• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Under performing base station remedy

Radiomatrix

May 19, 2023
Northern Virginia
I have a President Washington recently back from the repair shop.

It is only putting out 2 watts. That’s the report.

If output is low, does this mean reception is low as well?

Is there an amplifier out there I could use to bump me up to the allowable wattage?

thanks

The name "President Washington" only narrows you down to two radios. The first version came with a 4-pin mike socket. The later, and far more-common radio has a five-pin mike socket.

If your car won't go faster than 30 mph, more than one fault could cause this. For that matter, if it's over 40 years old like the 4-pin Washington you would expect more than "just one" thing to be outside the range of original specs.

Either version of the radio is literally full of alignment adjustments that affect performance. Some of them affect only the receive side, some just the transmit side and a few of them will influence both. The older the radio the more likely that one or more of those adjustments has drifted too far for the adjustable tuning "slug" to compensate fully.

When you hear advice that "alignment" is the first remedy to try, this reflects the habit some folks have to twist the tuning adjustments improperly, reducing either the sensitivity of the receiver, the transmit power or both.

Sometimes the process of setting all those adjustments to the properly "peaked" position fixes this kind of problem.

Sometimes not so much, but until that procedure has been done, nobody knows. The other result from the alignment procedure is to point out any adjustments that don't respond with a proper "peak" result when they are turned. A slug that won't peak indicates where a component has failed in the circuit it shares with that adjustment.

Just one small problem. You have to know how those adjustments SHOULD respond when turned to identify this kind of fault. Takes that bit of experience and some test equipment, both.

In my experience, your symptom suggests that at least one alignment adjustment has been turned to its physical end of travel, and fails to register a proper resonant "peak" response.

Sounds like what you need is someone who can identify this sort of marginal fault and has the tools to do it, both.

Not the only way this kind of fault can develop, just the most common that I have seen. The older the radio, the more likely it becomes.

I'm not a radio technician, but wouldn't the first prudent move be replacing all the 40 year old electrolytic capacitors that are no doubt considerably out of tolerance? Before even thinking about doing an alignment? The OP didn't mention what the radio was in the shop for.

I'm not a radio technician, but wouldn't the first prudent move be replacing all the 40 year old electrolytic capacitors that are no doubt considerably out of tolerance? Before even thinking about doing an alignment? The OP didn't mention what the radio was in the shop for.

What if you replace all capacitors and radio will be performing the same or worst than before? Replace all resistors or what?

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I have lugged the radio around for 40 years and always stored it carefully. I wrote President Electronics because I wanted to sent it back to the factory for evaluation and tuneup but I didnt want to send it to just any shop. President had me send it to Exit 42 Electronics, in Troutman, NC. They said any Washington repair is sent there. I sent it to have it checked out. I spent a lot of money to have it packed up and then shipped by UPS. I had it returned to me via USPS. That’s all I can say at this point.

Not really. For example in my amp, in HV doubler I have electrolytic capacitors made in 60's still better capacity than caps I could buy present day,

The point is: first diagnose failure, before ripping radio apart without a clue.
@Radiomatrix Stay away from that repair shop. Find skilled one or take RF probe, align TX path and come back with result.
Mike

Last edited:
I have lugged the radio around for 40 years and always stored it carefully. I wrote President Electronics because I wanted to sent it back to the factory for evaluation and tuneup but I didnt want to send it to just any shop. President had me send it to Exit 42 Electronics, in Troutman, NC. They said any Washington repair is sent there. I sent it to have it checked out. I spent a lot of money to have it packed up and then shipped by UPS. I had it returned to me via USPS. That’s all I can say at this point.
Wow where do I start. So your radio is over 35 years old, the modern day Pesident company has no freeking idea about your radio. Find a good cb shop to check it out. It might just be fine as is. I bet with a 2 wat dead key on AM you will do 12-16 watts peak. On SSB you will do at least 12-18 watts PEP. Like I said the modern day President company has no clue about your radio.

I saw some other posts you made about an amplifier. Just get a Kl203 or 203P an let er rip. Get a decent peak reading watt meter and see where your at. Use a six foot jumper coax between the radio and amp. I hope you at lest understand this so far.

Wow where do I start. So your radio is over 35 years old, the modern day Pesident company has no freeking idea about your radio. Find a good cb shop to check it out. It might just be fine as is. I bet with a 2 wat dead key on AM you will do 12-16 watts peak. On SSB you will do at least 12-18 watts PEP. Like I said the modern day President company has no clue about your radio.

I saw some other posts you made about an amplifier. Just get a Kl203 or 203P an let er rip. Get a decent peak reading watt meter and see where your at. Use a six foot jumper coax between the radio and amp. I hope you at lest understand this so far.
Yes. I understand.

I live in the Washington DC metro area, and I do not have a radio shop to go to that I know of.

I understand there is a radio shop near Wilmington, DE, which is not too far where I go to kiteboard....

but before I go there it was suggested I inquire here or make a new post perhaps there are members here that work on radios or know of unlisted shops in my area.

Amplifier: My head is still stuck in the late 70's/early 80's when Linears on AM were annoying outlaw activity-LOL. With that said, either the KL-203p or the weaker KL-60 are the two I am looking at, not for price, but for application and or nuisance potential in my neighborhood.

I have a 30W 12v power source on the way and a good jumper made from some Davis buryflex.

The name "President Washington" only narrows you down to two radios. The first version came with a 4-pin mike socket. The later, and far more-common radio has a five-pin mike socket.

If your car won't go faster than 30 mph, more than one fault could cause this. For that matter, if it's over 40 years old like the 4-pin Washington you would expect more than "just one" thing to be outside the range of original specs.

Either version of the radio is literally full of alignment adjustments that affect performance. Some of them affect only the receive side, some just the transmit side and a few of them will influence both. The older the radio the more likely that one or more of those adjustments has drifted too far for the adjustable tuning "slug" to compensate fully.

When you hear advice that "alignment" is the first remedy to try, this reflects the habit some folks have to twist the tuning adjustments improperly, reducing either the sensitivity of the receiver, the transmit power or both.

Sometimes the process of setting all those adjustments to the properly "peaked" position fixes this kind of problem.

Sometimes not so much, but until that procedure has been done, nobody knows. The other result from the alignment procedure is to point out any adjustments that don't respond with a proper "peak" result when they are turned. A slug that won't peak indicates where a component has failed in the circuit it shares with that adjustment.

Just one small problem. You have to know how those adjustments SHOULD respond when turned to identify this kind of fault. Takes that bit of experience and some test equipment, both.

In my experience, your symptom suggests that at least one alignment adjustment has been turned to its physical end of travel, and fails to register a proper resonant "peak" response.

Sounds like what you need is someone who can identify this sort of marginal fault and has the tools to do it, both.

Not the only way this kind of fault can develop, just the most common that I have seen. The older the radio, the more likely it becomes.

Thank you. It is the 4-pin model. Looking for sage radio shop with know how to give my rig a proper once over.

UPDATE: I brought my radio to a real radio shop in the Wilmington Delaware area. R&R radio shop. It’s very nice to go to a shop. Tim tested my radio and checked out just fine. on the a.m. side it keyed a little over 4 W and the single sideband side was a little weak at 6 to 8 W Which is low and they’re going to keep it and adjust it to accommodate the amplifier I’m about to get. I have some words for that shop that I sent it to that I won’t repeat here. The founding owner and key technician of the shop of 49 years passed away suddenly in April and they are still reeling from the vacuum.

Attachments

• IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 17
That's good news, I'm sure they will get it working for you. A 4 watt dead key might be a bit high for a KL203 or 203p amplifier.

Reactions: Radiomatrix

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.