• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB - crowdsource the frequency mod?

This radio has been 3/4 cracked just hang in there. Problem right now is the goal is getting 10 meters out of it and I believe its opened up to 27.785.00 problem right now is after that the PLL goes nuts and jumps allover the place.

Problem 2 is the frequency read out is just that a readout so it will not track with extra channels so radio may say channel 40 27.405.00 but without a counter you wont see your on 27.785.00 it wont be long they have really tightened and locked this radio down and yes it was due to FCC as Uniden was on thin ice as most know ;)

It will get there just as every radio does. There will most likely even be an export version as it will boost sales for Uniden and when the European export model comes out you know darn well they will surface by the truck loads back to the USA ;)

So either way it will eventually happen so it just hangon for the ride at this point.

Yes indeed, but I want my clarifier opened up, and still don't have a clear cut mod to report to my tech on that !!!! The beep for channels is easy as it gets to remedy though Tony...

Retro 73's

I don't mess with to many CB's or Export (Glorified) CB radios all of my HF rigs do all this and more Ive been actually selling all this 11 meter stuff I collected through the years and thought Ide never sell. Ive got a lot more to go through and get rid of and I just keep finding more and more everytime Im searching for something I knew I had a lot but this is ridiculous!! LMAO!!

Anyways with the FCC buckling down its whats gonna end up happening as far as getting radios approved ;)

I don't mess with to many CB's or Export (Glorified) CB radios all of my HF rigs do all this and more

Have to say I agree. If you were going to end up with a rig that would outperform others then there's a reason to carry on but when you can just go buy a President Grant 2 that'll perform pretty much equally there comes a point where its not worth continuing.

some people just want to mod their radios. like the cobra 29LTD I see so many modded and upper and lower channels and echo installed. you can buy a radio from the factory pretty well this way and a lot cheaper than having it done. truck drivers here want the cobra 29 ltd and modded over the export radios. some claim they hold up better than the exports in the trucks. mainly the rock haulers here in Oklahoma.

Quit messing with that 980 sell it on Ebay and buy a new Grant II does what you want your 980 to do can do half channels and goes from 26 something to almost 30 something, sure would be cheaper for you and it's the same size radio

Hi folks...

Unlike the old HTX-10 10m rig and perhaps other Part 95 rigs that have the PLL and microcontroller "all in one" [and with no offset oscillators to play with etc.] the Bearcat 980 indeed does have a separate PLL right out in the open.

The PLL is a separate MCD2926 that is accessible via a serial port (IIRC, 3 pins -
clock, data, enable) that can easily be monitored/logged via simple PC tools.
Communications with the host NEC CPU can be cut off by board foil cuts
and a separate CPU used to run the PLL and/or other devices.

In fact, logging all the pins of the CPU and any I/O expanders for various modes
& rig operatng states then replicating/extening them with another controller should allow the NEC CPU to be removed and replaced by some other device - maybe a little "solder centric" though.... many of the IOs on the NEC CPU will be for LCD segments anyway.

Frankly there's really no need for the fancy control panel on the radio and just replace
logic + display.

73 de Bill N6AOT

Hi folks...

Unlike the old HTX-10 10m rig and perhaps other Part 95 rigs that have the PLL and microcontroller "all in one" [and with no offset oscillators to play with etc.] the Bearcat 980 indeed does have a separate PLL right out in the open.

The PLL is a separate MCD2926 that is accessible via a serial port (IIRC, 3 pins -
clock, data, enable) that can easily be monitored/logged via simple PC tools.
Communications with the host NEC CPU can be cut off by board foil cuts
and a separate CPU used to run the PLL and/or other devices.

In fact, logging all the pins of the CPU and any I/O expanders for various modes
& rig operatng states then replicating/extening them with another controller should allow the NEC CPU to be removed and replaced by some other device - maybe a little "solder centric" though.... many of the IOs on the NEC CPU will be for LCD segments anyway.

Frankly there's really no need for the fancy control panel on the radio and just replace
logic + display.

73 de Bill N6AOT
Interesting, so you mean control the PLL logic with an old style channel select knob/diode matrix?
I'll have to look into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Just let me know when you figure out an easy mod that just requires clipping something :) Didn't own mine for long, if it could have gone to 27.555 would have been a keeper, I liked everything else about it, had good sound with an aftermarket mike.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.