• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201 40yr/100 Mile Restoration Done Right

What is this coax doing on the vox pot?
I think someone was desperate to reduce the AC hum on the mike audio. Shielding the output lug's wire on the mike gain control sounds logical, but won't help.

Seems to me I posted the procedure with pics to fix this. The heater for this tube is grounded to the socket's saddle ring. This causes a tiny 60-Hz voltage drop that is added to the mike audio feeding into this tube.

Pretty sure pin 5 of V601 is 6.3 VAC, and pin 4 is ground. We gently unsolder pin 4, and re-route the ground wire that passes through the lug's eye. Now that the lug for pin 4 is isolated, a wire is soldered to it. A plastic sleeve over the lug may or may not seem wise to make sure it's insulated from touching any nearby grounded metal. The other end of the wire is grounded at the rear of the chassis where the power transformer's heater-winding has one wire grounded.

This eliminates the 60 Hz current flow through the rivets holding the socket for V601, and prevents it from being amplified by the mike amp.

Somewhere in this forum I think there is a post for this with pics.

Thank you for the reply. I think you are right on the $. I will search for the procedure with pics to fix that issue. Thank you very much for taking the time.

73 back to ya,

b~

I need a picture of the board in the center of a hand wired Tram D201. From the top of the unit. I replacing the caps 4 caps and i cant make out the +/- on the caps. thank you in advance!

b~

This is how I installed the caps so far. Please tell where I need to change the polarity. Much obliged.

b~

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpeg
    IMG_4358.jpeg
    660 KB · Views: 16
Here is a diagram from the circuit board D201manual. The board is the same as the vox radio's board, except the vox board used round sockets and pins and the later D201 and D201A used square ones. The diagram clearly shows the orientation of the caps.

Attachments

• Tram D201 BM board.png
    Tram D201 BM board.png
    959 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: bucketofguts
Anybody have a PW15 W 2.7K
Here is a diagram from the circuit board D201manual. The board is the same as the vox radio's board, except the vox board used round sockets and pins and the later D201 and D201A used square ones. The diagram clearly shows the orientation of the
Here is a diagram from the circuit board D201manual. The board is the same as the vox radio's board, except the vox board used round sockets and pins and the later D201 and D201A used square ones. The diagram clearly shows the orientation of the caps.

Anybody have a PW15 W 2.7K
Thank you! Yes it does make it quite clear. Thank you for taking the time.

Reactions: tramd
Here we go again. Is this Hitachi Silicon Power Transistor?, missing a leg. If so where does it go? Thank you in advance,

Attachments

• IMG_4366.jpeg
    IMG_4366.jpeg
    820.4 KB · Views: 14
Here we go again. Is this Hitachi Silicon Power Transistor?, missing a leg. If so where does it go? Thank you in advance,
The leg is missing because it's not needed. The leg and the metal tab of the transistor are connected, so there is no need for the leg. This is used as the regulator for the 14 vdc circuits. If you measure about 14.2 vdc on the output of that part which is the emitter, it is okay. The emitter is the right-hand side leg. The center leg is the base and should be about 14.7 vdc. The left-hand side is the collector and is the input at about 25 vdc.

Last edited:
Broke a diode. Says GT005 I think. What do I need to order. Center of the pic. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    772.8 KB · Views: 14

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.