• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tuner before amp

That BBI amp Builder is getting a lot of Watts out of them stock sb220 .. but he is using 200 plus Watts drive though very interesting huh..

That BBI amp Builder is getting a lot of Watts out of them stock sb220 .. but he is using 200 plus Watts drive though very interesting huh..
The tubes won't last long at all doing that. There are a few modifications that need to be done to the 220 for AM. Otherwise don't plan on getting full rated power out of it. How long do you want the tubes to last?

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
No I was just letting y'all know what I seen on YouTube.. already spent for the harbach mods capacitors and metering board and fan so I think next would be the tubes. I'll be as happy as long as it will do 1200 pep

Just keep all this in mind. On AM its 50% duty cycle so no long keydowns.
upload_2018-10-4_14-16-12.png

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I wonder how ameritron gets 1000 Watts out of there one tube amp with the 3 500 Z tube

I wonder how ameritron gets 1000 Watts out of there one tube amp with the 3 500 Z tube

They exaggerate the rating. It has to be driven hard, overcoupled to keep the grid current down and they use that bs dynamic bias to improve efficiency. That amp also has a good ALC circuit that connects to the radio. The alc circuit monitors grid current and will throttle back the radio to protect the tube.

The al80b is only good for 125 to 150 watts carrier on AM and 600ish pep. I never run mine above 750 pep on ssb. It will do the advertised kw but that's ridiculous. Ameritron put enough power supply in the al80b to take full advantage of the tube. Heapshit did not. Also remember the al80b and most HF amps make less power on 10, 11 or 12 meters. I know a few cbers that were dissatisfied with their new ameritron.

You have to look at more than the tubes to determine what an amplifier is capable of. The sb220 will deliver 1200 pep on ssb without hurting anything as long as you tune it right. Compare the power supply and cooling system to an ameritron al82 or an old Henry amplifier that uses 3-500z tubes. The sb220 is light duty at best.

almost bought one and found out that they don't do what they say so everyone talked me into buying this Heathkit what you call Heap s*** I'm starting to agree with you you hit the nail on the keep Heap s***

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated