• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgrade or wasting my money

Ziploc

Mar 19, 2016
Morning, I currently run a Dustin cobra 29 and a 2 pill 1446 old palamor . I’m debating buying this would I gain or no one wouldn’t ever here or see a difference??? Thank you all. My 2 pill Dk 45 out and sounds awesome.

Attachments

• F9282C4E-E248-46A1-A3CF-C82414A9128E.jpeg
    F9282C4E-E248-46A1-A3CF-C82414A9128E.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 142

Save the money. Only you can see that wattmeter. The receiver meter at the other end works very differently.

Unless you come up with a four-to-one boost over what you have now, nobody will know but you. And even a four-to-one difference will be modest.

Think about the difference between the barefoot-radio power level and what comes out of the linear. Probably in the ballpark of ten-to-one.

If you want that same before-and-after difference you need a box ten times the size of the current one.

And a few other things to make it work besides just the amplifier.

The first step up in power from the barefoot radio is the cheapest.

But past that starting point, every added S-unit on the receive meter at the other end will cost more than those first few numbers you get from the box you're using.

The higher the wattage, the more expensive every S-unit becomes.

Save the money. Only you can see that wattmeter. The receiver meter at the other end works very differently.

Unless you come up with a four-to-one boost over what you have now, nobody will know but you. And even a four-to-one difference will be modest.

Think about the difference between the barefoot-radio power level and what comes out of the linear. Probably in the ballpark of ten-to-one.

If you want that same before-and-after difference you need a box ten times the size of the current one.

And a few other things to make it work besides just the amplifier.

The first step up in power from the barefoot radio is the cheapest.

But past that starting point, every added S-unit on the receive meter at the other end will cost more than those first few numbers you get from the box you're using.

Thank you

Your current system has it's own power supply issues.
Although an older system - if you treat it PROPERLY, (READ: Non-COMP) it'll last nearly forever, or at least work thru your life time - that is; if it's being treated right.

Now, since the other one you're thinking about is also a 2 pill, why stick with that platform?

You already have one.

You know it's performance.

Unless you need to replace, keyword REPLACE - then any upgrade you'll need to invest more into the box, and its own needs...BOX being - the thing that holds all this together - not just the amplifier.

upload_2021-9-8_8-24-0.png

See @nomadradio - post - there used to be a factor called $$-per watt - still is, but now it's not really in the amplifier - the biggest investment comes from the SUPPORT it will need to accomplish the upgrade, that is my concern. It should also be yours.

You'd do more damage to the equipment trying to fit the higher pill counts into the same "box" - referring to what that box is already in - Upgrade means Upgrade - making it bigger and better improving it's capacity - not JUST making it "fit."

That is the case when we keep looking for the next 6db to come from the FPA or a doubling in the length of the boom. What happens if we take the two opposing side bands of AM and electronically bring the two into perfect phase alignment?

The results on the spectrum analyzer are quite surprising. The bandwidth has been cut in half and that's a 3db advantage. The best part is the modulation from both side bands now overlap each other in half of the bandwidth, with twice the modulation index. That's another 3db advantage.

If you understand how selective fade degrades the typical AM signal in DX propagation, keep in mind this modulation technique does not produce an opposing side band...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated