• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram D201 40yr/100 Mile Restoration Done Right

Reminds me of the 9th (or so) edition of a book I used to depend on. "How to keep your Volkswagen alive. A guide to the compleat idiot". Drove air-cooleds for decades, and that book would lead you by the hand, down to the list of tools a task would require. It did not have a procedure for replacing the ball joints in the front suspension. Years after the original author had died, the publisher continued to print updated editions. Eventually they found someone willing to write this up and it was included in the last copy of this book that I bought. Sure enough, it got me through the process for a 1977 beetle my stepson drove in high school so my wife could drive it to work. At the end of the section it said:

"Now, don't you wish you had spent the same amount of time collecting aluminum cans, sold them for scrap and used the money to pay someone to do this task for you?"

I'll guess by now you'll understand why Greg Barkett won't perform this repair any more. Told me a few years back he was done with the "all day" jobs.

Sure don't blame him.

Congrats on sticking with it! Looks good.

Reminds me of the 9th (or so) edition of a book I used to depend on. "How to keep your Volkswagen alive. A guide to the compleat idiot". Drove air-cooleds for decades, and that book would lead you by the hand, down to the list of tools a task would require. It did not have a procedure for replacing the ball joints in the front suspension. Years after the original author had died, the publisher continued to print updated editions. Eventually they found someone willing to write this up and it was included in the last copy of this book that I bought. Sure enough, it got me through the process for a 1977 beetle my stepson drove in high school so my wife could drive it to work. At the end of the section it said:

"Now, don't you wish you had spent the same amount of time collecting aluminum cans, sold them for scrap and used the money to pay someone to do this task for you?"

I'll guess by now you'll understand why Greg Barkett won't perform this repair any more. Told me a few years back he was done with the "all day" jobs.

Sure don't blame him.

Congrats on sticking with it! Looks good.

Pm me your physical address please. I am pretty sure I am going to to have to pay your rate to get mine "a going" unless have an epiphany. Thank you for getting back. That really means a lot.Thinking about the last air-cooled Porsche 911 to restore. Is there a book?

Cutting to the chase, What to check meter not working. What to check no amber neon l/u SB. Hard to get a good pic. If someone sees something ass backwards please speak up. I thank you!

What to check meter not working
As in, stays at zero with power on or off?

Or as in pegs one way and won't zero?

More than one way for the meter to 'not work'.

As for the "SSB" lamp, turn off the power and test for continuity to ground on the blue wire when either sideband is selected. Should have an open circuit in AM.

If that's okay, check for 400 Volts DC or so on the other wire.

Found a solder leg I forgot on a resistor going to the 12AX7A, V402 today looking for R324 and a 220k resistor chasing a white wire w/yellow stripe. Is this the right place? I replaced the that resistor with a three watt 220k. Radio still just a cool smelling lamp. I dreamed about VWs" last night. I could smell that bug"s interior as we sang 'Dead Skunk in the middle of the road" with my aunt back in 1973. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_4520.jpeg
    IMG_4520.jpeg
    767.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4519.jpeg
    IMG_4519.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, that's the resistor. Any chance the neon lamp in the fixture is no good?

It was buggy when the unit was up and running. Never tested a neon bulb. I have put something in wrong / backwards or a bad component. I am still going. Still have 3 good fuses I put in when i started the project. Thank you for your support!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.