• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB - crowdsource the frequency mod?

That won't happen unless the D78F0483 microprocessor chip is removed, and a new one is reprogrammed and resoldered in its place. It's only programmed to read 26.965 ~ 27.405. You can't reprogram the existing chip, it'll burn out. To make matters worse, it requires special software and hardware to program. Went thru the datasheet for it, all 203 pages of it. Yikes. Not worth it, IMO. A good old hand-written "roadmap" will have to do for a while. :LOL:

~Cheers~

i read the same thing and it looks like the chip has provisions for JTAG... if this is the case, it might be able to have certain values tweaked in its ROM via serial JTAG... anyone know if the board has a JTAG port/pads??? the only problem would be the security/password code for unlocking the chips rom... and figuring out what hexcode in what memory spaces would need to be changed.... (like how a game genie works)

i do own a 980ssb.... but i dont feel like brickin my radio.... :whistle:

EDIT

Also i see provisions for sensing to set parameters with this chip (via addition or subtraction of resistance) SO in theory if uniden utilized this in the firmware, all you would have to do is find and mod the resistance fed in to the logic circuit to add features (demo mode works like that) kinda like setting a jumper... god if only we had the full schematics and source code!!!! this thing has potential if it was flashed with a custom rom

Last edited:
:headbang dam, thought this had a complete microcontroller... still, if it has a JTAG on ether part, its worth probin... just to see whats hiding...

still the #1 reason i have this and not an import is the looks... it just matches everything in my car... so anyword on schematics or service manual yet?

I'm all for your cause but you are assuming the PLL chip was even wired in a way that would let a software hack rx/tx out of band. I Know some guys that develop and design embedded solutions like the front-end to a modern uniden radio and these kinds of considerations go into the original requirements/RFP documents.

Ok, did some more digging into the radio.

The only way to get channels is thru a crystal swap. I studied the datasheet for the PLL they use, and what they're doing is using seperate VCOs for the TX and RX, now you can insert a reference divider on the output pin(s), but there's an output pin for both TX AND RX. That being said, you'd need 2 reference dividers, and at that, you'd have to make sure the TX output and the RX output match. In some radios, they do not match (like the 455khz T/R shift in a Cobra 29 LTD for example), therefore putting 2 reference dividers will not work. Next week I plan on ordering 2 crystals from Jan Crystals, 1 crystal @ 10.6917Mhz for 40 up, and 1 crystal @ 9.7917Mhz for 40 down. I'll see if I can switch out the crystals with diode or relay switching, so perhaps I won't need to make an oscillator to amplify the output of each crystal. Will post new info when I can. :)

~Cheers~

Hey ExitTHIRTEEN, Were you ever able to finish with your experiments on channel mod for the Bearcat 980 ssb bro, cos I've got one and would like to add some uppers at least and I'm not in the know how to do that even ????

Retro 73's

While not a powerhouse of a radio, for the money this is one of the best entry level cb/SSB radios going right now. Mine was dead on freq right out of the box and with the wireless mic is a pleasure to use. Haven't ran mine in a while, too many radios, but this one is a keeper even though it can't be modded much.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
While not a powerhouse of a radio, for the money this is one of the best entry level cb/SSB radios going right now. Mine was dead on freq right out of the box and with the wireless mic is a pleasure to use. Haven't ran mine in a while, too many radios, but this one is a keeper even though it can't be modded much.

I'll 2nd that bro, yeah a keeper ! Just hope to get the clarifer opened at least and looks like that mod to quit the silly beeps when turning channels and so forth is so easy !

Retro

This radio has been 3/4 cracked just hang in there. Problem right now is the goal is getting 10 meters out of it and I believe its opened up to 27.785.00 problem right now is after that the PLL goes nuts and jumps allover the place The clarifiers also cracked and opened.

Problem 2 is the frequency read out is just that a readout so it will not track with extra channels so radio may say channel 40 27.405.00 but without a counter you wont see your on 27.785.00 it wont be long they have really tightened and locked this radio down and yes it was due to FCC as Uniden was on thin ice as most know ;)

It will get there just as every radio does. There will most likely even be an export version as it will boost sales for Uniden and when the European export model comes out you know darn well they will surface by the truck loads back to the USA ;)

So either way it will eventually happen so it just hangon for the ride at this point I can direct you to a place that can do the clarifier its all extremely small Surface Mount Technology

Last edited:
Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.