• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS DX 350 HDV enroute.. couple questions

Are you gauging these results thru the antenna or thru a dummy load?
I'm guessing antenna - which isn't the proper gauge.
Do you plan to get a dummy load?

No dummy load here. No mony either. With 1-1 without amp on I can't be that far off. And I'm getting a flat 1.2 on the channels I use with amp on..

The dial a watt knob only works when the green button is pushed. I don't use it on mine. On my 350 a 4w dead key is 200w on the amp. I run mine at 3w which gives about 150w out and swing from there. I use it mostly on side band so I am not too worried about the high dead key.

So you run a 3w AM deadkey into your 350?? And your amp when running is giving you 150w dk when DAW is off??

Don't you think that is high? Or do you just not run AM that often??

I know you said you run mainly SSB so obviously your not at 100 percent modulation when you key up..

Just clarifying.

So you run a 3w AM deadkey into your 350?? And your amp when running is giving you 150w dk when DAW is off??

Don't you think that is high? Or do you just not run AM that often??

I know you said you run mainly SSB so obviously your not at 100 percent modulation when you key up..

Just clarifying.
The Madison I use had a 3w dead key and upper channels when I got it. I am not sure where the modulation is set but it's probably not 100%. I get good reports on AM and SSB. I have a Sonar 2340 and a tube amp that I use for AM so I don't use the Madison and 350 on AM enough to get the heat sink hot on the 350.

The Madison I use had a 3w dead key and upper channels when I got it. I am not sure where the modulation is set but it's probably not 100%. I get good reports on AM and SSB. I have a Sonar 2340 and a tube amp that I use for AM so I don't use the Madison and 350 on AM enough to get the heat sink hot on the 350.

I don't do but spontaneous TX on channel 28.. the rest is 38LSB....

Hmm. Good to know..

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Just something I noticed - you said your SWR meter only goes to 100W - is it only rated for 100W? In that case do not use it for anything other than setting your carrier. If you leave that inline and keep talking you're eventually going to run into problems.

Also - I never use any dial-a-watt or low/med modes on amps - set it wide open and control the output with the radio, best way to go.

Just something I noticed - you said your SWR meter only goes to 100W - is it only rated for 100W? In that case do not use it for anything other than setting your carrier. If you leave that inline and keep talking you're eventually going to run into problems.

Also - I never use any dial-a-watt or low/med modes on amps - set it wide open and control the output with the radio, best way to go.

I used it set my carrier and check my dk swr.. didn't know inline would be a problem other than maybe blowing the swr/power meter..

Resoning why??

Also I will undo till new meter gets in tommorow..

I used it set my carrier and check my dk swr.. didn't know inline would be a problem other than maybe blowing the swr/power meter..

Resoning why??

Also I will undo till new meter gets in tommorow..

It's unlikely to happen, but components can overheat and fail when too much wattage is applied if they aren't designed for it - in which case your SWR would skyrocket which could cause issues in your amp. Same thing happens when people try to run 500 watts through an antenna only designed for 100w.

Same reason power cables are different gauges - more power, bigger cable. I have had SWR meters fail so better safe than sorry.

In few words..

Diodes have Peak Inverse Voltage rating [PIV]

Too much power - either reflected or forward - can damage and render the diodes useless, as well as the meter and calibrate pot - too much power can blow the pot and or the meter - both if you just sit there and watch it happen.

It may be cheap but I've been there and done that - still febreezing the carpet where the thing landed once I found out what went wrong...did it to an underrated dummy load - hence the stench and burn in the basement carpet...

As noted midway thru this.. my 1.5w dk on AM is giving me over 100w dk with amp on. Also less than 1.5w dk on AM apparently doesn't hold the SSB relay open consistently unless I'm keeping constant loud audio flowing.. so at a better 1w am dk my SSB isn't kicking it.. hence daw for AM and wide open for SSB.

Testing and setup:

With 3/4w dk I get 80w dk with switch out. 40w dk with dial a watt maxed. 4 on meter with switch out.

With 1w dk I get just about 100w dk with switch out and 50w dk with dial a watt maxed. 4 1/2 on meter with switch out.

With 1.5w dk I get 100w+ dk with switch out. And 70w with dial a watt maxed. 5 on meter with switch out.

With 1.75w dk I get 100w+ dk with switch out. And 95-100w dk with dial a watt. 6 on meter with switch out.

The TS meter swings forward when modulating in all cases.

For AM use I'm going to run 1.5w and make 70w with dial a watt maxed.. which with math should be like 220w or so I guess..

On sideband I need set my dk to 1.5w in order to get the TS relay to really stay engaged.. And not run dial a watt at all. I noticed anything less and it would drop me out.. and yes I used the SSB switch on the back..

I tested with a driver far away and he said I sounded good, no clipping..

Opinions on my AM and SSB setting choices??

Now I am reading around not to run the variable as it will burn a notch if I push then 2-2.5w into it.. I don't plan on moving it.

Reading this above post from earlier in this thread. Does anyone think my wide open is putting out to high of a DK with amp on??

I see the 3/4 equals 80w
The 1w equals 100w
The 1.5w equals 100+

I read 60-80-100w dk is ok for this amp. Depends on where you read..

Again my concern is when running SSB I hate having to yell to get the unit to stay locked in. If I crank up the radio to like 2-3w the SSB stays latched open with normal voice and less hollering..

(Other option is adjust the mod pot inside to be better or just grab a power mic and then I could back down the input dk to 1-1.5w and SSB would stay more 'latched'.)

Hence me running the DAW for AM and not when doing SSB.. I get good audio reports when doing 2.5w as well..

Again waiting on the better new meter to get me dialed in hopefully..

Thoughts??

Last edited:
Great.. new meter is screwed from the gate.. SWR set won't set even on stock radio without amp inline..

IMG_20180912_130053778.jpg

When I switch to swr it says 5+.. radio still says 1:1 with built in meter direct.. I get flat also on the Astatic..

With amp in line. I can set, but it says 5+ also SWR with 60-80w applied per other meter, and says my dk is just like 45w and very little swing when modulating..

Why do I get a defective one.. :(

Now I am reading around not to run the variable as it will burn a notch if I push then 2-2.5w into it.. I don't plan on moving it.

Reading this above post from earlier in this thread. Does anyone think my wide open is putting out to high of a DK with amp on??

I see the 3/4 equals 80w
The 1w equals 100w
The 1.5w equals 100+

I read 60-80-100w dk is ok for this amp. Depends on where you read..

Again my concern is when running SSB I hate having to yell to get the unit to stay locked in. If I crank up the radio to like 2-3w the SSB stays latched open with normal voice and less hollering..

(Other option is adjust the mod pot inside to be better or just grab a power mic and then I could back down the input dk to 1-1.5w and SSB would stay more 'latched'.)

Hence me running the DAW for AM and not when doing SSB.. I get good audio reports when doing 2.5w as well..

Again waiting on the better new meter to get me dialed in hopefully..

Thoughts??
THIS is why you need a dummy load to adjust power; otherwise you are just pi$$ing in the wind.
FWIW, a 2 pill 2879 amp should have no more than 55-60w deadkey, since that would be 1/4 of its peak rated output for the 2879 devices.
Guessing isn't going to get it.

THIS is why you need a dummy load to adjust power; otherwise you are just pi$$ing in the wind.
FWIW, a 2 pill 2879 amp should have no more than 55-60w deadkey, since that would be 1/4 of its peak rated output for the 2879 devices.
Guessing isn't going to get it.

So until I get a dummy load in hand. Should I just set the DAW to be 55-60w for AM based on my cheap Astatic meter?? At least then I know I won't burn it up..

So until I get a dummy load in hand. Should I just set the DAW to be 55-60w for AM based on my cheap Astatic meter?? At least then I know I won't burn it up..
You aren't close to burning it up. There is a difference between the way an amp should be run and the way they are used in general

Are you a Ham? Then; I am confused. Why would you want or need to run an amp on CB band in the first place? Do you have the best antenna that you can afford? IMO - it is the best antennas that produce the most gain that is key for good performance, since this gain is responsible for ERP ('effective radiated power'). This is why I don't use amps on CB, even though I have several. Antenna gain is legal and it is most effective to multiply available radio power; sometimes more effective than using some crummy antenna and an amp. Sorry for the questions, since you use a ham callsign as your forum name.

Having said that, a dummy load is a piece of equipment that no Ham would want be without if he were to use an amp. A reliably accurate watt meter would also be just as important.

OK; so you are going to use it on SSB on CB. Running an amp means that you are responsible for spectral purity. IOW, if you station throws off spurious emission (off freq harmonics contributing to bandwidth pollution), you are held to a higher standard than a CB operator w/o a Ham license, since you signed an agreement with the FCC after you passed your tech test.

So you can see why I'm asking all of these questions. A Ham runs an amp knowing what the input power requirements are, what the operating voltage and amperage will be. To do this, he will have to look at the published specs for the amp and have/use the appropriate test equipment.

Reactions: dave457
Sounds to me that there is an antenna issue ..... VSWR issue anyways ....
A 3 ~ 4 watt dead key from the radio should produce about 70 ~ 75 watts dead key output on the TS 350V amplifier ( give or take some) .....And peak at about 275 ~ 300 watts ..... no dial a watt used .....
I have operated and serviced many of the Texas Star 350V amplifiers .....
I do currently have two of these on my bench, newer than two years old, that I have the Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors installed into ..... and they do perform pretty darn good ....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.