• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington

Take the switch and exercise it. Flip it back and forth real fast about 20 times and maybe it will clean itself out. Not real hard but enough so it gets the idea to start working. This can usually get it going at least for a short time doing that and it is quick and easy to do. Some Deoxit cleaner will usually do wonders if the exercise helps. This is the first thing I do when I get an old radio that has been sitting for a long time. I flip and turn every selector as a matter of course.

The reason they keep asking you to check the voltage in LSB and AM on the two small posts is to make sure your result matches the symptom. If the problem isn't the switch, replacing it would be a monumental waste of time.

We have used this switch for some other SSB CB radios.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-Rotary...hash=item1e5933e6cf:m:mK3U13HjNTJaTNNpPFCpnWQ

But not for this brand/model radio.

The numbering on the lugs may or may not match the original. If they don't, you'll have to map out where the wires go yourself.

Don't have any step-by-step detailed info on using this switch as a replacement. It should work if it's wired right.

An Ebay search might turn up the original part. Don't have Uniden's original part number handy.

Would this help?

The radio uses a 4 Pole 3 position switch - means it has 4 poles one common terminal for each of those poles - and three terminals using that particular common pole ...

So what you're dealing with is the below...
Madison4P3Tswitch1.jpg

One of those poles gets power from the switch TO it's common terminal FROM the other terminals - the other pole of the switch SUPPLIES power to the terminals from the common.

So if "Dead" verify by measuring to ground each of those 4 terminals and tells us the mode that switch was set to when you do this - we should be able out figure out the rest...just use a set that has wires on it at least three - it will help immensely.

Refer to the above to help guide you, it's not exact but your terminal "Numbers" may differ.

:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
Madison was from another project I was working on when CB Tricks Forums were still up and running. There was some discussion from others about the 148GTL wiring and "what do you do" if the switch was bad - at least you could get it working again because the 148 used 3 out of the 4-poles - so you simply transferred to that last remaining unused pole and away they went. Grants were the same way, so were a lot of others.

I took some photos of that for wiring color code purposes and then I noticed we needed something similar for a lot of the other radios' that were made and based upon that Mode Selector Switch design. I was drafting a project for someone when the forum crashed into the dirt.

I do find it interesting there were a lot and I do mean A LOT of similarities amongst the radios made from that era - kinda' cool to see but sorry to see much of it is lost on low-inventory and thrown away - sad.

Thanks for letting me help!

:+> Andy <+:

Congrats Ben!

looking at the schematic that Nomad provided in one of his posts, you can see that one section of the mode switch is dedicated to just switching voltage to one of three LEDs that indicate which mode you are in.

one of the wires in that section goes to 13.8vdc and switching the switch will apply that 13.8v to one side of the corresponding LED.

meter that out and you will find your problem.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.