• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner Super Sidekick Recap

I bought the kit from Klondike Mike (before I realized the little IC was the problem). The values in there weren't exactly the same, IIRC, but were as close as what's commonly available today will allow.
That's the issue I'm finding now. One cap in there is 50 microfarad at 25 volts and the others are 25 microfarad at 16 volt. But when I look at the schematics some of them are showing a pair of 10 microfarad on those positions and some schematics are showing a pair of twenties. So I ordered a couple of 22s and a 47, all three of them at 35 volts.

Tedss has a great selection, I bought some for an amp I was fixing.

Reactions: Greg T
Quick question. The caps on my amplifier board in my Turner plus 3 have the positives marked. I noticed just about everything in recent times the negative is marked. Now, the new ones I just received have a zero on them out of the picture attached, is that marking negative or positive?

Attachments

• 20220802_185954.jpg
    20220802_185954.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 16
Quick question. The caps on my amplifier board in my Turner plus 3 have the positives marked. I noticed just about everything in recent times the negative is marked. Now, the new ones I just received have a zero on them out of the picture attached, is that marking negative or positive?
That's a negative

Reactions: Greg T
Quick update, I got the caps in and the tone was still muffled with no presence whatsoever. So I swapped out the element with a parts Plus three I had here and now it works, and is crispy, but when I key up it has a roar noise in the background. Chineseium caps or something else? I know one element is dynamic and the other is ceramic, but why the roaring noise?

Last edited:
I bought the kit from Klondike Mike (before I realized the little IC was the problem). The values in there weren't exactly the same, IIRC, but were as close as what's commonly available today will allow.
Hi.. Just a thought .. I recently 1 rebuilt 3 ssk 1 CS1 and a plus 3b.. Ises audio quality caps that were close to the value of the originals.. Replaced the carbon resistors with metal film... Mad a huge difference in sound on all mics.. Just for kicks I replaced the mic elements with condenser elements.. All mics sound great.. More sensitive and louder but very clear.. Found a assortment of audio caps and resistors on Amazon .. And the condenser mod found on ebay.. . Getting nice complements on my audio on both am and ssb..

Reactions: dave457 and Greg T
Hi.. Just a thought .. I recently 1 rebuilt 3 ssk 1 CS1 and a plus 3b.. Ises audio quality caps that were close to the value of the originals.. Replaced the carbon resistors with metal film... Mad a huge difference in sound on all mics.. Just for kicks I replaced the mic elements with condenser elements.. All mics sound great.. More sensitive and louder but very clear.. Found a assortment of audio caps and resistors on Amazon .. And the condenser mod found on ebay.. . Getting nice complements on my audio on both am and ssb..

Once you changed the element it is no longer a true SSK CS1 or Plus 3.

Once you changed the element it is no longer a true SSK CS1 or Plus 3.
This is true.. I got these used in a lot all had problems .. And realy beat up.. Rebuilding them all including new wireing helped greatly ..3 had bad elements .. Worked but mufcl9 n fussy. I'll b using these for my personal use or to give to family and friends that are getting back into cb.. While not original still working great.. I saved the good original elements for future use or if someone needs.. I also have 3 plus 2 ssb given to me in parts all missing elements .. Or amps and relays.. Going to see if I can get at least 2 of them working .. Future project

I'm kind of "late to the dance".... but this is a place that often has many of the older original values in caps of all kinds... even electrolytics. Just sending so you will have the link available in the future.

One other place I will send.... "Sal's Capacitor Corner". One good thing I got from old64goat's channel on YouTube.

I'm kind of "late to the dance".... but this is a place that often has many of the older original values in caps of all kinds... even electrolytics. Just sending so you will have the link available in the future.

One other place I will send.... "Sal's Capacitor Corner". One good thing I got from old64goat's channel on YouTube.

I ordered a couple times from Klondike Mike's.. It took a little while to get here but got quality caps ..forva couple mics and radios

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I ordered a couple times from Klondike Mike's.. It took a little while to get here but got quality caps ..forva couple mics and radios
Unless you're ordering caps in bulk Klondike Mike's kits are probably the best way to go. I've made the mistake of ordering a kit from another vendor and what I got was... not good.

Reactions: Smack32

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated