• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB - crowdsource the frequency mod?

Swap out the 10.2417 crystal. Bam, extra 40 channels. Make a small PCB with the original crystal and the new crystal with trimmer caps to line them up, and a relay to switch the crystals, and solder it right over the spot where the crystal solders into the main PCB. Solder in a toggle switch with the relay to switch it on and off, and done. Regular 40, plus 40 up or down of your choice.

~Cheers~

that will work Exit13, but the display will not match up with the new channels.
its not an actual freq counter, but just a display from what i've been told.
LC

Reactions: LeapFrog
Swap out the 10.2417 crystal. Bam, extra 40 channels. Make a small PCB with the original crystal and the new crystal with trimmer caps to line them up, and a relay to switch the crystals, and solder it right over the spot where the crystal solders into the main PCB. Solder in a toggle switch with the relay to switch it on and off, and done. Regular 40, plus 40 up or down of your choice.

~Cheers~
ExitThirteen, thank you for the idea here!
Have you ever setup a 980 with a different crystal?
It's just "plug-n-play"?
I'm just wondering if no kind of security checks the crystal's frequency somehow!?
Thank You, Best Regards

This guy has more on the ball in the "computer-to-PLL" department than anyone else I have found.

This isn't the only 980 vid he did, but tends to explain the challenges.

Getting more frequencies AND getting the display to show them are two totally separate challenges for this radio. The frequency coming out of the PLL is not what you see on the display, only what the internal computer THINKS it should be.

This guy has more on the ball in the "computer-to-PLL" department than anyone else I have found.
That guy, Mark of mark19960 on Y.T. he is the person that helped me understand (through his videos) what needs to be done for the display and his way of the channel mod, but I didn't realize a simple crystal switch would work until I visited WWDX. (y)

Your statement: "computer-to-PLL" is the best way to some it up.

Maybe I over looked the crystal swap as it is an "easy-way-out" without control over the frequency being displayed, but I feel an experienced operator could take advantage of a crystal switch! :D

Last edited:
Yeah mark is very talented and has the ability to give more channels in his board it also includes other features that should have been included from the factory but he really doesn't market his board and trust me I've tried to reach out to him

Yes the channel king board works. Probably less then 50 were ever made and they have been discontinued by the guy who built them.

I think the Channel King was an exercise in proving it could be done. In the videos he made about it Mark talks about the process he used to figure out how to program the PLL, what he was thinking about while developing the firmware, etc.

Seems like it wasn't too long after getting everything updated for the newer 980 chassis that he lost interest. I'd guess it's because he'd proved what he set out to prove.

But if anyone wants to talk to him about licensing his design and firmware, go for it. Worst case he says no.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated