned out that our front porch lights were generating the noise. Every bulb in the house is a 9 watt LEDer, EXCEPT the front porch lights which are 20 watters. I changed them out to a different brand and problem solved. My antenna is a good 70 meters from the house so the 4 bulbs on the front porch were generating a lot of noise. I'm glad we don't have any close neighbors because if we did I'm certain their lights would interfere with my receive too. Sometimes new technology is a PITA.

- J.J. 399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.