• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB - crowdsource the frequency mod?

Interesting, so you mean control the PLL logic with an old style channel select knob/diode matrix?
I'll have to look into this.

No. The PLL uses serial communications to set the frequency. You'd need to know the serial commands, which should be available by "sniffing" the comms between the processor and the PLL. Once you have the commands you can then program them into another processor to run the PLL.

Yes, I simplified a lot and there's probably other ways to get the data.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Just sounds like too much work for what you want. Heck like someone else said, get a Grant 2 and be done.
As for the 980, it's the best bang for the buck for a CB/SSB FCC certified radio out at the moment. JMHO. I'd run one of the 980's over a galaxy radio all day!! At least I know the 980 won't be drifting!! JMHO's. Good day.

Reactions: Robb
A decent amp will put out more watts than even your most powerful modded CB's, if you want power trying to squeeze it out of the SO-239 on the back of the radio isn't the best way to do it.

Reactions: 222DBFL
No. The PLL uses serial communications to set the frequency. You'd need to know the serial commands, which should be available by "sniffing" the comms between the processor and the PLL. Once you have the commands you can then program them into another processor to run the PLL.

Yes, I simplified a lot and there's probably other ways to get the data.
Okay, the over-simplification had me confused; Mark19960 (of youTube) has also cracked it, but it requires a PC and cannot remember the channel you left off on if you power down the unit. No practical at all, but possible.

He sniffed the serial data using a Bus Pirate if I remember correctly.
I would start by looking for UART points.

And please don't email him asking for the secret sauce on a silver platter, nobody likes hand-outs.
Some hackers never discuss the methods they use. If you watch his videos on the 980 you can figure out what needs to be done.

I use a generic: http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT232R.htm programming module (cheap) for usb to uart projects.. Search for the FTDI usb to serial adapter to find the cheap units pre-made (for Arduino pro mini).

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping that someone would figure out a series of button pushes, or something, lol. Sort of like a tech code, similar to accessing programming to a burglar or fire alarm; no special equipment needed. Tech just pushes the right series of buttons, and makes desired changes.

Uniden is laughing all the way to the bank, they come out with a radio that is hard to mod and all the fools are screwing up theirs so they are selling like hot cakes. Supply and demand at its finest.

Uniden is laughing all the way to the bank, they come out with a radio that is hard to mod and all the fools are screwing up theirs so they are selling like hot cakes. Supply and demand at its finest.
Agreed, screwdrivers and "solder guns" don't match well with SMT.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.