• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tuner before amp

That BBI amp Builder is getting a lot of Watts out of them stock sb220 .. but he is using 200 plus Watts drive though very interesting huh..

Similar mentality as running a supercharger and methanol fuel with nitrous in a small displacement rice-burner engine. It will be hard to touch on the street.......for a while........and then the engine explodes and it's game over. Now imaging that engine are the tubes in that amp.

I wonder how ameritron gets 1000 Watts out of there one tube amp with the 3 500 Z tube

A buddy of mine ran an Ameritron AL80 at 1Kw all the time. Eventually the paint blistered on the chassis and the tube failed in a spectacular display of light and a loud bang. I told him it went supernova. :ROFLMAO: It ended up in the landfill as it was burnt beyond cost effective repairs. :(

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
and about 900 on AM

Maybe. That depends on how you AM. For 900 pep would be somewhere around 225 watts carrier unless you get yourself a super swing kit from the local cb shop. I wouldn't feel comfortable making an old buzzard transmission with an sb220 at that power level. It would probably be fine if you didn't have much to say.

A few guys around here have smoked the plate transformer in theirs so I don't have a lot of confidence in the sb220 on AM. The ones that keep them alive at high power AM make the S-meter swing like tiger woods.

:whistle:
Maybe. That depends on how you AM. For 900 pep would be somewhere around 225 watts carrier unless you get yourself a super swing kit from the local cb shop. I wouldn't feel comfortable making an old buzzard transmission with an sb220 at that power level. It would probably be fine if you didn't have much to say.

A few guys around here have smoked the plate transformer in theirs so I don't have a lot of confidence in the sb220 on AM. The ones that keep them alive at high power AM make the S-meter swing like tiger woods.
So a 600w dead key is out of the question?

So a 600w dead key is out of the question?

Yes possible...If built around this type of Peter Dahl Transformer...otherwise in AM service 600-700 PEP Output is where I would use it...
Your talking about 3 db difference which is barely noticeable to human ear...
700 watts PEP vs. 1400 watts PEP

The difference between 600 watt PEP and 1000 watt PEP output....
The receiving station will NEVER know the difference!

HEATH SB-220-X2
OUTBOARD - POWER TRANSFORMER
CORE) A-518 C-CORE STYLE #) 10 HIPERSIL C-CORE

PR) 117/234 VAC 60 HZ WITH HI-LO TAPS

S1) 925/1175 VAC @ 3.5A CCS

DM) HT = 10.000 WT = 8.825 DT = 8.313 MD = 4.500 MW = 6.250
PRICE) $1,012.00 Plus S&H FOB Buffalo, NY WEIGHT) 66 LBS

All the Best
Gary

Before spending that kind of money upgrading the plate transformer I'd sell it and buy something better. The sb220 seems to sell well.

If I were to upgrade and outboard the plate transformer I'd go with one from ameritron. I believe the transformer for the al82, 1200 and 1500 is under $500. Then you could ditch the voltage doubler. You would still be lacking a proper cooling system.

just ordered the machlett 3 - 500 zg tubes. From Penta Laboratories in California.. my plate amps are very low when key with foot pedal.. .1 amps and modulating power through only swinging up to two-and-a-half to three not pass that at all.. my technician said the tubes are squished or soft need to be replaced

Does anyone sell parasitics suppressors for the sb220 online anywhere.. found some on eBay for $17 but they come out of France four to six-week ship time

You should be able to make these there is nothing special about them I have constructed the hairpins which arguably are better than the inductor types.
sb220 parasitic.jpg
Sorry I sketched this at my business computer and scanned it in as this is what I have always used not just on 220's but other amps as well.

I wish I could make something like that.. I would pay somebody whatever it would cost to make them and and for there time before I put my new tubes in.. I think I could handle soldering the one in on..

If you can solder you can make the suppressors. Find something round and wrap the wire around it to make a smooth bend. If you don't feep confident that's ok but it's an easy project.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.