• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vertical Beam

Feb 4, 2015
saying hello from the state of Indiana!...got a question for beam users, ive been in the mobile for the last ten years or so and its time to set up the base.Now what got me really in to this whole base idea is because almost everytime people talk there's that one idiot on the radio who thinks 1500watts is king around the town on a Imax2000.Most if not all my locals are fiberglass verticals,and im thinking of getting the Maco 103c and putting it vertical, now lets say this douche is on the air and btw he's only 6 miles from me, i point that Maco at him.How much of a difference me going from a A99 to a vertical beam in a situation like that.I want to pooh on this guys party. I dont care if he talks over me,I just want this tool to hear me and really only me

saying hello from the state of Indiana!...got a question for beam users, ive been in the mobile for the last ten years or so and its time to set up the base.Now what got me really in to this whole base idea is because almost everytime people talk there's that one idiot on the radio who thinks 1500watts is king around the town on a Imax2000.Most if not all my locals are fiberglass verticals,and im thinking of getting the Maco 103c and putting it vertical, now lets say this douche is on the air and btw he's only 6 miles from me, i point that Maco at him.How much of a difference me going from a A99 to a vertical beam in a situation like that.I want to pooh on this guys party. I dont care if he talks over me,I just want this tool to hear me and really only me
Yoy A99 has about 3dBi of gain, The Imax has about 5dBi of gain. A 3 element yagi has about 8 - 9 dBi of gain. So if both staions are using the same power, feedline, and antenna height, you will have 3dB more signal. That is twice the signal he has.
Rich

seeing how ya going with a beam id setup and get a 5 element maco. also
try ya best to get your antenna higher than his .[height is might]maqybe more so
than antenna gain.lastly , DONT skimp on coax i use jefatech lowloss 400.same as lmr 400 with slightly better numbers ,lmr 400 is good too though

ok I'M going with the 104c.Looked at the maco 105c and really for the extra element doesnt seem to do much more than the 104c. So with about 2500watts thru this monster he should only hear me! i hope to hear you some of you out on the band in about a week or 2...314 from Indiana

What you are asking is to get others on board with your power struggle to justify the end game.

I'll tell ya, that the FCC doesn't care which one of you runs power, they will just scoop up whoever does use it and fine them.

Uncle Charlie is listening . . .

Reactions: wavrider
i didnt come here to invite anyone into any power struggle, all i was looking for was an alternative to whooping this guys ###

What you are asking is to get others on board with your power struggle to justify the end game.

I'll tell ya, that the FCC doesn't care which one of you runs power, they will just scoop up whoever does use it and fine them.

Uncle Charlie is listening . . .
I've only in 20 years had a problem with 1 person on the radio and was looking for the alternative cause someone hides behind a radio..that's all...and your whole comment is null to the fact that running power is illegal and i know this but your running a galaxy 99v, which is all in the same

I run a Galaxy 99v 10m radio in my mobile on the 10m band. I also run a Yaesu FT-7800 with a Diamond dual band antenna in my vehicle. I run a thoroughly restored old Cobra 148GTL for a base with a Sirio 4 element horizontal Yagi on CB. So?
But this isn't about me . . .

You are dealing with a guy running 1500w of power into a Imax vertical and you are saying that you want to 'shut him down' and 'whoop his azz'. Fine. Call the FCC. Just be sure you are legal - as well as your friends are legal - before you make that call . . .

Last edited:
No one wins in a power war per say.

Except the tech that gets to repair the burned up splatter box amplifiers that break from over driving them.

A set of beams is a great idea, best investment you can make for your station.
Antenna is 95% of your signal.

You can use the yagi to "null" the guy out of your receive.

Better yet get all the locals to put up horizontal dipoles, and all of you locals can talk to each other and he can not cover you up due to the 18 to 20bd difference from vertical to horizontal polarization.

Not to mention the ground gain you get from using a horizontal antenna.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/wb4yjtdipolepatterns.html

yes a simple horizontal dipole has almost the same gain as a three element vertical yagi.

only needs to be 1/2 wl above ground, 18ft.

can be built of simple wire you may have laying around in the garage .

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.